Anyone Here Hunt Watertown Area????

We may be passing through that region in the fall to visit family and I'm just wondering how the public land hunting is in that area? Is there a lot of public opportunity to bag birds? Just wondering if it's worth driving out with the dogs or leave the dogs at home and just fly out for the visit.

Thanks in advance.

I’d look at the SD public land atlas; pretty confident that you’re not too far from public land…pretty sure no matter where you are in SD you’re not far from public land!😆

https://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=946eccdaadf84df6aa2bcf08e9fb1aaf

Plenty of public land in the area. Not the highest amount of birds, but also not the highest amount of hunters either. Personally, if I was traveling from a distance I would go another 1-3 hours southwest, west, or northwest but if you have decent dogs, shooting, weather, and know what you are looking for to find "birdy area," you'll certainly have your chance at some birds.

Good advice…but next fall will be different of course. A buddy and I hunted a public spot within an hour of W-town this fall and shot about 15 roosters over the 3-4 outings…within a few miles of a pretty large city…light pressure…kind of like fishing…move around a lot, you may find ‘em!

I’d look at the SD public land atlas; pretty confident that you’re not too far from public land…pretty sure no matter where you are in SD you’re not far from public land!😆
True lol never been to the area. Only been to SD once and it was in Redfield hunting was ehhhhhhh there few years back but I can't really say I know what I'm doing lol

https://sdgfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=946eccdaadf84df6aa2bcf08e9fb1aaf

Plenty of public land in the area. Not the highest amount of birds, but also not the highest amount of hunters either. Personally, if I was traveling from a distance I would go another 1-3 hours southwest, west, or northwest but if you have decent dogs, shooting, weather, and know what you are looking for to find "birdy area," you'll certainly have your chance at some birds.
Thank you, I guess Watertown would be my base and I'd travel to hunt from there within reason

You can’t hunt til ten am, so hit the road early and scout…half the fun!! A lot depends on crop status, weather, moisture levels, etc…spring/summer weather will be a big factor. Fun!!!

I have lived in Watertown for 10 years. Hunting within 30 miles of Watertown has not been the greatest. There is a fair amount of public land but bird numbers have been down for quite a few years. I totally agree with jackrabbit in that you need to get 1-2 hours SW, W or NW for better hunting.

Familiarize yourself with “current climate summary maps” out of U Neb, Lincoln…worth their weight in gold! Watch the June precip map carefully…shows the whole state, tells you what you need to know!

I'd personally head southeast of there into MN. The Marshall area is one of the best areas to hunt in that state with a good amount of public land you won't have to limit the number of days you hunt to 10. The great state of Minnesota lets you hunt the entire season with one license.

Last edited:
Is there much private land opportunity in Watertown? I read a lot about "knocking on doors" or "pay by the gun"
Really no private land unless you are willing to pay. You can try knocking on doors but I've never had any luck. Where does the family live that you plan to visit?

Really no private land unless you are willing to pay. You can try knocking on doors but I've never had any luck. Where does the family live that you plan to visit?
They live somewhere between De Smet and Watertown. It's on my girl friends side. They don't hunt or for that matter don't do much of anything lol

They live somewhere between De Smet and Watertown. It's on my girl friends side. They don't hunt or for that matter don't do much of anything lol
For sure bring your gun & dogs. You'll be fine in that area. Favor the west. Is it the most pheasanty area of the state? No. Are there plenty of pheasants to be found? Yes.

I hunted one day this season west of De Smet and was pleasantly surprised with the number of birds seen. Agree farther west you go it should keep getting better. BB had a good point that with 10 AM start it’s pretty easy to get 100miles or more from where you start from and there will likely be birds within that travel. Good luck!!

My parents moved to Codington County when I was three months old and aside from a seven year stint in "college", I've lived and hunted here my entire life. I've got the good fortune of having access to private land as well as an ever growing knowledge of the public land in the area. The first thing I will say is that while there are birds around, there are a lot of pieces of ground that are "all in one", meaning they have food, cattails, shelterbelts and, in some cases, nesting/brood rearing grass all in one spot. Those pheasants don't "need" public land, outside of the ones that don't have nesting. While that is a challenge, there is some "spill over" onto public land near those areas, especially in the early season, where a guy and his dog can put a couple birds in the vest.

If it were me and my wife gave me the green light to bring my dog and shotgun, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. I am blessed and have wonderful in-laws, but that doesn't mean that small doses aren't great for maintaining that feeling. As the other guys noted, you would have a little bit of time to scout in the morning (depending on schedule and time allotted for hunting) and can look around. Find a public spot surrounded by a lot of corn and, in some cases soybeans, and you'll have a good chance of catching birds coming back to roost in the last hour of the evening. I'll say it again, if you're limited on when you can hunt, make sure that it is in the hour or two leading up to sunset.

Back