Any fly fishermen here?

JPH

My son and I went out yesterday and had an awesome day on the river.

My son with a 23.5" CuttBow.
P1010138.jpg

My big fish of the day, 26" Brown
P1010144.jpg

Many like this were caught and released
P1010140.jpg

Great day out with the boy.

Any others fly fish? How is your season going?

jph

wow :coolpics: looks like you had a great day. nice cuttbow, great brown. what state where you fishing in, if i might ask? i fly fish alot, in the summer time in wyoming. platte river, snake and others. great sport, love to catch trout. thxs for the great pics.:cheers:

jmac, fishing Wyoming. If you fish from the Platte to the Snake you are covering some ground! I have not fished the WY section of the Snake much. Love the Platte, just wish the Reef wasn't so popular. Luckily there is another 100 miles of river to fish! IMO Wyoming still has some of the best big fish (trout) opportunities left.
:cheers:

wyoming fishing

jph,
yup, i covered all of wyoming at least once. lol not to much of that state (WYOMING) that i havnt haunted at some time or another in my 49 years on the planet. your right about the platte river. gray reef is great float fishing and and is becoming over fished imo. its funny, when i was a kid growing up in casper wy. fishing on the north platte was good not great. now i live in arizona, and that strech of the north platte is a blue ribbons trout stream. fished it last october, snowing in the morning, heated up about noon and bug hatch began. fishing good great quickly for about three hours. caught some really big rainbows and very nice browns.
the snake river, around alpine, wy has big cutts and brooks. I could go on for ever... thanks again for sharen the pics.
scott

Last edited:
I am considering fly fishing as my next hobby...I bought gear and have been working on my casting at the lake. I can catch perch and crappie all day long. I look forward to the day I can land trout like those pictured...very nice.

wow. wish we had fish like that. have caught some small trout in yellowstone. bought boys flyrods for christmas. starting to practice casting. going to manitoba end of june and try to catch some rainbows and browns.

great place

blackcloud27;
canada is better than wyoming, for fishing , best of luck. you will not need it in canada, ill bet.:thumbsup:

JPH, first off ,nice fish!!!! Second , I am not that good at fly fishing!!! I compare myself with my brother and 2 of his buddies who are amazing!!! So, I know I suck!!! I catch fish, but I am limited to lakes and medium to small rivers. Big water tears me up for some reason. Have a 6 weight Los Pinos' Sage and a 3 weight Elk horn rod, married with G-2 Ross reels. The one Buddy of my brother is owner operator of Dragonfly Anglers in Crested Butte, Colo. And the other is a life long friend who is a aquatic biologist , who is a nut and the best I have seen. We worked the U.S. Flyfishing Championship together here a few years ago and he was telling(Not supposed to ) when to set the hook. We go fishing, he catches 30 I catch 10. If you haven't seen the DVD " The Hatch" you have got to see it. It is about the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and it is awesome. That use to be a annual trip for those guys, but father time has slowed one or two of them down. Like us all!!!! Maybe not those young bucks!! The hike down the Black Canyon isn't for us all!!!!! Awesome pic's!!!!:coolpics:

http://www.feltsoulmedia.com/main.html

Check out the "Hatch" click on the Salmon Fly!!!!!

Last edited:
O.K. that link was crap!! I will find another!!! Well , not going to find it. Only portions of the DVD. It is 20 bucks, but well worth it!!!! It is awesome!!!! I was just mad the link didn't show it all!!!! Sorry!

Last edited:
Bleu, I have always wanted to hit the Black Canyon for the BIG bug hatch. Problem is I am always in Montana for the summer working and miss it! The trade off is I get some good fishing in MT. It is definitely on my Bucket List.:cheers:
Speaking of big rivers, I find that if you break the big water down into small pieces it isn't so overwhelming. Even in big water there are small pockets of the best water that hold the fish. Its a matter of reading the BEST water. The beauty of fly fishing is you learn something new every time out. It is a never ending learning curve.

Nice Reef shots! I love that stretch of water but have since grown to enjoy floating Northgate Canyon down to Bennett Peak. Certainly not the same volume of big fish but the scenery is worth it being away from any roads and R&R.

I'm glad you posted this pics, got me itching to wet a line. I grew up in Montana on the Gallatin and Madison and visit often but being in Colorado is just fine. We've got great water and I have been fortunate to enjoy the "hatch" several times in Gunnison Gorge. Having experienced relatively prolific stone fly hatches in WY and MT I was sure that I wouldn't be surprised but on day 2 of my first trip (about 7 years ago, second week in June) I witnessed an Alfred Hitchcockian hatch! It was alomst disturbing. Trees covered, constant buzzing, and endless trout cheeseburgers floating by. I kept several big browns (bad whirling disease on that river so keeping browns is encouraged) and with the touch of a sharp knife their belly would explode with a pink and black mess. Absolutely stuffed! It was an impressive site to say the least.

flyfishing

Bleu, I have always wanted to hit the Black Canyon for the BIG bug hatch. Problem is I am always in Montana for the summer working and miss it! The trade off is I get some good fishing in MT. It is definitely on my Bucket List.:cheers:
Speaking of big rivers, I find that if you break the big water down into small pieces it isn't so overwhelming. Even in big water there are small pockets of the best water that hold the fish. Its a matter of reading the BEST water. The beauty of fly fishing is you learn something new every time out. It is a never ending learning curve.

jph,
great point about big water, and yes you learn something every time.:cheers:

winchester21, those fish were not taken at the Reef. I gave up on that place about 12 years ago. Great fishing but a little too busy for my taste.

Sounds like an epic hatch you witnessed at the Gunny. I would love to see it sometime.

I also agree with you about fishing other places besides MT. MT has a lot of good fishing and more floatable rivers, which attracts more fishermen. For my personal fishing there are many places besides MT that I prefer. Places off the radar with less people and bigger fish.

Last edited:
Fellas Know How to Fly Fish

You guys know how to fly fish! Wow, would I like to catch a trout in that size range. I was on the Arkansas above and below Buena Vista last weekend and it was pretty slow due to some winterish weather.

Back