Anyone else's dog point roosters vs hens differently?

I've noticed my vizsla locks up tight on roosters but he seems a bit playful when tracking and pointing hens with a little extra wiggle In his tail. I think it is because he was raised around laying hens that he would pin down and lick into submission to the point that they would just crouch and freeze when he came around the corner, occasionally I would see him carrying one around the yard without harming them. When I did get a rooster chicken though he was relentless with that bird. I was worried it would affect him negatively in the field but now it has worked out as more of a tell tale that he is on the trail of a rooster, an odd quirk that seems to have paid off.

We had this discussion on this site several years ago. Consensus was that a dog cannot tell the difference between a hen and rooster. They react and point scent. Whether it's a hen, a rooster, a grouse, a quail for some other species.

We had this discussion on this site several years ago. Consensus was that a dog cannot tell the difference between a hen and rooster. They react and point scent. Whether it's a hen, a rooster, a grouse, a quail for some other species.

That may be the consensus but I don't believe it.

Like the OP I had a Vizsla who would act just as he describes. On a cock he would lock up tight. On a hen he would have a little slow wiggle of his tail. He'd point them just fine but he never wiggled his tail on a cock.

My hunting partners didn't believe me for a couple years until they figured it out. It was like he was trying to warn me that something was different. I don't believe that cocks and hens smell the same anymore than men and women smell the same. Might be hard to tell the difference but my Vizsla told me he could do it.

Back