Another first timer to SD Post

robjak

Hello,

I will be hunting SD for the first time for the regular opener. I will be hunting with locals on a mix of private and WPA in Douglas and Charles Mix counties. I have read many of the first timer SD suggestion threads and watched the @Golden Hour vids on how to hunt SD. I would like to thank all that have given their advice.

My questions are more related to ammo. I have a few boxes of Kent Fasteel in #4 (3 in), and #2 (3.5 in), since i have these already, do you recommend buying better non-toxic shot for this trip? I have more then enough lead loads for the private land.

If i was to hunt grouse on public land to the west/south, would lighter steel shells in 6 and 7.5 suffice? (i have some of both, they were awesome on bufflehead, close range)

Should i go walleye fishing?

Last edited:
You will probably get different views on ammo as everyone has an opinion. I strictly shoot a 16 ga Citori on pheasant and or grouse. I shoot 2 3/4 # 5 lead and 4’s in steel. I really haven’t had an issue with either.

IMO you should give yourself every advantage you can when hunting pheasants.. that being said I'd shoot Bismuth 4's or 5's when lead isn't an option. It's about $2 per trigger pull so I can see why a lot of people stick with steel. I've also heard of people having issues with Bismuth shot breaking apart inside their birds, but I haven't had that issue personally.

Those Kent faststeel would be perfect for both species. The 3.5s may be overkill but Id certainly use them later in the year before buying more ammo. Youll be in prime pheasant country and have a great hunt Im sure. Dont overthink it and welcome to our state!

Other sizes will kill, just not as consistently as #2. It's the most effective steel shot size for pheasants. 1-1/4 oz 3" loads are just about a minimum payload for steel 2s, so nothing wrong with 3-1/2". Totally appropriate aslong as they pattern OK. Should allow you to open up choke to IC or SK. (all gun/choke/load combinations NOT being equal) That said, 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz loads of bismuth 4s are even better. I like to say they're overkill, since people I know use them a lot, while I get by pretty well with 1 oz bismuth loads.

The 3" steel 4's will work ok for pheasant. I like bismuth for non-tox. I used a 16ga handload last year of 1 & 1/8 oz bismuth 5's at around 1250 fps, and it worked great. I've also used the Kent bismuth 1oz 5's. I've shot a lot of bismuth the past few years, and for me it's almost as good as lead, if you move up one shot size. Not quite, but pretty darn close.

As for the shooting steel 7.5's, I wouldn't even use those for dove or quail. They won't even hit as hard as lead 9's. I've had pretty good luck on close-range ducks with the 12 ga Federal upland steel 6's though....1 & 1/8 oz at 1400 fps. My guess is that would be a pretty good load for sharptails.

12 ga Federal upland steel 6's
I have the upland steel in 1 1/8 oz. I will try them on the grouse. I will leave the 7.5 at home.

I will pattern the kents at my range in August. If they do not pattern well, I will get some bismuth. SBE2 in IC expected.

I have the upland steel in 1 1/8 oz. I will try them on the grouse. I will leave the 7.5 at home.

I will pattern the kents at my range in August. If they do not pattern well, I will get some bismuth. SBE2 in IC expected.
Too expensive

Good plan. I'm sure you'll have a great time, SD is a great place.

IMO you should give yourself every advantage you can when hunting pheasants.. that being said I'd shoot Bismuth 4's or 5's when lead isn't an option. It's about $2 per trigger pull so I can see why a lot of people stick with steel. I've also heard of people having issues with Bismuth shot breaking apart inside their birds, but I haven't had that issue personally.
Rip off

Back