An Unfortunate Miss

walk213

Missing sucks. Missing your only opportunity at a rooster on the final steps in a 13 mile walk is deflating. The negative feeling is amplified when your bird dog does everything right, and you fail to deliver. I have had a good season with the shotgun. Almost everything that I have aimed at has dropped. This whiff hurt.

BTW: Eastern, Colorado landowners need rain this spring and summer

I’ve done that so many times. Letting the dog down. Happened on the last day of the Indiana season this year with my 4 month old pup. She pushed a rooster out at the bottom of a ditch after a long time trailing him. I missed with all 4. Long wait for redemption next year.

Missing sucks. Missing your only opportunity at a rooster on the final steps in a 13 mile walk is deflating. The negative feeling is amplified when your bird dog does everything right, and you fail to deliver. I have had a good season with the shotgun. Almost everything that I have aimed at has dropped. This whiff hurt.

BTW: Eastern, Colorado landowners need rain this spring and summer
I call these "Existential Hunts". The kind where you slog resolutely on to the end with no hope for success, and are not disappointed. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back, and neither likes what it saw...

Last edited:
I call these "Existential Hunts". The kind where you slog resolutely on to the end with no hope for success, and are not disappointed...
While I bitterly disappointed that I didn't get it done, we will go at it again at least one more time before the season ends. I feel fortunate that I am able to hunt in such a magnificent part of the country with Echo.

While I bitterly disappointed that I didn't get it done, we will go at it again at least one more time before the season ends. I feel fortunate that I am able to hunt in such a magnificent part of the country with Echo.
Yeah, damm, south Dakota has a long season!! If it wasn't so spendy, and a CRUISE!!! I'd be out there for sure.

Back