Another Newbie Looking for Info

wispringer

Hey everyone - My 14 year old son, springer spaniel and I are planning on heading to SD next Monday night. It's kind of a last minute trip and we're hoping the weather holds up. We had planned on a ND duck and goose hunt in October but the kid broke his arm in his last JV football game the night before we were suppose to leave. He lost out on his hunting season so we have some making up to do.

I've hunted the Wessington Springs area, but that was 15 years ago so I don't have much current information. We're planning on hunting public land and a few road ditches. Private is not out of the question, I just can't afford the $100 a gun a day deal. Everything is going to be midweek. Tuesday-Friday, Dec 7-10.

We're looking for a place to stay. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just clean with comfortable beds, a place to keep the pooch warm, a freezer for the birds, a cafe for breakfast and a place to grab some grub after the hunt. My goal would be to stay somewhere between Chamberlain, Wessington Springs to Mitchell. Would like to stay away from the bigger towns and hunt well north if I-90 if possible.

Any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated! Our trips 15 years ago were lots of fun.

Last edited:
We are headed to SD next Saturday, Dec 12th to hunt for 5 days. Here is a link to a website that list motels.

http://www.motelguide.com/sd.html

We also hunt the walk-in areas, wpa's and gpa's. Looking at the forecast it looks like it will be cold, below freezing and stay there for a while. We hunted there last year and hunted in -50f with wind chills. The day we headed back home the temp had finally risen to 0f. We had a great time still.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful. Was able to lock up a place to stay at a resonable price. We are both excited to go. Hunted northern Iowa earlier this fall, *very* tough going. Still better than worken'. Shoot straight and have a great rest of the season.

The extended weather forecast for the area you plan to hunt shows highs in the low 20's and lows in the single digits to zero. Maybe a little snow on the 9th. Sure could be a lot worse. Good luck and I hope your son gets a lot of shooting. :thumbsup:

Excellent weather. A little snow and cold weather would be perfect. Freeze some places up. Hopefullly we'll have some pictures to post when we get back. One concern. Apparently there is a good steakhouse in the area. I told the kid we would have to try it. With a 14 year olds appetite and a taste for good beef I might go broke!

I am new to the site, but I am interested on how it goes for you. I am trying to do the same thing except with my dad and 16yo nephew. We are not sure where we want to go ie. Kansas, Nebraska, SD or Iowa. Any info on your hunt would be helpful. thanks

Back