Anyone get out this weekend?

I got out and hunted on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday went to some private ground and saw a couple of coveys. Dogs were having a little trouble that day it seemed and I think we had too many of them on the ground. My dad ended up with one off of a pretty good point. I had several chances on wild flushes but dog didn't point the single so I didn't shoot it. Sunday went to a public area and found 3 coveys. I covey was right in front of the truck as we were finishing. The other we saw in the road on the way out. We ended up with only one again on the day in the bag but that's what you get when you hunt with rules. But the birds are there. Very happy with what I see so far this year as far as quail.

Got out saturday morning with my dad and a friend. Hunted private ground up in NEMO that I know holds a couple coveys. Only found 1 covey (~20) and 1 rooster. Pretty good dog work, solid point from my 1.5 yr old on the covey one down and one miss for the group on the rise, probably should have doubled had I remembered to chamber one prior to going in for the flush (whoops). Birds pulled a Houdini and only got one singled out after that on a good point from my dad's GSP. Had a miss on a quick point and fairly wild flush on the one rooster we saw. Good to hear you're finding some covies.

Having the same type of luck. Someone always gets a shot but that's about it. Hopefully, the weather will help. Couple weeks ago got up a covey. Circle around for 30 minutes before looking for singles. No luck. Dogs have had a hard time even tracking me. Too hot and dry.

Haven't shot a pheasant yet. Seen few.

Hoping to go on Sunday. Haven't been in a while since I've been deer hunting more this year. I still have quite a few public hot spots that I haven't visited yet this year, so just a matter on deciding which one to try out!

I got out on public land here in SW MO. Just when Im thinking the day is a bust, a covey of three flushed. Didnt get any shots off as they were pretty low flyers. Then flushed a single that I missed, Doh! Dog was mad. I was surprised we found them as that area gets hunted pretty hard.

I hunted Saturday (12/10), Sunday (12/11), and Tuesday (12/13) on public land.

On Saturday we hunted two large covies and shot 4 quail. We had pretty good dog work but getting quail up in thick stuff with tough shots.

On Sunday, we saw about 15 pheasants and 4 covies. We ended up with a 3 man limit of pheasants and 6 quail in about 2.5 hours. The pheasants held well and we shot every bird off of solid points. We never chased to single quail due to covey size. I will say, my 2 year old GSP pointed every covey but only one rooster. He seemed to struggle on tracking birds with the lack of moisture. My 10 1/2 year old mutt lab that I paid $35 for back in 2006 pointed 5 roosters and 4 hens. She did really well. She seems to get better every year.

On Tuesday, I returned to the same place that I hunted on Sunday. It was a completely different hunt. We saw over 50 pheasants but only 5 within 50 yards. The cold weather had the birds in large groups and they were ready to fly out of the ends. We ended up with 2 roosters for 2 guys. We got up a covey with less than ten birds so that was a bit scary with the low temps.

Last edited:
On Tuesday, I returned to the same place that I hunted on Sunday. It was a completely different hunt. We saw over 50 pheasants but only 5 within 50 yards. The cold weather had the birds in large groups and they were ready to fly out of the ends. We ended up with 2 roosters for 2 guys. We got up a covey with less than ten birds so that was a bit scary with the low temps.

Goodness gracious! I have GOT to get to northern MO to hunt wild pheasants. Can you at least tell me this, Western, Central or Eastern? :)

I will tell you it was all done with steel shot :)

Haha! Well a clue is a clue. Now I'm going to be spending the next few nights looking for all of the steel shot only areas in MO. LOL.

I was hoping that you were going to say you have gotten enough pheasants this year, that it was going to be getting too cold and was just going to tell me where they were so I could get the rest of them. :D:D:D:p Actually, I pretty convinced that with my dog - if there are birds to be found, he will find them for me. Especially after last weekend, I was getting pretty bored and he just kept wanting to work a certain area and boom, quail.

Last edited:
That will leave all the lead areas for me!:thumbsup: I will tell you I walked 14.6 miles the other day. My setter did 45.3 miles. One vizsla did 38 and the other 36 according to the garmin. Putting on miles to see the birds. If you walk the ground you will find them.

Yeah- hunted the Missouri in southwest mt. -5, snow, wind. Shot a big rooster that my lab busted out of thick cat tails. It was epic. Ya gotta love the lab. I'm having trouble posting photos on this thing.

You won't see too many labs quail hunting around Missouri. Get into pheasant country and you will see a few.

Yes- Montana.Lol. I'd like to turkey hunt in Missouri !!

Trade ya! You wanna turkey hunt in Missouri let me know. Suckers are everywhere on our farm. But I want a pheasant/grouse hunt in return! No guides please...I know how you Montana boys like to guide on public ground!:D

Back