Another unique mount

2LeggedBirddog

Picked up this mount just before this year's season- from a hunt 2 years ago in SD. Three of us shot at it but only one paid for it so it won't end up on my wall... yet. In 20-30 years it will be mine.

There's another one spotted in the same area we took this one. Something in the genetics of the flock produces more of them. They're in the east river side of SD, or thereabouts. Hope that helps.

We shot one 2 years ago that was similar in the head...but the tail feathers not nearly as white! This was an east river bird taken near Plankinton. My nephew and I double teamed him:rolleyes:....I think I have a pic somewhere!

We shot a bird that looked like that this year, but only on the wings. I thought it was just a young bird. I didn't think there was a white mutation. I guess we should have mounted it. Oh well, it will still taste good.

Nice bird! Thanks for sharing. Sure do enjoy.:coolpics:

Rod​

I like this variation better than the pure whites. It has enough original color to let you know it was a rooster but still lots of white to make it unique.

That's a hard call whether or not to mount one that just has some white on its wings. But these are once in a lifetime birds, even for avid hunters who specifically go after them. It's a big deal to the locals. About the only information we can't get out of lifelong friends is where they have been seeing a possible piebald.

I would mount the longest tailed rooster I ever shot and then beyond that, a piebald is about the only other pheasant mount I would spend my money on, given everything else there is to hang on the wall.

You see, I hear rumors that there are these other feathered birds that are available to be hunted called ducks, I think. They sound like they might be purty if mounted as well.

Back