Another Late Season SD Hunt!!

Husker

Headed out again Friday and Saturday to see if we could put a few more ringnecks in the freezer before the season closes on us, and what a couple days it turned into!! Both day were very fogy and temps in the lower 20's but the moisture in the air made it feel cold! Friday we ended up with our limit by about 3 and were able to bag a few grouse as well! Saturday was a hunt that I'll never forget! We got invited to join about 15 other guys and hunt a 1/2 section that hadn't been hunted all year, this ground was a mix of tree's, CRP, a slew and some Milo that had been surrounded by corn up until last week. Well, we got a late start and didn't get into the field until about 11:30 and by 1:30 we were in the farmyard having lunch and splitting up birds! That's right, 60 birds in just less then 2 hours! It was unreal, I don't think I've ever seen so many wild roosters in a half section in my life! And we didn't even put a dent in em! I've been saying it over and over, if you haven't gotten out this month yet, it's time! :cheers:

12-18
IMG00033-20091218-1802.jpg

12-18
HPIM4249.jpg

12-19
SDC10189.jpg

12-19
HPIM4263.jpg

Sweet, H, nice hunt, one of those a guy can't stop chuckling over. We got nice groups of close to a hundred up this weekend too but nothing like that. This month is the bomb. I hope we don't get much of that snow coming, I would like to go once or twice yet.
:10sign::cheers:

Yeah, I concur...been out twice this month and have seen some pretty cool sights. Hunting has been really good. Quite a thing....

Last edited:
That's a lot of birds. I'm supposed to head out to SD from Pa later this week but I'm not sure if the weather is going to cooperate. Looks like snow and ice is supposed to cover our travel route. I was planning on going to the De Smet area. Anybody know how the weather might be in that area this weekend and the start of next week?

Holy crap, are you kidding me?!?!?!!!! I don't think my dog would know what to do. He'd be so excited he may just start humping my leg. :eek:

That is awesome! Great work!

Last edited:
Back