A Hunter's Guide to Dusky Grouse

FredB

Well fellas, you inspired me. I love chasing Duskys so much and have heard so much frustration with some people trying to find them, that I wanted to make and share this with you... my way of attempting to give back to a sport that means so much to me.

I know I'm putting my neck out here... as I am sure there will be many who disagree with my advice. Take it all in with a grain of salt, it's one man's opinion on what has worked for him.

So this is for retrverman and all the others who are feeling the frustration of finding these birds for the first time. I hope this helps a little bit.

www.huntingtherat.com

Good Stuff - some of which I will definitely put to use next year in my quest to master the blue grouse game! :thumbsup:
If a man can learn the ways of elk, deer, pheasants, dove, quail, ducks, geese, ect - then surely there's a way to figure out how to get on duskies fairly consistently too. I will chalk up this very first year I have ever particularly targeted them as merely part of the learning curve. For now, the elusive little devils garner my respect & have issued me a direct challenge of sorts - it's GAME ON! :eek: :D :cheers:

Last edited:
Ha! Well I'm glad it helped out in some small way. I really enjoyed looking back and realizing how stinking tough it was in the beginning to find these birds. It was fun to write and hopefully I'll extend it a bit and get into a little more detail.

So the guys that are finding them pretty consistently, what would you add to the post? I would love to hear some other opinions.

Thanks guys, this is becoming my favorite site because of the positive attitudes of everyone. Great community :)

Nice Fred!!! I just spoke to a good friend up in Gunny and he said he is riding in tomorrow for some Ptarmigan. Said last week while he was up there they ran into a heck of a lot of them and the are nice and white. Told me this time of year you usually can't get up there. I did see snow in his pic's from last week, so I know he is up there in the thin air. Said he would take me next year if I could ride a horse!!! Gonna have to be a draft horse!!!:D

Oh man, ptarmigan. Saw a bunch while scouting for elk, but never put a shotgun to one this year. Gonna do a backcountry weekend for them next year.

I do appreciate it....and I remember my ptarmigan hunts while stationed up in Alaska. Hunted them on snowshoes in Hatchers Pass near Palmer, Alaska with my first lab, Conan, miss you buddy. We had some good times:cool:

Greg

Ptarmigan

Well, him and his wife shot 4 !!

10610726_984435221572658_4531235843972762103_n_zps62a8a860.jpg

Not very good, IMO. Dark and liver-tasting. I used to hunt them years back near Creede. If you can find them, they're super easy to hunt (too easy). They only fly 50-60 yards max, and it's no problem to find/flush them repeatedly. Not much challenge for man nor dog, other than the climb! A little sad, really. I had my fill after a couple years. I did have a grand slam of sorts one day - limit of ptarmigan, 2 blue grouse, and a couple high-flying doves in the same area.

Bacon fixes everything!!!!! They do not see too many humans in their lives! :eek:

Bacon fixes everything!!!!! They do not see too many humans in their lives! :eek:

Indeed it does, and back then I don't think I new that as well as I do now - not sure I ever tried larding them up! ;)

Let's just say compared to the pheasant, dove, several kinds of quail and grouse that I've hunted and consumed, they are my least favorite. This year I'm attempting to add chukar to that list, but no luck so far. I do hear they are very good as table fare.

Back