3rd Eastern Oregon Trip.

Drew

Had a pretty incredible trip to Oregon. I shared the only picture of the trip from the 2nd day. Lots of birds around and even managed to kill a few chukar. My dog is a 6 year old Griffon and she had a couple of really great breakthroughs this season. She was able to point and hold several large coveys of quail (35-100 birds) for a minute or more. In large coveys the birds are generally more wary and bust quickly, I hope she retains this because it the shot options are incredible. She also has been better at visually picking up birds at the shot. Even when I shot birds out of a covey she really did a great job of spotting the bird on its way down. It made my trip.

Attachments

• IMG_8743.jpeg
    IMG_8743.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
That is sweet! Man! I went to Hell's Canyon for the first time in early Oct. and got into chukar and huns. But, if I had known about the quail on the other side, dang! I hunt blues over here in NM and it has been a 6 on a scale of 1-10 but eastern oregon looks like the tkt. I wish I had ventured over there. Way to go! Is there alot of public land in eastern OR? I went into Baker, OR to take cross the bridge to Hell's Canyon. Man, I drove right by them. I sas a few along the snake on the rd but I was in OR and had no license. I would rather have gone after the valley quail instead of climbing that crazy terrain. Me and the dogs were wore out. Take care

Most of eastern Oregon is public land. We typically have OnX with us and stop when we find public land that looks right and go hunting.

Better than 1/2 the time we find quail and chukar in the same habitat.

Looks like a good haul. I was through the area awhile back when I went out and picked up my dog. Little over 1200 miles from here. Maybe someday

Yes I have onx but I was without a license and went specifically to Hell's Canyon which did not disappoint. But if I knew it was good for quail in OR I would have spent a couple of days there for sure.

Back