Aaarrrggghhh! The inhumanity

JO BO

With the pheasant numbers down 60% in North Dakota this year the motorists are making it worse. 4 days in a row now, I have come across

a pheasant hen smashed in the road by vehicles traveling the highway. Most in the same small area.

The torture of seeing the few that made it through only to be taken this way is hard to take.

Lets see now ( projected future loses if all went well in the nesting field)......4 x 8 =32.........1/2 of those hens = 16 x 8= 128 1/2 again

is 64 x 8 =512 etc.etc.etc. UGH!

Other way of looking at it is that some made it through in that general area?????? Just looking at the bright side.

math is the same for every hen that is taken by a coyote or hawk........environmental hazards, i would think.......

With the pheasant numbers down 60% in North Dakota this year the motorists are making it worse. 4 days in a row now, I have come across

a pheasant hen smashed in the road by vehicles traveling the highway. Most in the same small area.

The torture of seeing the few that made it through only to be taken this way is hard to take.

Lets see now ( projected future loses if all went well in the nesting field)......4 x 8 =32.........1/2 of those hens = 16 x 8= 128 1/2 again

is 64 x 8 =512 etc.etc.etc. UGH!

I used to feel the same way but no longer do. Means there are birds there and lots of them. When there are lots of birds dead on the roads it means there are good numbers of birds.

this Is actually a good sign, the more dead by cars the more there are. but agree always sucks to see dead hens hit by cars. it would be really rare to hit the 4 birds if there was a really small number. so it means there are a lot more around. in Years when I have seen more than a couple dead from cars in a ditch, have been good years for numbers. here's hoping you have a lot birds around.

Thank you all for the brighter outlook. The number of hens did increase to 6, but not all in a row...(day wise). No roosters being taken that way though (so far)......

Did see a coyote in the same area run over as well. The road has fast oil field/truck speeds along with others. I usually see this type of stuff 4 miles further

East from this zone each year, but haven't seen one bird anywhere there this year. Maybe they all moved West.

Back