Annnnnnd the hits just keep on coming! Bird Flu!

Chestle

Can't be a good thing.

"...Every spring since then, I’ve held my breath waiting for the next HPAI outbreak. While a handful of HPAI cases popped up sporadically in various locations, nothing came close to the widespread number of infections we saw in 2015.

In 2022, that respite is over. At the time I’m writing this, the USDA has identified 19 different flocks infected with the H5N1 strain of influenza – the most recent one found right here in South Dakota. These flocks have been found in widely dispersed areas including Maine, Virginia, Indiana, and Iowa – and now in our state..."

The farmers won't like this but no one ever brings up the spreading of chicken litter on all these crop fields these days. It's cheap fertilizer but just think of the disease and bacteria that comes with it. Then the upland birds as well as turkeys feed in these fields. 🤔

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out. It reminded me that I recently had an email exchange with a gentleman from the SDGFP regarding this avian flu and it sounds like the biggest concern for wild populations is coming from waterfowl. I even saw some pics online of dead ducks that were suspected to have died from the disease. I also saw a producer that had to euthanize some 85,000 birds due to the disease. It is certainly a concern.

Anyway, here is the pertinent portion of my correspondence with the SDGFP:
"Domestic poultry populations including captive game birds are only a risk to the wild populations if they become infected with HPAI. If a flock becomes infected they are quickly quarantined and depopulated to mitigate the spread of the disease. The biggest risk factor for domestic and wild birds are migratory waterfowl. The virus circulates in wild waterfowl populations with most infected wild waterfowl not showing clinical signs of disease while shedding the virus in their feces."

Talked to a gamebird farm and he was hit with birdflu. We may see a big shortage in training birds,chuckar and quail,specifically.

If we isolate all birds for two weeks, maybe we can flatten the curve.
In North Dakota it has hit us too. One of my employees has a hobby farm with a variety of birds and all of them died. I have seen some dead waterfowl.

Yes Will Stone. He said he will have the pheasants he needs for his lodge but few if any extra to sell.
That's unfortunate. I'd also heard a guy that buys some flare nares for his veteran hunts say that prices were expected to jump anyway.

While I wish this would be an opportunity to evaluate the role of pen raised pheasants, I'm afraid it will mean cutting corners and fly by night operations that will further threaten the wild pheasants of South Dakota.

So if a SD preserve is befallen by the pandemic & can't release the prescribed number of pseudo-roosters, can they still operate as a preserve? Or will they get some sort of exception on account of natural disaster or other sort of bailout? I guess we may see.
From your statement I am not sure what you meant?
The preserve I am talking about lost all their chicks eggs and adult birds. They had to eliminate all , sanitize , wait a specified time and then test and get cleared by the state.

They believe they will get enough birds to honor the states obligation and satisfy their return customers demands.

From your statement I am not sure what you meant?
The preserve I am talking about lost all their chicks eggs and adult birds. They had to eliminate all , sanitize , wait a specified time and then test and get cleared by the state.

They believe they will get enough birds to honor the states obligation and satisfy their return customers demands.
I hope they're right, for sake of their business.
I'm just wondering if it becomes a widespread problem & preserves can't buy enough pen reared birds to satisfy the release laws, would the state shut them down? Or would they be granted some form of exception or bailout, allowing them to continue operating as preserves? Purely theoretical.

We need to mandate pen raised birds have to wear masks.
Yep, I think the opportunity to social distance & fresh air should keep the real/wild pheasants safe.

OK, so this is way outside my realm of expertise. Because they're immediately exposed to a variety of "stuff", does a wild pheasant chick develop a stronger immune system than a pen-raised chick? Or are pen-reared birds filled with enough drugs that THEY have stronger immune systems?

OK, so this is way outside my realm of expertise. Because they're immediately exposed to a variety of "stuff", does a wild pheasant chick develop a stronger immune system than a pen-raised chick? Or are pen-reared birds filled with enough drugs that THEY have stronger immune systems?
Yes ;)

Yep, I think the opportunity to social distance & fresh air should keep the real/wild pheasants safe.

Seriously? Does the farm boy who spends his entire childhood outside, working, being exposed to the elements have a stronger immune system (and stronger in general) than the city boy who hangs out inside, all day every day, waiting for his mom to put pop tarts, doritos and mountain dew next to his video game controller?

Its devastating for domesticated poultry. Not so much wild birds. There have been a few documented, confirmed cases in raptors like hawks and owls. I have not heard of any scientifically-confirmed cases in wild pheasants, turkeys, or quail. The chances of it spreading like it does with domesticated poultry is minimal, as wild birds generally do not congregate by the thousands inside of a barn. The weather conditions are not helping either. Viruses do better in cooler, wetter conditions. What we need is some warmer, sunny weather. But since we're in a drought too, its hard to ask for that. A double-edged sword.

Back