4th retrieve jack runs the other way!!! HELP

Remington JACK

1st bird jack did well retrieved to me sits down drops bird at feet. 2nd bird great bird to hand.:D 3rd bird I miss:mad::mad::mad: 4th bird went down jack ran to bird picked up and RAN 20 to 30 yards to light cover and stoped droped and stayed would not retrieve ?:confused: dog was trained with sent and dummys first time for reel birds hen pheasant Jack is 10 month old is this the pup comeing out in jack or is this something to work on??? thanks for any help

10 month old pup-walk away from him briskly and let him ketch up to you with the bird in his mouth. Do not screw the pup up by putting too much pressure on him. Next summer force fetch him if necessary.
________
HERBAL STORE

Last edited:
no biggie

so what your dog is still young the worst thing you can do is put pressure on a young age, not that you are be patient birds birds birds birds keep taking in field sooner or later the light bulb turns on

Pup's being a pup. At 10 months this type of behavior is expected if he has not gone through formal obedience training and force fetch. Now's not the time to begin anything new. I would try to enforce commands he already knows. Pup's getting great exposure to birds but won't be perfect this watch. Evaluate his strengths and weeknesses now and then work them hard in the off-season.

lefty

10 month old pup-walk away from him briskly and let him ketch up to you with the bird in his mouth. Do not screw the pup up by putting too much pressure on him. Next summer force fetch him if necessary.

Very well put. Same thing last year with my dog at about 6 months old with a dummy. It was frustrating for me but it can down to the dog was young and wanted to play. Keep fetching and retreiving fun and dog will get back on track. Start with some short quick retrieves and get the dog really excited. As someone else stated walk from dog so excited to come to you.

I think we all at one time or another have exspected to much too soon out of our dogs at an early age, like the others have said keep putting him on birds and try to make every outing fun for him. Most of all let him be a pup!

I agree with Uncle Buck, Deacon and SOL. They are right I did that with Tony just once and he came up with bird in mouth and walked at heel for a short distance. He was very happy when I stopped knelt down and said "Drop" as I held out my hand.....Bob

You missed...he missed; now your even! :D

I agree with everything said and remember, he is 10 mths old. One question; how close was he when you fired the shot, or for that matter, all the shots? It may have scared him if he was close. Sounds like he has the tools just be patient. Good Luck!

You missed...he missed; now your even! :D

I agree with everything said and remember, he is 10 mths old. One question; how close was he when you fired the shot, or for that matter, all the shots? It may have scared him if he was close. Sounds like he has the tools just be patient. Good Luck!

I got the first 2 then missed:mad: allmost like this one is mine:confused: all shots with in 15 yards of jack. last bird jack ran right to down bird 1st one he did not have to look for was happy about that. I have been out 2 times but no birds (i hunt in MI) then i got flu have not been out. starting to feel good and look forword to getting back out. thanks for the help. if there is a next time for this i will walk as stated. thanks for the help.

thanks for the help

JACK is doing great:D last 5 birds to hand :10sign: for jack !!!!!! friend and #6 wild mi birds for JACK:cheers: thanks to all for the help

Back