A recap of this past season..

I live 420 miles away…think if you lived close by, and could hunt 3,4,5 days per week, even for a few hours…hard not shooting a lot of birds….I’m planning my last trip as we speak…may be a warm up in about 10 days…I’ve got some landowners to properly thank for the last outing…baby back ribs from Duquette general store….$22 per rack…AMAZING! 😜😜

Each rack is situated in a rectangular cardboard box, with a handle…enclosed in foil, sauced one of three ways…they’re hot, I put them in a cooler and they’re still hot hours later, especially if there are 3,4, 5 racks in there. Many people get 2 or more meals per rack…I don’t! 🥳❤️

That would be the ticket! 😆😆 I actually try to operate incognito, appear like a lost librarian or soccer dad that followed the phone’s directions too
It’s about days afield…and hunting in productive areas…and, in SD, where party hunting is legal, #’s can add up pretty quickly…most years, across the whole SD season, I suspect I average 3.75, 4, 4.5, per day; most years I’m over 30 days…this year, I’ll probably be in the middle or high 20’s, and, have done more solo hunting or small groups, so #’s are lower than other years in the past 5, 10 years. It‘s rare when I enter a piece of cover and don’t get a bird…it does happen, but not too often. I always have the goal of at least getting a bird or two for the pair, or small group of us...usually happens, not always. I’ve done many short days this year..an hour or two after I arrive or before I depart…mostly one or two bird outings…but 6,7,8 bird days offset those lower days. Had a group of 5 adults and 2 teenagers a month ago…not serious hunters, a few of us killed a disproportionate share. I’ve hunted most of these spots for decades, at least 5 years in all cases…helps knowing what the birds often do.
Yeah I have shot my nephews birds a few times.He is a work in progress.

Was fortunate enough to make it out hunting for at-least a quick hunt all but 15 days this past season in Iowa. Some of these were very quick "golden hour" hunts, but I had a few weeks of PTO, hunted every weekend, and didn't miss a Holiday. Very lucky to have a flexible work schedule.

Of the hunts I was on (this includes several days with multiple people, but most often it was myself, my dad, and a friend), we bagged 324 wild roosters. 25 of those were on public, the rest private. 90% of these would have been flushed and/or retrieved by one of my two golden retrievers. Was able to get a couple of young kids there first roosters during youth season, and a handful of other adults their first roosters ever or in several years. That part is quite rewarding.

Shot birds in 17 different counties in the state. I have now shot a rooster on public land in 68 different counties in Iowa over the past 4 seasons, and hope to reach all 99 in the next 5-6 years. I've virtually hunted everything within 2 hours of me, so making day trips to try and knock-off new counties has become quite a challenge.

I put ~10,000 miles on my truck this hunting season.

My overall observations were..
-Bird numbers seemed to be lower than the past few years, but still strong.
-Exponentially more hunting pressure both public and private. If this trend continues, I think it will become even harder than it is already to gain permission on private lands.
-Where there is good habitat, the birds thrive virtually everywhere in the state. Best hunting still north of HWY 20 and West of I-35.
- Overall, a very good season, both the dogs and I are ready for a break.View attachment 7312
I'm calling bs on this.

Was fortunate enough to make it out hunting for at-least a quick hunt all but 15 days this past season in Iowa. Some of these were very quick "golden hour" hunts, but I had a few weeks of PTO, hunted every weekend, and didn't miss a Holiday. Very lucky to have a flexible work schedule.

Of the hunts I was on (this includes several days with multiple people, but most often it was myself, my dad, and a friend), we bagged 324 wild roosters. 25 of those were on public, the rest private. 90% of these would have been flushed and/or retrieved by one of my two golden retrievers. Was able to get a couple of young kids there first roosters during youth season, and a handful of other adults their first roosters ever or in several years. That part is quite rewarding.

Shot birds in 17 different counties in the state. I have now shot a rooster on public land in 68 different counties in Iowa over the past 4 seasons, and hope to reach all 99 in the next 5-6 years. I've virtually hunted everything within 2 hours of me, so making day trips to try and knock-off new counties has become quite a challenge.

I put ~10,000 miles on my truck this hunting season.

My overall observations were..
-Bird numbers seemed to be lower than the past few years, but still strong.
-Exponentially more hunting pressure both public and private. If this trend continues, I think it will become even harder than it is already to gain permission on private lands.
-Where there is good habitat, the birds thrive virtually everywhere in the state. Best hunting still north of HWY 20 and West of I-35.
- Overall, a very good season, both the dogs and I are ready for a break.View attachment 7312
I’d be curious as to your experience with cripples, choke, shot size…I assume you’re shooting mostly lead? Maybe you’ve offered this info in prior threads, sorry if that’s the case…you’re a treasure-trove of data!

Last edited:
I’d be curious as to your experience with cripples, choke, shot size…I assume you’re shooting mostly lead? Maybe you’ve offered this info in prior threads, sorry if that’s the case…you’re a treasure trove of data!
Cripples - lose very few birds, but it does happen. We lost 8 birds this year total. Most of them being in bigger groups where someone shoots one a ways away from one of the dogs. I almost never lose birds alone, but that's where my golden retriever shines. Lacks a bit in other areas, but does not lose many cripples. If he sees a bird go down, he will find it 99% of the time. I am not the worlds best shot by any stretch, and don't miss many, but don't kill many dead either. I would lose ALOT of birds if I didn't have a great retrieving dog. He flushes plenty of birds, but pairing him with one of my friends good pointers is deadly.

Shot Size/Choke - Shoot improved modified year round. Have played around with chokes before but that seems to be the best for me. I do not spend much time patterning or anything, and this is purely anecdotal. I shoot cheaper Kent FastLead 5/6 shot early season, and then from December on I shoot 5 shot 2 3/4 prairie storm. On public, I shoot the 3" prairie storm 2 shot steel.

Cripples - lose very few birds, but it does happen. We lost 8 birds this year total. Most of them being in bigger groups where someone shoots one a ways away from one of the dogs. I almost never lose birds alone, but that's where my golden retriever shines. Lacks a bit in other areas, but does not lose many cripples. If he sees a bird go down, he will find it 99% of the time. I am not the worlds best shot by any stretch, and don't miss many, but don't kill many dead either. I would lose ALOT of birds if I didn't have a great retrieving dog. He flushes plenty of birds, but pairing him with one of my friends good pointers is deadly.

Shot Size/Choke - Shoot improved modified year round. Have played around with chokes before but that seems to be the best for me. I do not spend much time patterning or anything, and this is purely anecdotal. I shoot cheaper Kent FastLead 5/6 shot early season, and then from December on I shoot 5 shot 2 3/4 prairie storm. On public, I shoot the 3" prairie storm 2 shot steel.
IM…interesting…I need to at least go LM if I go back out to SD…IC works well for me, but I’m gonna go LM if I go, maybe even M….👍👍

He hunted 60 days, full or part…amazing how fast you can kill 3 birds, especially later in the day…
I'm calling bs on this.

I've probably got time stamped pictures of all but a few hunts. I'd have no reason to come on this forum and BS anyone.

I've tracked every hunt in excel for the last 5 years, and could tell you the approximate time and exact location of every bird killed.

I don't claim to be a better hunter than anyone, but have been fortunate enough to be able to spend lots of time knocking on doors the past several years and have a ton of private ground to hunt pretty much whenever I'd like. That's the key, if I didn't have access to a ton of private land I would struggle to shoot a bunch of birds on just public ground.

Yeah Yeah. I have some real estate in Florida I will sell you.
You’re entitled to your opinion, for sure…a good dog or two, a decent amount of private ground, and 60 outings? Hard not to kill North of 100 birds…especially in a year that was devoid of snow, at least where I hunt in SD…there was a crust last trip, 9-13 days ago, but not enough to make walking tough…did spook birds one day, big time…

12 gauge or 20?

I've been doing this my whole hunting career.
I was mostly just referring to it as keeping track of roosters bagged during a season. Not really "collecting" them. But that's fine too if it floats your boat.

I'd rather ride a bike than drive a minivan. I hate those things. We always had one growing up and I vowed to never own one as a adult. I'm sticking with the truck and SUV crowd.

Back