Acl surgery

With having two dogs that went through that surgery, I would say "no". Let her fully recover. Agree with Citori 16-- vet should make the call.

My English pointer had both TPLO surgeries.
I was instructed by the vet not to hunt her until she has trust in her own bad leg, otherwise they favor it and put to much stress on the good leg and blow it out within a year. Don’t know if your vet told you, but theres a very high percentage that your pup with eventually blow the other leg so I definitely wouldn’t rush the process.
If anyone is looking for a great orthopedic vet, there’s one in Omaha NE called Sirius Vet. That’s where I want for the second TPLO because I wasn’t happy with the first vet. Top notch vet and worth the drive.

Found this on Sirius Vet website:

Did you know that four-legged athletes' bones need AT LEAST six (6) weeks to heal after a fracture repair or a bone cutting orthopedic procedure? Well, they do.

In addition, they will lose strength and muscle mass for 6-8 weeks after surgery. This makes post-operative care just as important, or maybe even more important, than the surgery itself.

We all know that pets are resilient beings and will push through just about anything. However, just because their incision is healed does not mean they are ready to be active. It is important to listen to your surgeon's post surgical instructions to avoid costly complications or more surgery.

At Sirius Vet, we inform pet parents that it usually takes 3-4 months for your best friend to return to their peak performance. (2 months of bone healing and another 1-2 months to add muscle strength and endurance) We also know that this means a lot of work for you, as the pet parent.

To help guide you and your athletes' recovery we find follow-up radiographs (X-rays) extremely important. These are typically taken 6-8 weeks after surgery just as they are in human medicine.

The following radiographs are from patients whom have had a TPLO procedure, one of the most common procedures at Sirius Vet. The x-rays show the bone has healed and the implants have not moved since they were placed in surgery. This allows the surgeon to inform the pet parent that it is okay to increase activity. This usually means longer walks, light jogging, more stairs, and maybe even some off-leash, supervised activity.

The final month of the recovery can be equally as challenging as we try to keep our patients from going 0 to 100mph. Zoom!! Don’t want to pull a muscle!!

Did you know that four-legged athletes' bones need AT LEAST six (6) weeks to heal after a fracture repair or a bone cutting orthopedic procedure? Well, they do.

In addition, they will lose strength and muscle mass for 6-8 weeks after surgery. This makes post-operative care just as important, or maybe even more important, than the surgery itself.

We all know that pets are resilient beings and will push through just about anything. However, just because their incision is healed does not mean they are ready to be active. It is important to listen to your surgeon's post surgical instructions to avoid costly complications or more surgery.

At Sirius Vet, we inform pet parents that it usually takes 3-4 months for your best friend to return to their peak performance. (2 months of bone healing and another 1-2 months to add muscle strength and endurance) We also know that this means a lot of work for you, as the pet parent.

To help guide you and your athletes' recovery we find follow-up radiographs (X-rays) extremely important. These are typically taken 6-8 weeks after surgery just as they are in human medicine.

The following radiographs are from patients whom have had a TPLO procedure, one of the most common procedures at Sirius Vet. The x-rays show the bone has healed and the implants have not moved since they were placed in surgery. This allows the surgeon to inform the pet parent that it is okay to increase activity. This usually means longer walks, light jogging, more stairs, and maybe even some off-leash, supervised activity.

The final month of the recovery can be equally as challenging as we try to keep our patients from going 0 to 10. Zoom!! Don’t want to pull a muscle!!
I agree.Im going to take it real easy, and follow orders. I have a friend who will loan me his lab.He won't be able to hunt.

I think that's a good decision. If you were to hunt her latter this season, I would swim her every day I could for a couple weeks. That's good for it without the strain. Then I would make the hunts short.

One of our labs had both back knees "repaired" using the TPLO (read expensive) procedure. Considering the cost of the surgery and the dogs well being we followed the vet's advise and did not hunt her for either year of the surgery. The advise and our observations were that a minimum of 4 months recovery/physical therapy. As noted by UplandBird, the final month is the hardest. The dog is feeling good, you want to hunt/prepare to hunt, but take it easy. Blow that knee again and it is virtually impossible to repair, so we were told. Talk to your vet, get his/her advise. Get a 2nd opinion if you aren't comfortable with his/her advise. If you are near a larger city, find a canine physical therapy center. There are such facilities. They can provide something beyond "good walks". Again, that is expensive surgery. Your dog is important. Do the best by her! You'll be glad you did and she'll recover to hunt a long time into the future.

The best dog I ever had I accidentally ran him over 5-25-18, I will never forget it because it was my birthday, I spent the night in the parking lot at Vet, saved his life but could either take one of his legs or repair it , just like we all would/do in most cases I chose the surgery to save, looking back I should of let the doctors take the leg ( I have hunted behind a couple good 3 legged dogs) which they did a great repair but was never the same. I hunted him in the two years following In good weather and bad, but he was never the same, the drive was there but physically he couldn’t do it.. I hunted him to long and I had to put him down two years ago. Point being, enjoy the dogs company even if that means not doing what you or your pup really wants to do.

The final month of the recovery can be equally as challenging as we try to keep our patients from going 0 to 100mph. Zoom!! Don’t want to pull a muscle!!
Good advise.I have been keeping my dog on leash.Its been 6 weeks.She is looking good, needs to loose some weight. She turned 9 in September. I took her on 8 ft. Leash into bird country a few days ago. Short walk on a trail.No hills.She did well. It was beautiful weather. Took the camper, looked for turkey,didn't see any, but had a report from 2 guys from Washington. I'm just going to keep my dog on easy terain, on a 8 ft. Leash. No running. I hope she can hunt in December in a limited capacity.

One of our labs had both back knees "repaired" using the TPLO (read expensive) procedure. Considering the cost of the surgery and the dogs well being we followed the vet's advise and did not hunt her for either year of the surgery. The advise and our observations were that a minimum of 4 months recovery/physical therapy. As noted by UplandBird, the final month is the hardest. The dog is feeling good, you want to hunt/prepare to hunt, but take it easy. Blow that knee again and it is virtually impossible to repair, so we were told. Talk to your vet, get his/her advise. Get a 2nd opinion if you aren't comfortable with his/her advise. If you are near a larger city, find a canine physical therapy center. There are such facilities. They can provide something beyond "good walks". Again, that is expensive surgery. Your dog is important. Do the best by her! You'll be glad you did and she'll recover to hunt a long time into the future.
I don't live by a city.I live up on the Canadian in the far north. I'm going to start a swimming routine soon.

I too had a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries. When the time came for her to add swimming as therapy, I would put on my duck hunting waders and lead her into the water so she couldn’t “launch”. Be careful of explosive actions on her part.

I too had a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries. When the time came for her to add swimming as therapy, I would put on my duck hunting waders and lead her into the water so she couldn’t “launch”. Be careful of explosive actions on her part.
That's a good idea! Thanks for that. Why didn't I think of that? I took her out for her first swim yesterday. She did very well, and swam for 15 minutes. She was kind of stiff the rest of the day.

Back