Albino???

Wirehairs

My friend shot this Rooster opening day. Pretty cool!

2010pheasantopener009.jpg

2010pheasantopener011-1.jpg

What the heck is it?! Looks sweet though. nice pics:coolpics:

Albino?

It looks like just a young rooster, we shot one yesterday that had a white belly and white on his face, they are that way when they are young until their full colors come in. But, can't really see the spurs to see how young he really is, but a young one would be my guess.

It looks like just a young rooster, we shot one yesterday that had a white belly and white on his face, they are that way when they are young until their full colors come in. But, can't really see the spurs to see how young he really is, but a young one would be my guess.

I have seen a lot of young roosters and that is not what this one is. If you look at the legs and feet they are pure white. The tail feathers from the base about half way up were also pure white. The picture didn't show that. This bird has a little genetic quirk.
Here is another pic
2010pheasantopener002.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a number of pheasants over the years that had a lot of white on them like the one pictured. I think it's just some mutation. Back in 1980 we were driving down a gravel road out here in SD and spotted some pheasants in the ditch up ahead. There was one white pheasant in the bunch. They ran into the weeds so we got out and jumped into the weeds. The whole bunch flushed and I shot the white one. Turned out it was a hen, but how could you tell? It was totally white, not one dark feather on it.

Hope I'm not incriminating myself by admitting I shot a hen?? But since it was 30 years ago the statute of limitations has probably run out. And besides, where's the evidence? :)

I've seen a number of pheasants over the years that had a lot of white on them like the one pictured. I think it's just some mutation. Back in 1980 we were driving down a gravel road out here in SD and spotted some pheasants in the ditch up ahead. There was one white pheasant in the bunch. They ran into the weeds so we got out and jumped into the weeds. The whole bunch flushed and I shot the white one. Turned out it was a hen, but how could you tell? It was totally white, not one dark feather on it.

Hope I'm not incriminating myself by admitting I shot a hen?? But since it was 30 years ago the statute of limitations has probably run out. And besides, where's the evidence? :)

Genetic mutation indeed. That's not a young bird. Youngin's look "funny" but not quite like that. We raised a bunch and none looked like that one in their younger years.

I shot something similar a few years ago. The other thing that stood out besides all the white was that it had pink eyes.

My nephew and I teamed on a bird just about identical to that one 2 years ago. We harvested him down by Plankinton. The farm house we stay at has a totally white bird that someone shot a few years ago and had mounted...very unusual!!

Back