A different take on Pheasant hunting

greatlawn

Even though the bird numbers are not what we would like I think we are forgetting one thing. Hunting for me is about spending time with family and friends. I just returned from a four day trip to Western KS. We saw a fair amount of birds on public and private. The important thing about the trip was my Dad got to shoot at two covey's of quail. He did not care that he didn't get one just the fact that he was able to see them and shoot at them. We were giving him a hard time about now he has to clean his gun. We have been going on this trip for the last 5 years he doesn't walk as much as he used to he blocks alot and moves the truck. So even if there are no birds I still get to spend 4 days hanging with my DAD.

Greatlawn

few birds

Even though the bird numbers are not what we would like I think we are forgetting one thing. Hunting for me is about spending time with family and friends. I just returned from a four day trip to Western KS. We saw a fair amount of birds on public and private. The important thing about the trip was my Dad got to shoot at two covey's of quail. He did not care that he didn't get one just the fact that he was able to see them and shoot at them. We were giving him a hard time about now he has to clean his gun. We have been going on this trip for the last 5 years he doesn't walk as much as he used to he blocks alot and moves the truck. So even if there are no birds I still get to spend 4 days hanging with my DAD.

Greatlawn

that part of the hunting in wonderful, the bigger part is the rest of us and even more importantly is the kids, the future of hunting, we as a group don't need to go down hill any faster than we already are. we need birds and habitat.

cheers

That is why I am the Youth Coordinator for my local PF Chapter.
Good on you, greatlawn.

I agree with you -- a good hunt isn't just about numbers. My dad is gone, and my boys are all teenager-y now, so hunting with me isn't real high on their list. But we built the foundation when they were younger, and they'll come around.

We had to put down our older Brittany Molly last spring, so it's been kind of bittersweet this year. I've got a 5-year old male that's been slow to come around, and it's his first year hunting solo too. We're getting there though. I've hunted two days so far this year, and haven't fired the gun once. So the two days out weren't a bust -- that's just the way it goes.

I had two groups I used to hunt with, but for various reasons I've given up on them and last few years have been mostly solo. I do miss the camaraderie, but I don't miss the nonsense.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don't think your "different take" is all that different from anybody else's if they really stopped to think about it.:D

In just over a week I'm headed to the desert to look for the pheasant oasis, and Lord knows it's not because I think it's a good place to find birds. I think most of the good folks that frequent this site are doing the same.
:cheers:

What I mean is all you read about is Pheasant numbers. I think sometimes we should stop and look at the big picture. That it is the people that you hunt with that makes the hunt not the birds.

birds/game

What I mean is all you read about is Pheasant numbers. I think sometimes we should stop and look at the big picture. That it is the people that you hunt with that makes the hunt not the birds.

ya, try hunting and having a good time with your friends when there is nothing to hunt, let me know how you do after several years. the big picture is something to hunt, friends help make it enjoyable but first things first

cheers

What is it then for the folks who hunt solo?[/QUOTE) Aberrant social skills? :rolleyes: I like to hunt solo. the decisions easier, when to hunt, when to eat, only mistakes are me or my dog. I like to hunt with same kind of people but a pig and a poke hunting companion??? can sure ruin the hunt! If it's weekend, might make me homicidal! Some day I will start a blog to specify all the stupidity I have seen. Now, as Greatlawn, says I like to take my own, I figured I raised them, to be the bird hunters before they carried a gun. Now that's company!

What is it then for the folks who hunt solo?

95% of my hunting is just me and my dogs. For me "it" is all about the dogs. Good bird numbers mean more opportunities for my dogs to use their skills and abilities. Don't mistake me for "Mr. Magnanimous" I like to kill birds as much or more than the next guy but good dog work is the main goal and good shooting is usually "a hope and a prayer".

Back