anyone got advice for a new pheasant hunter?

birdybritt529

i have gone out hunting more than 10 times with my dog and have yet to shoot a wild rooster in my life! i normally hunt alone but have gone out with 4 guys once and can't kick up a rooster! if you wanna make a young hunters dream email me gps coordinates of a honey hole! i have been hunting mostly in the belle plaine jordan area and had no luck, i have seen 2 roosters in all that time out. i have a trained dog that i have brought to a game farm and pointed birds and brought them back to hand so i don't think its the dogs fault. looking for help! send me some pheasants!

oh, duh. I guess I should have known by your screen name.

There are not a heck of a lot of birds in MN this year, but you can find them. Head west from where you have been hunting and you will be more likely to find them.

My advise to a new pheasant hunter is to take up turkey hunting. Thats what the states care about right now - not pheasants

Go West!

My advice is to hunt elsewhere. The Belle Plain area does not produce. Head toward Wilmar or Southwest MN and try to find areas with less pressure. Get a map with public hunting areas and plan a day trip. Keep track of where you go and spots that you like. There are several public plots near Wilmar so you can hit several spots quickly. As winter approaches, cattails are your best bet near corn fields. Also, are you hunting at the end of the day? The end of the day can be quite productive, newer hunters often always go at 9am. In pheasant hunting, the early bird doesn't always get the worm.

Good luck

By the way, hunting for a hunting spot can be just as rewarding.

I have been where you are. I lucked out by starting when there more birds. There is nothing better than finding your own first wild bird. I also lucked out by having a great dad who helped me find good cover. I was a partridge (ruffed grouse) hunter looking for a new experience. I have been absolutely amazed.

I'd offer to meet up with you, but I have flushers (Labs) and they would make a mess of your hunt. PM me if you would like to know some spots I would recommend.

i have mostly been hunting morning so i will try an evening, i also picked up the state maps and wia maps. its my dogs bday on sat and since i have had no luck hunting public i am gonna hit a club for her sake. poor dog works so hard. fri and sun i will try and spend searching some new spots and try and hold off till the afternoon hunt.

Hunt into the wind when you can. Hunt quiet, no talking or yelling, no whistles, beepers or slamming doors. Have your gear ready when you stop, no milling around the truck. Hunt the heavy cover near a food source.

PM me and i might be able to help you out with a few spots if u want to drive alittle further than where u are at now !

i got my first wild bird today! took some advice hunted west and hunted later in the day. it was the best feeling to finally get my first wild pheasant! i am a pro now! thanks for all the advice people gave me.

welcome to the passion. I'm a MN boy, now living in Colorado.. got my first co limit yesterday, first time phez hunting co, walking public WIA land.

Hunt the SW corner of Minnesota.. I was from the Fargo Moorhead area, and kill tons of birds around there, but if you want good numbers head towards ortonville and surrounding.

Also consider hunting North Dakota public land. Teowaken (sp) is killer in the late season.

Dont forget about ruffies either!

Back