a month away..who's getting excited

bchunter

We are a month away and i can not wait.. did some scouting last weekend and it looked pretty much the same as last year except with better cover. Did see a couple birds and some young ones but nothing to get excited about. With that being said i would not have cared if i saw a single damn bird. Being out in the field got my blood pumping and my motor started. Even now knowing that we are not going to see birds i can not wait to get out there with the family. Scouting last weekend was probably the worst thing i could have done because now i can not sleep at night from being so excited lol. Hell have my stuff is already set in the corner ready to go. With that being said everyone go out and have a good time and hopefully maybe some of us posters will run into each other and say hi and make some new friends. Isn't that what it is all about?

I have got my eye on a rooster here in Ford County, he's mine. Well maybe he's mine, as I know other people have their eye on him. Tough spot for him being the only rooster in the area.:)

I too am excited for this year. I just had a spark set fire last month. Been thinking about it almost everyday for the past month so yeah im ready! Just got to buy a new pair of brush pants for this season and im set!

I wish you all the best of success this year. If I get out at all it will most likely be following the dogs with a camera late in the season. I had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery a month ago and not sure if the sternum can take the impact of a high brass pheasant load. According to the reports birds may be scarce this year but that only makes the ones your dogs find all the more sacred. I am praying for God's grace to allow me to make a full recovery and be full strength next year. Reading about your dogs and your hunts has meant the world to me during my recovery, through your posts, I am riding the roller coaster through your posts, concerned about the future of the greatest upland game bird, frustrated with your shooting or maybe how your dogs are performing and even though I won't be in the field I am excited about the very best time of year to be alive, pheasant season. Y'all have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your adventures on this forum. Be safe, hunt hard and be good to your bird dogs.

I wish you all the best of success this year. If I get out at all it will most likely be following the dogs with a camera late in the season. I had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery a month ago and not sure if the sternum can take the impact of a high brass pheasant load. According to the reports birds may be scarce this year but that only makes the ones your dogs find all the more sacred. I am praying for God's grace to allow me to make a full recovery and be full strength next year. Reading about your dogs and your hunts has meant the world to me during my recovery, through your posts, I am riding the roller coaster through your posts, concerned about the future of the greatest upland game bird, frustrated with your shooting or maybe how your dogs are performing and even though I won't be in the field I am excited about the very best time of year to be alive, pheasant season. Y'all have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your adventures on this forum. Be safe, hunt hard and be good to your bird dogs.

So sorry to hear that. Hope you make a fast recovery and soon be back on the fields! I will keep you in my prayers. :)

I too am excited for this year. I just had a spark set fire last month. Been thinking about it almost everyday for the past month so yeah im ready! Just got to buy a new pair of brush pants for this season and im set!

hey ks bird I bought a new pair at rogers they had them 40% off Columbia brand reg 50bucks gotem fr 30 I jumped on that!! they r nice ones

Chompin' at the bit. Birds may be down but good times with the dog and friends ain't. Probably spend a little more time looking for quail this year. If you see a 40 something guy with a big nose cheesy mustache and one awesome two year old GSP stop and say Hi.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

I took the dogs out for a short run yesterday. It was a little warm, but we got the dogs on to some quail.

That will get you excited.

20131011_145010.jpg

20131011_145036.jpg

Setternut I always see Ace backing Indy in almost all your photos.

Those two remind me of Ricky Bobby and Cal in Talladega Nights.

Ace probably asks Indy; "hey, what if for once you let me win"

Indy; "Ace, you just bury that thought deep,deep down inside and never let it come to the top again".

Shake and bake!!!

:coolpics:

Setternut I always see Ace backing Indy in almost all your photos.

Those two remind me of Ricky Bobby and Cal in Talladega Nights.

Ace probably asks Indy; "hey, what if for once you let me win"

Indy; "Ace, you just bury that thought deep,deep down inside and never let it come to the top again".

Shake and bake!!!

:coolpics:

Indy is faster, runs bigger, and makes sure he is in front, so he finds more birds because he gets there first.

Ace is a better pheasant dog. He has learned how to handle them.

They are a fun pair to hunt behind, as they both back.

Can't wait for bird season. A buddy called me from Montana, where he has been hunting for weeks. Its almost our turn.

Last edited:
I am ready to go! I think I will take Molly out for tame birds one more time before the season starts, just to watch her work. I will probably stay close to home for the opener and wait for the first snow to head out west.
Guys, try to leave me one out there!!

Seems like it's been an extremely long summer and fall at work. I'm looking forward to the cold, the silence, and the open country afield. I could use some feathers in my teeth and some dogs standing steady. Won't mind the sound of my own gun either. It might be shooting skunks, but what the heck!

Yep, and the new hunting atlas has me reviewing the happy hunting grounds.

Getting very excited. Leaving for Montana on the 24th, will spend a week chasing sharpies, huns, and ducks. Will get back to duck season being open at home, then the pheasant opener, going to be a fun year.

I'm not waiting a month either. Leaving for ND on the 24th. Tuned the dog up on some pen raised quail last weekend. Still can't wait to get going in KS.

I've been chasing a covey in the pasture to last two weekends for practice. Last night the dog pointed the covey and the was dynamite on the singles. I dreamt about it all night. Can't hardly wait another month.

Heck yea I'm excited!
I spent the weekend in North Central Kansas and worked the pup on some birds.
This would be J?ger's first official wild pheasant point! :)

CF3BB094-9E51-4276-A6B7-E201378859BB-4162-000007ECB3847AFB_zps9f724bde.jpg

Those pheasants cackling when they flushed absolutely fired him up!

Back