A season with the hounds

Yeah, there was a mess of them out there saturday.

Tough day of hunting but Lady finally put one in the bag. She had a beautiful point pinning him between her and I against a flooded ditch. She had two more finds on hens and JP flushed four hens, they both hunted about the same amount of time.

View attachment 7771

View attachment 7772

I've been invited by a friend who manages a private duck club in the Butte Sink to come hunt pheasants and quail on the club. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it up there but I sure hope I can. When and if I do I'll probably spend a day at Greylodge while I'm up there too.

Been gone and busy hunting, and this was a great read to come back to!

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm getting some pretty good work out of the pup already and of course the old warrior is always ready to rock. Heading out to the grasslands tomorrow.:cheers:

Out in Utah now hunting! I'll put together a post when I get home. Been a good trip, but it's the last weekend of the season. Good luck!

I look forward to it.

We had a good day in the grasslands despite missing my only shot at a rooster. We saw 7 hens and 5 roosters and the pup had solid points on three hens and a rooster.

View attachment 7791

View attachment 7792

Great thread Robert. Glade some one is out hunting them up. looks like i am out for this year, getting old sucks LOL

Went out yesterday morning for a few hours. JP flushed a few hens and Lady had points on four hens, two covies of quail, and one rooster who ran and flushed wild. I was going to take her out quail hunting this morning but forgot to set my alarm.:(

View attachment 7810

Overslept, eh? Well, it happens. 'Course the dog doesn't understand, but she still loves you. She doesn't know what you kept her from...probably. She is unlikely to think that she might have caught on to some essential bit of training and experience that would completely fulfill her genetic inheritance, her drive, her entire being. She still loves you, even while you were sleeping...unaware of the beating canine heart that races at the very scent of your gun and gear being loaded. She still loves you, dependent as she is for all things in her life. So, the sleep you got is probably a good thing, no matter what the near or short term effects on her life, training, natural reactions to wind, weather and game. Well, fine. Just fine.

(This message brought to you courtesy of Kismet's Grand Hall of Guilt Trips. Limited enrollment spots available.)

:D:D:D

She's really beautiful.:thumbsup:

Overslept, eh? Well, it happens. 'Course the dog doesn't understand, but she still loves you. She doesn't know what you kept her from...probably. She is unlikely to think that she might have caught on to some essential bit of training and experience that would completely fulfill her genetic inheritance, her drive, her entire being. She still loves you, even while you were sleeping...unaware of the beating canine heart that races at the very scent of your gun and gear being loaded. She still loves you, dependent as she is for all things in her life. So, the sleep you got is probably a good thing, no matter what the near or short term effects on her life, training, natural reactions to wind, weather and game. Well, fine. Just fine.

(This message brought to you courtesy of Kismet's Grand Hall of Guilt Trips. Limited enrollment spots available.)

:D:D:D

She's really beautiful.:thumbsup:

:10sign: The year is winding down and this entry just catapulted you to the front of the "Forum User of the Year" category. :cheers:

Terribly windy today in the grasslands, 30-40mph sustained. The springers were dropped first and quickly put up two roosters, the first got up into tge sun and by the time I was able to identify it I had to let it go. That would prove to ve the only rooster in range. Lady pointed three covies of quail and a few snipe, one I decided to shoot for her. Total for the day was 4 roosters, 4 hens, and 4 covies.

View attachment 7829

View attachment 7830

Thank you Goosemaster!

We finished off pheasant season with one more rooster in the Grasslands. Now it's time to quail hunt again with a possible trip to Arizona mearns country coming up.

View attachment 7850

Thanks for sharing a great season with your dogs with us.

(You look more regal with the setter dog. Just sayin')

:rolleyes:

That's because she's a fine sports car and he's a bulldozer.:cheers:

Back