Another first timer to SD Post

I mostly hunt waterfowl and years ago bought Boss number #5 and was really impressed. I bought another case and wow they sucked. So many cripples and I found tons of slivers of bismuth shot in them. So I tried some Boss #4s. They worked better on ducks. Honestly for some of my jump shooting of ducks steel #3s are fine. If I was going to shoot steel at waterfowl or pheasants I would use #3 and nothing smaller. I remember back in the lead days tons of guys shot #6s. I hated them and loved #5s in lead.

2 3/4 inch Boss are 1.75 per shell. Steel is probably half that price. To me that isnt a big factor. What I hate about steel shot any more is a speed kick they are on. 1500 fps but only 1 1/8 oz payload, I like the 1 1/4 ounce at around 1300 fps. Looking around Scheels the other day and all were speed shells.

Put a rooster & a mallard, each with broken wings, in some knee high grass. We know which is more likely to be recovered. A rooster must be shot harder than a mallard, & with steel, that means large shot. 3s are fine out to 35-40 yds (straight aways only about 30 tops). Past 40 yds, you ought to be shooting 2s. Most of the time, I can't shoot lead 5s, so bismuth 4s get the nod. Maybe I spend an additional $100-$150 on shells over the course of a season because of it. A minor inconvenience (considering what I spend on hunting) that allows me to hunt public land a lot, kill what I hit, & lose very, very few pheasants.

Last edited:
Totally appropriate as long as they pattern OK. Should allow you to open up choke to IC or SK.
I was finally able to pattern my steel today. The Kent 3in #4 and 3.5in #2 both patterned well with my IC choke.

I also found a few 3.5 in Kent tungsten matrix in 3 shot. I will use these first.

I was finally able to pattern my steel today. The Kent 3in #4 and 3.5in #2 both patterned well with my IC choke.

I also found a few 3.5 in Kent tungsten matrix in 3 shot. I will use these first.
Sheesh, those are Howitzers. If you're a goose hunter, hang on to those Tungsten Matrix. Or sell them to a goose hunter. They are better (& obviously way more spendy) than lead. TM 3s will hammer a honker out to 60 yds. You really don't need an 80-yd pheasant load. They're tough but not THAT tough.

Won’t be much bird left with those 3.5s

I had a feeling about the TM. I only found 5. I used to be a duck/goose hunter but have not done any waterfowl hunting in 10 years. I had to sell my boat, so lost interest. I also found some Winchester 3in #4. I will probably stick to the 3in and save the 3.5 for ducks, if i ever find good private water to hunt.

I had a feeling about the TM. I only found 5. I used to be a duck/goose hunter but have not done any waterfowl hunting in 10 years. I had to sell my boat, so lost interest. I also found some Winchester 3in #4. I will probably stick to the 3in and save the 3.5 for ducks, if i ever find good private water to hunt.
Hell I use 2.75"s and never have an issue. If you check ballistics, alot of times 2.75s will perform better than a 3 inch shell. Usually 2.75s give you more FPS too comparing equivalent shells.

Hell I use 2.75"s and never have an issue. If you check ballistics, alot of times 2.75s will perform better than a 3 inch shell. Usually 2.75s give you more FPS too comparing equivalent shells.
No kidding… shot tons of birds when I was a kid with a 20 gauge pump and whatever shells dad bought off the shelf. We hunted where there were a fair amount of quail so we often use 7.5 loads. No way I’m blowing my shoulder up with bazooka shells all weekend.

No kidding… shot tons of birds when I was a kid with a 20 gauge pump and whatever shells dad bought off the shelf. We hunted where there were a fair amount of quail so we often use 7.5 loads. No way I’m blowing my shoulder up with bazooka shells all weekend.
As I've gotten older, I've been graduating down in gun size haha started with a 20 but then used a 12 a long time, then a 16 gauge, now this year I'll be back a 20 gauge as my primary shotgun.

Been shooting early season pheasants for almost 45 years with 2 3/4" 4's, 5's, and 6's from imp cyl and mod chokes. Know your gun and pattern!!!!

As I've gotten older, I've been graduating down in gun size haha started with a 20 but then used a 12 a long time, then a 16 gauge, now this year I'll be back a 20 gauge as my primary shotgun.
Get an English double and shoot 1 1/8 ounce out of it. Lighter and better balanced than most 20s😁

Last edited:
I switched to a 16 about 12-15 years ago and also have a 20 auto. Shoot Fiocci 5s year round and seam to do okay. I shoot steel 4’s when I have to. I don’t shoot at anything over 35-40 yards and I have a dog that loves to retrieve. I don’t need to kill drop a bird a 60+ yards… it’s not that important to me

Put a rooster & a mallard, each with broken wings, in some knee high grass. We know which is more likely to be recovered. A rooster must be shot harder than a mallard, & with steel, that means large shot. 3s are fine out to 35-40 yds (straight aways only about 30 tops). Past 40 yds, you ought to be shooting 2s. Most of the time, I can't shoot lead 5s, so bismuth 4s get the nod. Maybe I spend an additional $100-$150 on shells over the course of a season because of it. A minor inconvenience (considering what I spend on hunting) that allows me to hunt public land a lot, kill what I hit, & lose very, very few pheasants.
If you can ever make it up to the hi-line near the north canadian(I think it's called), track down a guy named goosemaster. If he likes you he might show you some of the secrets he's learned about gunning John ringneck with lighter loads in a 28 gauge, and take you out with his new lab puppy, Mr. Jones.

I mostly hunt waterfowl and years ago bought Boss number #5 and was really impressed. I bought another case and wow they sucked. So many cripples and I found tons of slivers of bismuth shot in them. So I tried some Boss #4s. They worked better on ducks. Honestly for some of my jump shooting of ducks steel #3s are fine. If I was going to shoot steel at waterfowl or pheasants I would use #3 and nothing smaller. I remember back in the lead days tons of guys shot #6s. I hated them and loved #5s in lead.

2 3/4 inch Boss are 1.75 per shell. Steel is probably half that price. To me that isnt a big factor. What I hate about steel shot any more is a speed kick they are on. 1500 fps but only 1 1/8 oz payload, I like the 1 1/4 ounce at around 1300 fps. Looking around Scheels the other day and all were speed shells.
Lead we used bbs.Steel bbb.

Back