Alpha 10 handheld

I don't have either right now and can't afford both. Trying to decide between the two units. I would get the alpha 200, but that's way more than the average or even the unaverage pheasant hunter needs. Seems built for guys running coon hounds. Still a nice unit though.

I have the 550 plus and it's very nice but it is massive, heavy, and geared more toward correction. I feel like if a dog needs that much correction while I'm hunting then it's time to go back to the basics with that particular dog.

I wanted a smaller unit just to mark direction and distance with simple correction if I needed it. My dogs aren't big Miller bred runners, but you all know how uneasy it makes you feel working tall thick vegetation and not being able to see your dog. Therefore, the smaller handheld with slightly better tracking features and simplicity was my justification. I also went the trade in route with my 550 and got a good chunk of it back. I will try and post an update when I get it in.

Anyone try this new handheld? Seems like a great complement to a 550 plus.
I have it. The hand held works great it's easy to use and pairs to my phone well. I am having a problem the last two days with my tt15 collars getting a gps signal after a update... They are still connecting to the Alpha 10 though.

Anyone wanting more info on the Alpha 10 should go to the Gun Dog Supply web site and watch Steve's video. He does a good job of discussing the pros and cons and also comparing it to the 550+, Alpha 100 and Alpha 200.

I see that you can have the handheld unit give a tone or vibrate or both when the dog is on point. For those of you that have the Alpha 10 are you able to hear the tone or feel the vibrate. That is the main complaint I have with my Alpha 100 the tone and vibrate are so weak that I can't hear or feel either. I also don't feel the tone and vibrate on the collar are very strong either even in the max setting. If I lay the collar on a table and hit the vibrate you can hear it vibrate but it's not real strong. I have a Dogtra training collar with vibrate and when I lay that collar on the table and hit vibrate it darn near jumps off the table. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Anyone wanting more info on the Alpha 10 should go to the Gun Dog Supply web site and watch Steve's video. He does a good job of discussing the pros and cons and also comparing it to the 550+, Alpha 100 and Alpha 200.

I see that you can have the handheld unit give a tone or vibrate or both when the dog is on point. For those of you that have the Alpha 10 are you able to hear the tone or feel the vibrate. That is the main complaint I have with my Alpha 100 the tone and vibrate are so weak that I can't hear or feel either. I also don't feel the tone and vibrate on the collar are very strong either even in the max setting. If I lay the collar on a table and hit the vibrate you can hear it vibrate but it's not real strong. I have a Dogtra training collar with vibrate and when I lay that collar on the table and hit vibrate it darn near jumps off the table. Just wondering what others have experienced.
The collar functions stay the same. You can't change between Vibrate Tone and Stimulation very fast with the 10. You only have the one button. I only run continuous stimulation so it's not a deal breaker for me. I have been able to feel and hear the point notifications fine. I don't have the 100 so I don't have anything to compare it to. I plan on running a beeper on point only on both my dogs, when we go out on group hunts so everyone knows when they are on point and can locate them easier.

I was a little confused earlier. I was thinking the 10 was the high end unit. just saw the alpha 10 at a local shop today and realized it was new. For your average foot hunter this is without a doubt the unit to go with in my opinion. I upgraded my auto to the alpha 100 last year. Would have done the 10 if it had been available.

So how did the 10 work for you guys who had it for the season?
Only gripe I have is the correction button could have better feel. It's hard to press down sometimes with gloves on. I have had my unit since August and it's held up great. I use it a few times every week.

The unit functions well, no problems linking with collar etc. It is simple and was very nice for when hunting in really thick cover. Here's the negatives: the correction button is poorly designed. In warm weather no problem, with gloves on and in cold weather it is difficult to tell whether or not you have pushed it. Not tactile at all. Also, in my opinion any unit only needs two buttons, tone/vibe and correction. This unit only has one button for a shock or a tone. The last major issue is that it doesn't come with a lanyard or attachment system that works for upland hunting.

The unit functions well, no problems linking with collar etc. It is simple and was very nice for when hunting in really thick cover. Here's the negatives: the correction button is poorly designed. In warm weather no problem, with gloves on and in cold weather it is difficult to tell whether or not you have pushed it. Not tactile at all. Also, in my opinion any unit only needs two buttons, tone/vibe and correction. This unit only has one button for a shock or a tone. The last major issue is that it doesn't come with a lanyard or attachment system that works for upland hunting.
Someone found a 100 over the weekend and found the owner. A couple of people said they also had lost one. 3 people in one weekend surprised me. I didn’t even know it was much of a thing.

I have one, and to be honest I do not like it and use it far less than I thought. Early season without gloves on, not too bad. But once I added a pair of gloves it was impossible to push any buttons. Mine has very little use, if anybody is interested it I would be interested in selling or trading for a Garmin Pro 550+

I had the 550+, which Garmin ultimately took back and exchanged for an Alpha 100. The 550+ GPS location was unreliable at best. Garmin replaced three separate 550 handhelds. Inaccurate readings and “not finding north” were routine. Tried hard software reinstalls, calibration, etc. The last unit wouldn’t even calibrate. The reason I bring this up is that the Alpha 10‘s simlified display looks similar to to the 550+. I can’t help but wonder if the GPS units are similar or even the same.

I had to pay an additional $200 to Garmin for the Alpha 100 upgrade. It has been totally worth it. Rock solid on GPS location, and I really like the additional data reporting features (dog distance traveled, maps in a pinch). The dog correction buttons have worked fine for me.

Edit: I also put an Apple Air Tag on the Alpha handheld (along with a carabiner clipped to my vest). Super easy to find if misplaced in the house or in the field.

Good info guys. I lost my lab for 90 minutes in a standing cornfield in NoDak in October. That was a first for me and got me to looking
at the various Garmin systems. Several of my pointer friends have the Alpha 100. I was leaning toward the Alpha 10 and would probably have
bought one except the TT collars seemed to be out of stock across the country until some time in January. I can put off that expense until next season. The comments about the Alpha 10 having only one button so you cannot easily tone or stim bothers me. One pointer mentor recommended I get the 550 + but that is just too big and heavy. I've been using the small Tritronics Sport Combo G3 that I attach to the left side of my vest with velcro. It's out of the way and easily operated. I suppose I could continue to use that for tone/stim and just use an Alpha 10 for tracking if and when needed and have Brady wear two collars.

Not having to rush to a decision now, I can spend some more time checking these units out.

Tom

After almost finishing the season. I can say that the alpha 10 was one of the best purchases I have made in awhile. I have been hunting dogs since early 2000's and wish I would have it then. No more listening to a beeper I can track my dogs on phone or hand held. I also like the info it gives after a hunt. How far you and your dogs have walked /run. You can turn the color lights on if you stay out past dark "pretty cool feature". you can mark you truck so you don't have to worry about finding your way back. Also the peace of mind if a dog does runs off

OK, I just have to ask. Has anybody actually lost their truck on a hunt...LOL. Just pulling your chain Jake. I agree, the Alpha is a fine collar.

OK, I just have to ask. Has anybody actually lost their truck on a hunt...LOL. Just pulling your chain Jake. I agree, the Alpha is a fine collar.
Lol I got turned around on a chicken hunt this fall on a big patch of walk-in. Cloudy day , dogleg ridges. The sun popped out and it was on the wrong side of me. I had to pull out my phone figure out where I was at😆

3 of us went into a 80 acre piece of crp that was mostly 5 foot high sweet clover. I didn't have a dog and was using my brother's dog who was used to hunting with me and the others. We were going in at last light and the sky was quickly darkening with cloud cover. I lost the dog and spent 15 minutes in the dark calling for him. He had a lighted collar on so I was afraid he was in a snare as I couldn't see him anywhere.

After the long 15 minutes of calling searching one of the guys turned the truck on and I headed to the lights. I was so turned around in that small field I had no clue where I was at. I actually thought the truck was a neighbor coming to return the lost dog. I get to the road and the dog is sitting there. I said ... I was sure we lost him. My buddies said he has been here the whole time. I said what the hell didn't you guys here me calling him? They both said oh we heard you. Dog was ignoring you so we did too. They laughed and laughed.

Back