Asking permission

Hutcho

Good morning guys

I am thinking ahead to next season a lot this morning. I would like to find some more local ground to chase some quail on. Would it be inappropriate or ineffective to mail letters to some local land owners asking for permission? Looking on OnX is seems like half of them don't even live around here, so hard to go knocking on doors. Anyway just a thought, would love to hear some feedback.

Pic just because.

Attachments

• Resized_20221211_140623.jpeg
    Resized_20221211_140623.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 1
I've actually been on the receiving end of the letters before we sold off some land. It was for deer hunters and we already had it leased for that so it just went in the trash. But i really feel for the guy more and more now....

Looking on OnX is seems like half of them don't even live around here
If half of them aren't local, the other half must be. I would focus on the local ones and try to get permission in person. As birddude indicated, an in-person visit is always more professional. Go visit them in September or October before the season starts and see how many allow it.

If you can't visit them in person I'd call them. I've gotten on ground with a phone call and a conversation. Then I always send them a little thank you card in the mail after the hunt. Not sure how a letter would go over, probably in the trash.

I don't know if they still do but the old Iowa plat books had the owner's address and phone # in them. So, if we were looking at a piece of ground that we knew the guy live a good way off. In the early days sometimes, they would be surprised that we even asked as most just trespassed. If they did say yes, and if it was good, we always followed up with a personal visit and a small present. If it was great a Christmas cheese/summer sausage gift was sent. The main point being to make them remember you for the next year.

Some guys are better than others at getting permission. I'm not very good. But it's been my experience that it's a lot easier for a landowner to say no on the phone than in person, so I'm guessing most of the letters will simply go in the trash can.
My odds are twice as good just asking in person, especially when I’m alone. One man and a couple dogs are not as overwhelming as three trucks sitting in the driveway

Funny you mentioned this, I sent a letter to a landowner just last week. The letter was not the ask, and did not ask for a response. It was just to introduce myself and lay the groundwork for a phone call. Not sure when I'll call, thinking maybe next week to ask for permission for the 23rd. If I get a "yes", a handwritten thank you card is going out after I hunt, whether it was good or bad.

Generally I have good luck over the phone, but almost all of them are repeat asks, people I've met before face-to-face, or referrals. The landowner above will be the first "stranger" I've called in quite some time.

I take my son (14) along a lot of times as well. I'll have him call and thank the person for letting us hunt. I teach middle school kids and most have terrible communication skills now a days. It's usually something that needs taught, he's learning and has gotten a lot better at it over the past couple years.

Some guys are better than others at getting permission. I'm not very good. But it's been my experience that it's a lot easier for a landowner to say no on the phone than in person, so I'm guessing most of the letters will simply go in the trash can.
Good morning guys

I am thinking ahead to next season a lot this morning. I would like to find some more local ground to chase some quail on. Would it be inappropriate or ineffective to mail letters to some local land owners asking for permission? Looking on OnX is seems like half of them don't even live around here, so hard to go knocking on doors. Anyway just a thought, would love to hear some feedback.

Pic just because.
In my experience it is always best to ask in person , if permission is granted I would do it again at least for 1-2 more year following.. I would think after that you could mail a letter asking… however I would also after the hunt go and report the hunt to the landowner, good or bad.

I take my son (14) along a lot of times as well. I'll have him call and thank the person for letting us hunt. I teach middle school kids and most have terrible communication skills now a days. It's usually something that needs taught, he's learning and has gotten a lot better at it over the past couple years.
Kids are the best. Unfortunately I will have to wait a few years for my grandson to get old enough to use. He isn’t even really talking yet.😀

Go alone, or bring a kid if at all possible. Leave a 6 pack of Hamms, maybe a turkey. My cousin is sort of retarded, so he usually gets permission, and brings me in.

I think I'm gonna spend some weekends driving around next year and knocking on doors. Take my boy (11 now) along and a plate of his world famous chocolate chip cookies and see where that gets us...

I think I'm gonna spend some weekends driving around next year and knocking on doors. Take my boy (11 now) along and a plate of his world famous chocolate chip cookies and see where that gets us...
When my nephew was a kid,we got permission on some great place. I pretended like I was deaf, and my nephew and I signed.

Back