Annnnnnd the hits just keep on coming! Bird Flu!

From what I’ve read waterfowl have the highest risk from the flu since they congregate in large groups more so than upland birds do. Makes sense to me.

Yep, I think the opportunity to social distance & fresh air should keep the real/wild pheasants safe.

OK, so this is way outside my realm of expertise. Because they're immediately exposed to a variety of "stuff", does a wild pheasant chick develop a stronger immune system than a pen-raised chick? Or are pen-reared birds filled with enough drugs that THEY have stronger immune systems?
I would think the wild birds are exposed to LESS than a pen raised bird when it comes to disease, etc. Interesting thought by Golden Hour about life style and disease. Exposure in my opinion does create immunity. My wife and I remember getting sick in our early years of teaching and after 35+ years of teaching, we haven't been sick for 18 years, that we can remember. My daughter has gone through the same thing. I do believe in exposure (get dirty, get out, ) to build some immunity (covid made that theory more frightening) so I'm glad she is getting our grandchild messy so to speak. Whatever the outcome, I like to think Nature takes care of itself. Over population of any species often has consequences. I know we humans don't allow that as much any more as we have hamstringed Natures ability to do its job. I have little hope that our government will heed to take care of our water, our land, and our air to better the situation. $ $ $ talks. We will over come the bird flu and continue to hunt the bird that has beguiled us. Going out now and working with my dog. :)

I would think the wild birds are exposed to LESS than a pen raised bird when it comes to disease, etc. Interesting thought by Golden Hour about life style and disease. Exposure in my opinion does create immunity. My wife and I remember getting sick in our early years of teaching and after 35+ years of teaching, we haven't been sick for 18 years, that we can remember. My daughter has gone through the same thing. I do believe in exposure (get dirty, get out, ) to build some immunity (covid made that theory more frightening) so I'm glad she is getting our grandchild messy so to speak. Whatever the outcome, I like to think Nature takes care of itself. Over population of any species often has consequences. I know we humans don't allow that as much any more as we have hamstringed Natures ability to do its job. I have little hope that our government will heed to take care of our water, our land, and our air to better the situation. $ $ $ talks. We will over come the bird flu and continue to hunt the bird that has beguiled us. Going out now and working with my dog. :)

I think we all know that a wild rooster is fast and cunning enough to simply run away from the flu. ;)

Back