Am I the only one with birds to eat yet?

I have a few birds left that will be going in the crock pot next week. Still working on an elk but that should be gone in a few months. My goal is to have an empty freezer before the season opens so I have plenty of room for birds and deer.

I'm out of pheasants and just have a few quail left.

One good thing about Texas is that the possession limit ceases when the bird is finally processed or reaches its final destination. So once they are in the freezer at your permanent residence they don't count.

Grind the pheasants up, mix with jerky seasoning, stick meat in jerky shooter gun and fire meat onto dehydrator trays. That will get rid of most of your pheasants in a hurry.

I have no birds left to eat, looking forward to opening grouse season here in Mn and then pheasants. I'm getting hungry again for sure. LOL

TX to IA, that is a good drive. Good luck witht the puppy, what breed? What part of the state?
I’m laying here in a hotel room in Ames, looking through my maps, and researched info. Going to do some scouting early in the morning.

im about an hour south of the breeders place in NC. It took me 11 hrs to get here. My brother is getting a GSP. We currently have 2 each. Pretty excited for him.

I’m out of pheasant and quail. I have probably 10 sharpies left. I really have to be in the mood for sharps.
Personally, I put grouse up there with mallard. I like to soak in saltwater, then generously rub salt/pepper on the outside, grill hot and short, served rare. But, poppers are always a crowd pleaser and, although much more work, might be a good route if you aren't that crazy about them.

For those with any reservations on sharpies (or prairie chickens since they have that same purple meat with an acquired flavor to them) try marinading the meat using this recipe:

Combine the following in a freezer zip lock:

1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup minced ginger
Chopped onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cloves chopped garlic
Add meat
Mix and put in fridge for 4 to 24 hours

Then cook however you prefer. I've used it for everything from pheasants to sharpies and chickens. I couldn't even tell the difference between the pheasant and sharpies when I marinate with that recipe.

For those with any reservations on sharpies (or prairie chickens since they have that same purple meat with an acquired flavor to them) try marinading the meat using this recipe:

Combine the following in a freezer zip lock:

1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup minced ginger
Chopped onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cloves chopped garlic
Add meat
Mix and put in fridge for 4 to 24 hours

Then cook however you prefer. I've used it for everything from pheasants to sharpies and chickens. I couldn't even tell the difference between the pheasant and sharpies when I marinate with that recipe.

I did a similar teryaki recipe (pineapple juice, instead of orange) a couple weeks ago for pheasant skewers and it is hard to beat a flavorful marinade.

I did a similar teryaki recipe (pineapple juice, instead of orange) a couple weeks ago for pheasant skewers and it is hard to beat a flavorful marinade.
Yeah that marinade reminds me of anything teriyaki. So if you like that flavor, definitely try that with your wild game.

Have 7 more birds in the freezer made a couple of pot pies last week and picked up ingredients to make a couple more soon.

I got maybe a bag of pheasants left and a few pen raised quail from training still. Season can't get here soon enough!

Still have a dozen, my wife made pheasant ragoons for our last meal. Waltons has some great recipes

Zesty Italian dressing is great for marinading

Prairie grouse…I pound them
A bit with a tenderizing hammer…Montreal steak seasoning while grilling them to rare/med rare…

I ground some of my pheasants up this winter. I made some into breakfast sausage patty which is amazing. I left some just in burger with no seasoning figuring I could season to whatever the purpose was going to be. Tonight, my wife was going to make meatballs, gravy and some of her amazing mashed potatoes. I quickly put some pheasant burger in water to defrost (vacuum seal flat so it doesn't take long). I then seasoned and cooked alongside the hamburger meatballs. Did not disappoint! 😋😋😋

Back