Any Thoughts?

OKRev

For those of you that aren't tired of me putting up new threads on here (I've got a lot of down time at work). Just wanted to see some of your thoughts about this article I found today. Says they are hoping to open more private land for hunting for 2016-17. So is this a huge waste of money or are hunters going to benefit from it? I noticed the stock photo was of a guy with upland gear and a O/U on his shoulder, is that because the idea is to open land up more land for upland game or just because we look cooler than deer hunters? If this is a waste what would be a better use of these funds?

http://newsok.com/article/5441592

I'm not from Oklahoma but I think it's a great thing. Sounds like the program would be similar to the WIHA program in Kansas and other states. I can say that even with the bird numbers down in Kansas the amount of out of state hunters bringing money into the economy is high this year. Giving hunters a place to hunt is a great thing not only for the hunter but all the small businesses and hotels in the small towns.

Definitely a big deal for Oklahoma. Don't think Know of any hunters that would consider the Kansas program a waste.

I am from Oklahoma and hunt Kansas WIHA lots. If Oklahoma can manage the program as well as Kansas does it will be a plus.

I think it will also benefit those wishing to introduce youth or friends to hunting/fishing... should be more and hopefully good opportunities closer to home. I've read that they are going to target species like pheasant and antelope that you don't have many, if any, opportunities to hunt on public land as of now. Aside from what I hope are a few opportunities closer to home, I hope they target NC OK... Love mixed bags from that part of the state!

I think it will also benefit those wishing to introduce youth or friends to hunting/fishing... should be more and hopefully good opportunities closer to home. I've read that they are going to target species like pheasant and antelope that you don't have many, if any, opportunities to hunt on public land as of now. Aside from what I hope are a few opportunities closer to home, I hope they target NC OK... Love mixed bags from that part of the state!

Let's hope, but how are they going to select the areas that are opened up? Is there any way that the public can have input on where? How does this work in KS? I noticed there's not very many areas in S. Central, but plenty in the West and NW areas.

Lease from private landowners. Land is enrolled annually. Land will only be opened up if a landowner wants to participate in the program. I heard the guy from the ODWC on the radio just the other day say that they welcome any inquiries from landowners that may be willing to participate.

It will take some time to get this going. It wasn't huge in Kansas right off the bat. Will take some time. I remember hunting some of the properties in '97 in Kansas and it was fairly new then if memory serves.

My little boy is 9 and this program along with some of the best quail hunting in years here has me excited about the years to come.

Last edited:
I would guess that they will select a part of the state to concentrate on and expand through time as the program succeeds. If you let the public choose, you'll waste a lot of time and money managing the war that would kick off. Every acre entered into the program is 1 more than you had the day before. I'm sure it will be limited to willing landowners and that in itself will dictate a lot.

Back