Aberdeen area and ice.

Weimdogman

I have seen pics of the ice around the Aberdeen area and they aren't pretty. Anyone out in the area experience it first hand?

I was hunting West of Aberdeen this past week and left on Saturday. We received freezing rain on Wednesday night and Thursday. West of 45 most vegetation and anywhere from .5 to .75 or more inches of ice. I did hunt Thursday afternoon, birds I flushed and killed had ice packed tails. Dogs could not work the vegetation it was solid ice, not to mention is was almost impossible to walk thru myself. I busted trail for the dogs to get downwind of fence row and they just walked the edge, they did have some nice points. Hunted Friday, it was not any better, main paved roads were pretty much clear, secondary paved roads were icy as were the gravel roads. Dogs (Britts and Setter) could walk ontop of vegetation but if they broke thru it was like they went thru the ice on a lake or pond, they struggled to get out. Started west and tried spots all the way to Conde area, Conde area had better hunting conditions where dogs and hunters could actually hunt the ground. Tried a spot in the Mellette area and the dogs had to jump over everything, roughly quarter to half inch of ice on vegetation. Faulkton west and north had the most ice any tall vegetation or cattails was almost impossible to walk thru. Birds in ditches and seen in the field were pretty iced up.

I think if the sun would come out it wouldn't take much to melt the ice off the vegetation or birds. If it would stay cloudy and cold then it will take some time. Vegetation was frozen pointing south from the north winds so walking north was very difficult, walking direction of freeze not too bad, but typically with the wind.

Let me know if you have particular questions or shoot me a message.

Very icy west of Ipswich. I have fallen twice one of the hunters fell and broke two ribs.
Yes walking was/is very treacherous. Sorry to hear about the hunters injury.

West is terrible. Not really even worth it. I was around Roscoe yesterday morning and 20mph was pushing it. The only road that I saw drivable was HWY 12. All the other roads have 3/4" of an inch of pure ice on them. I drove to Eden yesterday afternoon and the drive was almost perfect.

Back