Ammo debate

For years while hunting, my buddies and I have always discussed ammo. (ie.. brands, size, lead-steel-bizmuth blah blah blah! I've always been the one who buys with my wallet in mind. Until last year I've always shot wally world brands. A buddy of mine introduced me to Fiochi's during a late season hunt last year and It's like a whole new world, more power, distance it was great until I looked at the price of the shells. So this year I am going to lighten my wallet and purchase KENT shells, not quite as expensive but not the cheapest either. Does anyone have experience shooting these shells. I would love some feedback

i have been using Fiochi's for years now, they are expensive but I have taken shots from distances that I wouldn't even think of with a lesser shell with great success. if you have to use to shells instead of one the Fiochi is a better deal! :)

Kansas, do you mean the Kent Ultimate Pheasant load-the 1 3/8 ounce 12 gauge shell? I got a deal on them for $10 a box and will use them this year in place of the Federal Pheasants Forever 1 3/8 ounce load which are now around $18 and report back on the results. I expect they will work fine as I bought a couple of these boxes at a gun shop in SD south of Watertown called I think Koon's Roost or Korner Roost, something like that? They must think highly of them. Kent has a good name and I wouldn't skimp on paying for good shells, it's about the least of the total cost.

I used a box of them (Kent) last year in my 12 guage. I believe they were 1.25 oz load. I thought They worked just fine. I wouldn't have a problem using them again. One the same thought I really like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants, maybe my favorite load.

Heard lot about the Fiocchi shells and broke down and bought a box last season. WOW!!! So I decided to get a box for my .410 and had a heck of a time finding them, but just wasn't looking hard enough. I agree, they are a little expensive but I think it's worth it. Good luck this season!:10sign:

I used a box of them (Kent) last year in my 12 guage. I believe they were 1.25 oz load. I thought They worked just fine. I wouldn't have a problem using them again. One the same thought I really like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants, maybe my favorite load.

Fiocchi Golden Pheasants is a great load. I bought a case for the season.

1 case/season? You the man, doing that much hunting.

LOL. I go through 3-4 SD licenses per year. I'll be hunting the first 3 weekends in October, November a few times December is pretty booked up. So you never know.

I think I'm making up for my lost childhood hunting memories since I didn't start hunting until 2002.

Fiocchi Golden Pheasants are the best I have used. Also used the Federal Pheasant Forever loads, pretty good, but not like the Fiocchi's. I believe the nickle platting is harder/denser than the copper on the Federals, patterns better in my gun. Also just might be a mindset, shooting the best loads makes you believe in your shot.

For years while hunting, my buddies and I have always discussed ammo. (ie.. brands, size, lead-steel-bizmuth blah blah blah! I've always been the one who buys with my wallet in mind. Until last year I've always shot wally world brands. A buddy of mine introduced me to Fiochi's during a late season hunt last year and It's like a whole new world, more power, distance it was great until I looked at the price of the shells. So this year I am going to lighten my wallet and purchase KENT shells, not quite as expensive but not the cheapest either. Does anyone have experience shooting these shells. I would love some feedback
I would encourage anyone and everyone to "splurge" on the cost of shells. Just for fun lets say your a game hog and shoot a 100 roosters a year, and since no one is perfect say an average of two shells per bird, which gives us 200 shells or 8 boxes per year. Now guess $15/box for quality nickel i.e. Fiocchi/Kent and $10/box for anything else. You would save $40 per season, maybe not insignificant, but certainly less than a tank of gas in the truck.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to "splurge" on the cost of shells. Just for fun lets say your a game hog and shoot a 100 roosters a year, and since no one is perfect say an average of two shells per bird, which gives us 200 shells or 8 boxes per year. Now guess $15/box for quality nickel i.e. Fiocchi/Kent and $10/box for anything else. You would save $40 per season, maybe not insignificant, but certainly less than a tank of gas in the truck.

Niceshot, I am with you on that a 100% !!!

I have been shooting fiocchi Golden pheasants for the last four seasons, Last year I splurged on the 3" Golden Pheasant ext shells and have been extremly happy with the shells. I have even made a beliver out of a couple of my friends the way they knock down birds. I was also wondering about the kents? A friend of mine picked up a couple boxes yesterday since he only goes out opening weekend, It will be interesting to see how they perform..

Fiocchi/Kent are great shells, I used to be a walmart buyer too, but a few years ago I bought a box of Fiocchi and had amazing results! My dad switched over the next year, and I'd have to say our kill ratio has nearly doubled, they have that extra kick to em

Well, I guess I'm the odd man out on this discussion. I tried two boxes of the Fiocci golden pheasant loads in #6. I was NOT impressed. I went back to the Winchester high brass pheasant loads and have no intention of EVER buying Fiocci again.

I have been told that guns like certain loads better than others. Obviously my gun doesn't like Fiocci. For me, Fiocci = search for crippled bird. Winchester = dead where it lands...

I tried to use up the remainder of the Fiocci loads during early prairie chicken season this year, and lost a big female. The only good point I can say about my experience with the Fiocci loads is that I have been using them at the bird farm for dog training and I like them because it gives the dog more work to do after the shot....

Just my 2 cents. FWIW, the Winchesters I use are the high-brass Super X pheasant loads. 1 1/4 oz. The Fiocci's I used were the high brass, nickel plated, 1 3/8 oz #6.

Last edited:
I use Federal Premium's. I have tried a few rounds of the Fiocci's and didn't really like them. I'm happy with the way that my gun handles and shoots Federal's, now if I would just be happy about the way that I shot my gun that would make it all better....:D:D

I use Federal Premium's. I have tried a few rounds of the Fiocci's and didn't really like them. I'm happy with the way that my gun handles and shoots Federal's, now if I would just be happy about the way that I shot my gun that would make it all better....:D:D

I've hunted with a lot of different people and I don't think you have much to worry about Lee!

Well that makes me feel just a little bit better, not much though...LOL. I think that was supposed to be supportive comment wasn't it KB? :D

I'm surprised how many folks on here use Federals on here. I don't see many people use them. Most won't even look at them. I guess it is a regional preference. When I was hunting with my 870 express I couldn't even cycle them. My new Brownig cycles them, but it has a distaste for winchesters. The ammo that I really like that nobody ever talks about is Remington Express Long Range. I've always had good success using it.

Back