any quail hunters ou there

jmac

i cant believe the amount of gambles quail chicks that are already running around, my part of arizona right now. its a little early, but thats ok going to be a banner year for quail this year down here. the little fuzz balls are all over.:D:D:D

Hey jmac; JMc here and I love hunting quail. The quail in Texas are slowly disappearing. I might have to swap you out a pheasant hunt for an Arizona quail run...

jmc

can do we have four different kinds of quail in arizona. but i must warn you we dont run dogs in the in the desert. even with booties it much to unkind to the dogs. you are welcome here any time you want to come. and ill take you up on the phz. :D:D:thumbsup:

AZ Quail

i cant believe the amount of gambles quail chicks that are already running around, my part of arizona right now. its a little early, but thats ok going to be a banner year for quail this year down here. the little fuzz balls are all over.:D:D:D

What general area of Arizona are you talking about? Not looking for anything specific that would let on where your honey holes are. I hunted quail on AZ BLM land east of Mesquite one year and the hunting was excellent.

areas in arizona

we hunt mainly south of the rim. it depends on what species you are looking for. Generally gambles are south of the rim all over the state and plentiful. The scaled are generally around the Tucson and Green Valley areas. To be honest, I cannot figure out where to find the other one, I believe it is called Montezuma. They are rare. California quail are on the west side of the state. As far as hunting lands there is plenty of state trust and BLM and public land. One of my best areas is 1/2 mile outside of Apache Junction near the Superstition Mountains. Hope this answers your question.:D:cheers: the montezuma quail as it is known locally is aslo called the mearn's quail and azgfd, says they they can be found around the mountains near/ around tucson. azgfd states another quail the masked bobwhite is found in small area that i am not familiar with, however it is listed as an endanger species and is protected.

Last edited:
jmac,

Thanks for bringing a more positive topic to our lounge. I am more of a quail hunter than a pheasant hunter at heart. Good quail hunting is hard to beat. Glad to hear they're doing well where you're at. Last season was the best I've seen in a while, though I didn't harvest many personally, I saw quite a few. My gun doesn't work as well as it used to when it comes to shooting quail;) With a another year of practice, maybe it will start shooting straighter for me.

I would love to hunt Quail, doves too. We have none this far north. I should say we have a few doves but they are gone by the time season opens. Non residents can't hunt doves in South Dakota where our other place is.

We have Cal/Valley Quail here, But like JMC, they are slowly dwindling. I'd like to see more around. The farmer say the predators aren't really getting them, they just disappear. I like hunting them for they are the first to open. They give the dogs a chance to get tuned up before the pheasant season opens..........Bob

quail

ya i am getting tierd of the wolf post also, but you must admit it is interesting. and everybody was purdy calm. the quail are going to be thick this year. barring any weather disasters this spring/ summer what ever. yesterday, it was 90 plus tempiture wise, today 72. i know same story for all birds, meaming phz. hope we get lucky :thumbsup:

I mostly hunt quail but my area of Indiana the population has really declined. We do find some Ruffed Grouse but they to have disappeared since the state quit clear cutting (thanks to the tree huggers). A couple of buddies and I go to Iowa for a week of pheasant hunting each November. It's nice for the dogs to get on alot of birds.

quail hunting

sorry to hear about the decline in quail in your areas:mad: are you talking about bobwhites? or what? if you guy are interested in hunting quail, in arizona. i will post the regulations when game and fish puts them out. i would also help to point u in finding areas to hunt. doves are plentiful, opening is around sept. 1 season is open for two weeks. quail opens mid oct. and closes early feb. morning dove has a late season that coincides with quail season in November sometime, I think. Anyway, I will post this when the Game and Fish puts out the regs if anyone is interested. :cheers:

We do hunt Bobwhites here in Indiana and the biggest problem we have just like everyone else is loss of habitat. I'm 43 and as a kid you would hear quail whistle all the time but now most of the farms and fence rows have been cleared off or sold and subdivided.

sad

sorry, to hear that. i have the same problem with one of my favorite pheasant hunting area. when i was a kid, it was a farm now its a suburb of buffalo wyoming. sad:confused::eek::confused:

It's a shame that the upland birds can't adapt and populate like the deer and turkeys have. It would also be nice if alot more people would become more proactive to provide habitat for game birds to repopulate. We have alot of state forest acres around us and in the 70's and 80's we had a very good population of ruffed grouse, then the tree huggers started protesting and filing lawsuits against the state when they proposed to clearcut on these properties. So now when the state does timber they select cut which does nothing for the grouse. Used to you could get 15 to 20 flushes a day now your lucky to see more than one or two a year. Last time I checked after trees have been harvested the forest replaces them with new ones hence renewable resource. I wish these people could understand what these habitats are needed for all wildlife.

Thirty years ago I could accidentally flush a half dozen coveys in an afternoon just about anywhere, and there would be birds along the back roads. Then this part of the state abandoned farming and burning of underbrush in wood lots. It's grown up so thick that it is lousy quail habitat. Experienced hunters with good dogs now think two coveys is a good day.

Lots of deer and turkeys, but I sure do miss those great quail days.

I wish these people could understand what these habitats are needed for all wildlife.
x2! The majority of the human population either wants nicely cut grass or mature forest, but they'll have nothing to do with the succession in between!

I hunt bob whites ... oh, and a few non-natives. Yes, I have to buy and plant what I want to shoot because there aren't any left where I am at either. :(

I did have a few get away last year and saw a small covey up until March, but I suspect that they're gone since I haven't heard them at near dawn/dusk in such a long time.

quail

working a hospital job today, on the out side of the valley. could have taken i limit of gambels with a pellet gun. must have been 90 or more seating on the fence around the job sight trying to attrack hens.:D balls are all in a up roar.:D:D:D

Grew up in TX and used to see quail everywhere when I was a kid. Moved around while in the military and ended up living on the west mesa of Albuquerque for several years. Used to walk the dogs all over and rarely saw quail. Now, I live back in TX and don't see near the numbers that I used to. I go back to New Mexico to visit and see more quail than I ever saw while living there.

Back