Anybody like knives?

cheesy

Buying custom knives is almost as bad as buying guns, once you've got the first one, the rest just seem to multiply.

My latest-

Gene Ingram "Kingfisher", S30V steel, mosaic pins, Tasmanian Blackwood scales, Kydex crossdraw sheath. 4.25" blade length, 8.625 OAL.

I'm thinking it will filet the breast meat off the bone quite well.

A3D17D2A-8B06-4226-A78F-271EFCA22BEB_zpsnx8o6czl.jpg

Yeah, I like knives. Nice looking knife. I have a generations-durable knife made by a Native American from a metal file with bone handle sides. Got it at a mountain pass roadhouse in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Kansas recently legalized switchblades and I have a tech type all metal one with a pocket clip. Switchblades are very handy.

Yes Sir, I am a recovering knife accumulator.

I spent years on the Khukri forum of Blades.com, and came to love that Nepali knife design.

Mostly, I've accumulated smaller user-sized knives...many just rescues of old designs that have been neglected.

Oh, and I had one knife I made from an old file I found in a corn field after discing, copied first by Himalayan Imports, then by Fiddleback Forge of Atlanta. They call it the KPH. I was flattered they wanted to use my design, but, of course, they did much finer work.

I took Webster Marbles' design of a "classic" hunting knife and modified it for CWD deer use. Hand sanding a file is a once in a lifetime task as far as I am concerned. :D

That's a pricey hobby you are getting involved in.

Best wishes.

I've been trying to fight the urge to pick up yet another vice and this post isn't helping. :D I love pretty wood and craftsmanship, nice blade cheesy.:thumbsup:

I'm just small potatoes compared to the real collectors, but I've got more than I need. No safe queens, all used. I blame my wife, she bought my first one, and it's been downhill from there. Prior to that I thought you just used a Buck or Case, and was glad for it. Ignorance was bliss.

If you're looking for a quality knife by good people, google image search some blades by Gene Ingram, David Winston, Al Alexander, Rick Menefee, Rocky Menefee, Mike Miller, Ken Coats, Dale Howe and a pile of others. I either have knives from them, or have read enough reports to know they're quality, user knives you'd want to pass on. All those guys post on various gun and hunting forums I frequent, all offering tips and hints and even shop time to guys wanting to learn.

Get into custom made folders and watch the dollars flow from your bank account......

This is for Quail Hound. I'm an enabler.

Some of what I had saved in photobucket-

One from last year

My only folder. Super nice guy in Wisconsin. My buddy knows him and we hung out in his backyard a few years ago, drinking iced tea.

This is a production knife, Great Eastern Cutlery. Most say they are the best production knife made today.

Two years ago

Mike a Miller parer for my mom. My photography doesn't do it justice

Very nice. I bought my brother a "Minnesota Fillet Knife" for his birthday a few years ago and I could feel the desire to own more and better knives growing the first time i,used it.

You're a terrible enabler, Cheesy. I bought a knife a few years ago because of you! :laugh: It is NOT practical to pay this kind of money for a knife, but I really do like it. And it makes you feel good to know it was made by hand in America by a skilled craftsman.

I won't be a serious collector. I'm too cheap for all that. :thumbsup:

I spent the morning cutting venison and doing some packaging for the freezer.

With all the various knives I have, once again I found myself reaching for and using most, a Mora 2000. About a $30 knife, great blade design, good handle, and takes/keeps a wonderful edge. It has been around for years, and I think is the blade design of the Military there.

A solid, inexpensive, reliable tool for the budget-minded sportsman.

I promise. :)

I bought a pile of Moras, can't remember the model, for about $9 each a few years ago. Keep them scattered between vehicles and work benches. Even found one in my wife's purse the other day.

For working up a deer, it's hard to beat a Victorinx 5inch flexible boner. Somewhere in that $30 range.

Does that GEC scalpel blade have a chip toward the end? If so, pity any poor bull calf or barrow you use it on! :eek: LOL

Last edited:
My Bolduc Knives

My wife got me a nice anniversary gift for our 20th.... I enjoy good knives, just can't afford them... S35VN Blades with Buffalo horn handles... Gary Bolduc in Corona, California works with what you want and are looking for in a knife and sheath... I bet I received 20 e-mails discussing and showing progress while he was building my knives and a couple weeks later they were at my door..
11986524_619428671533295_7764624000970509216_n_zpsg1by4y7i.jpg
11145050_619428868199942_2547935331553092651_n_zps7w3masfu.jpg

He even can put your dog on the blade if you so choose..
12575999_974146439318550_2040723348_n_zps4bzkwhj8.jpg

I like this handle and style.

12122763_637355353073960_2623417176352902965_n_zps57rhhpyt.jpg

My wife bought me a Montana Americana knife really like it. My office mate bought two and he really likes them too. Good steel and holds a great edge.

OK, here is the KPH, (Kismet's Practical Hunter) as interpreted by Andy Roy, down in Georgia. The one I got as designer has wrought iron bolster, but the current offerings don't have this feature, but come in a bunch of different handles. I love the knife, but it's too good for me to carry and possibly lose. I'm better trusted with old production knives. :)

I've known Andy, online, for 10 years or so. He took the jump to knife-making when he was riffed from his job. I don't keep track, but he's moved twice to larger facilities since then, and has taken on and graduated apprentices in his (Fiddleback Forge) growth. Really a decent guy.

I could not bring myself to afford the knives currently available, but from the feedback, a whole bunch of folks can do so. I'm happy for him.

Here's one without the bolster I copied from the web:

The knife I made from a file, the design of which I gave to Himalayan Imports. H.I. is a firm that was started by a Peace Corps worker who married a Nepali woman, and started imported khukuris for sale in the U.S. to help the economy of the kamis (Nepali knife-makers) in her home village. H.I. sent my original to Nepal and they made their version, maybe 300 or so over-all, but they were not as successful in their rendition as they might have been, so I asked if the knife could be made by Andy when he was starting up his business. They agreed.

I released the rights to the design to Andy in his start-up business

I can't find a picture of the original, which is MUCH rougher in Photobucket, but I'll see if I can find a link from my computer.
As you can see, my version is VERY home-made, but good, given my limited talents.

Last edited:
My mil got me a hand forged Swedish splitting axe for my birthday a few weeks ago. Sorta my introduction to fine cutlery. The knives are all beutiful.
20160113_201938.jpg

Do they hold a good edge?

If thet didn't I would not own one!! Steel is the most important part of any knife. My knife went through 3 elk in 45 minutes. 3 strokes each side of the knife on my stone and brand new. Never had any knife compare to that.:thumbsup:

I'm from a lower level league I guess. I've been trapping and hunting since I was 12. Early on I started buying Western brand knives. I always like them and had several sizes and styles for different jobs in the skinning shed. I probably have 8-12 of them now and as many stones to sharpen them with. I've had 2 guys make me knives. One is full custom, the other a bowie bland that my friend made a tang and handle for. I really like knives, but like most every thing else, I own blue collar stock!

Back