Anybody been out?

Zeepo

Went up NE of St Joe and was surprised. Saw 3 nice coveys and 6 roosters.
Never shot my gun as I thought I would leave them alone until populations get better.

zeepo

Went up NE of St Joe and was surprised. Saw 3 nice coveys and 6 roosters.
Never shot my gun as I thought I would leave them alone until populations get better.

zeepo

Sounds like they could stand a little pressure! I haven't been as much as I would like, but my impression is not as bad as the mourners at the MDC say, Or maybe I'm just used to low epectations by now.

If you happen to have hunted an MDC "quail emphasis", area, you can rest assured that the only thing you will come home with is cockle burrs.

Been out a couple times on private ground in Grundy Co. Moved a couple coveys each day. Wind has been horrible.

If you happen to have hunted an MDC "quail emphasis", area, you can rest assured that the only thing you will come home with is cockle burrs.

im starting to beleive that ive hunted corp land 3times around clinton one covey that was small once at pony express zelch, and once atsome public around platte city wow zelch notta goose egg really sucks

Went thanksgiving day found one small covey and one nice bunch
Went last sunday found another small covey and another nice one boy had fun he shot 13times. Don't ask him how many he got
Hunting corp ground

I'll be out this weekend....both days... Probably around Sedalia area. An old favorite spot and a possible new one.

Was hunting by Bethany on the 26th, 3 hunters & 4 experienced dogs, got into one 15 bird covey. Farmer had seen 2 other coveys all year & very few pheasants.

Yesterday saw 2 coveys, again 12-15 birds each in central part of the state. Just enough to keep giving me hope for the future.

All of the above on private ground. I share the negative views on "quail emphasis areas". The only way to see a quail there is to bring the birds with you!

Hunted around Ewing in the north east part on Friday. Hunted 4 hours and got into 1 small covey. Disappointing but my pup found them and held her points.

Went to a new spot outside of Knob Knoster. got the dogs on the ground and 5 minutes later the rain came in buckets. Nice ground will be back. Birds?????

I have been out several times this year and hunt mainly public. Last year i found very few birds on private ground. Spent a lot of time locating birds and didnt kill many. Wanted to mark lots of coveys for this years hunting. So far this year has been a little disapointing. Not finding the birds that i know were there last year. One of my hotspots on corps land was bushhogged clean. 3 covey there last year, big goose egg this year. Truthfully, found most birds on non emphasis areas. Usually small pieces that i wouldnt bother with usually. Hunted about 5 hours today on some prairie ground. one covey. Dog pointed a single in middle of knowhere later in another area. Wierd, never did find that covey. didnt fire a shot all day, was working a pushy pup. I did get my first prairie chicken up though.

i know coveys i have found on corp land around clinton i just cant find them im beginning to think maybe that big snow they had there might have got them it really bothers me what a shame. i did hunt on settles ford one time and the mdc workers who take care of the land said they had seen some and i was in the right area but once again zero

PC's are always a nice surprise to get up. It was not a good weekend. I'd really like to kow how they choose which areas will be Quail Emphasis areas. I'm assuming that they pick areas that have some residual population either on it or on private ground next to it.

I went up to Bilby Sunday morning and hunted for about 6 hours. We saw probably 15 hens and had some great dog work on them. We saw a total of three roosters which flushed wild about 40 yards in front of us. A few guys took some spray and pray shots, but the birds kept flying. We managed to get up two covies of quail, one was a very nice sized covey. I have encountered this covey on previous ocassions over the years. Everytime, they fly in to this forest with a clear forest floor but so thick up top you have to crawl to get any where in there. Needless to say they are about impossible to hunt at that point. We had a good day seeing plenty of birds just not much shooting.

I went to bilby Sunday and today. Saw about 40 pheasants on Sunday and we killed 4 roosters. Today we saw about 15 hens and I missed an easy shot on a rooster. Sunday we had 7 dogs and today we had 2.

i went out for a half a day today in a public spot south of harrisonville today and finally found a big covey my dog nailed them that was his first point on a covey and we worked some singles killed four over points wow finally as the saying goes just keep going eventually you will stumble into some birds but the trick is getting them to fly and land where you see them go and can actually work them

i went out for a half a day today in a public spot south of harrisonville today and finally found a big covey my dog nailed them that was his first point on a covey and we worked some singles killed four over points wow finally as the saying goes just keep going eventually you will stumble into some birds but the trick is getting them to fly and land where you see them go and can actually work them

I'm glad you got some action. You have sure paid the dues this year. I read a study that shows the average season quail harvest in Missouri is higher than Kansas! hard to believe, they must be counting a lot of pheasant hunters who aren't that interested in quail or are unsuccessful on the mini rockets.

I agree with old & new, no way do we have more quail than KS. Don't know who puts out that BS or what metrics they are using to measure each state.

Deer & turkey hunting experts gathering quail stats?

Back