2nd weekend reports.

The Lucas area gets hit really hard. I have hunted that area since 1988 and it has some real nice cover and nice farmers that will let you hunt on their land. Too bad Linda's closed as Gene served the coldest beer in Kansas.

Gary
Yea ,We have seen more and more hunters over the years. Thats why we quit going up around stockton. I would like to explore that general area south of I-70. Was linda the cafe there in town?

Yea ,We have seen more and more hunters over the years. Thats why we quit going up around stockton. I would like to explore that general area south of I-70. Was linda the cafe there in town?

Yes, I first went there in 1988 and Linda was the cook and her husband Gene waited on you. Very nice people and super cold beer. He had old 16 oz bud glasses with super thick base and the last time I was in there 2 years ago only charged 1.50 for a bud draw.

Gary:cheers:

We have been there a few times over the years. Had a taco salad and a cold one the last time if I remember correctly. We went to a brew pub in Sylvan Grove two years ago that was really good. The one I miss is the ribeye at the old duck blind tavern in Stockton.

Hunted NC on Friday & Saturday. All private ground with 4 guys and 1 dog. Wind on Friday made things a bit more interesting. Little more than a half day hunt we put up 3 nice coveys (15+ each) and a lone rooster. Finished the day with 8 quail and that lone rooster.

Saturday, started the morning at what has become as close to a honey hole as possible over the last few years. Not 60 seconds into the hunt, 1 rooster in the bag. Things were looking up...Didn't see another bird the rest of that morning until a small covey busted wild 30 yards from the trucks. Put up two more nice coveys in the afternoon and pulled a couple singles out. Only saw 1 hen over the 2 days...

Nice weekend to be out and great memories made as usual. Will be back out chasing quail this weekend and again between Christmas and New Years.

Wind on Friday was brutal. We made up for it on Saturday and Sunday. This was my first mixed bag. We had a great time bouncing back and forth between quail and pheasant.

3 guys and 1 dog.
6 pheasants, 5 Quail in 2 1/4 days. Could have used more dog power!

chtIAJ5l.jpg

The wind Friday was very challenging. We busted 10 coveys and only killed 10 quail and 1 pheasant. Saturday was much better, busted 8 coveys and killed 21 quail and 4 pheasants. Great to see the quail numbers improving, but the pheasants just can't seem to get back. Wish there was a way to restore the numbers.

Hunted My ground in Smith county with some friend..its spotty but birds hit a honey hole of about 40-50 pheasants they just flushed ahead..quail are around too...didn't hunt too hard. but numbers are there if you work hard..shot 2 roosters and 3 quail..also didn't have a dog

Supposed to be very windy today and Tuesday so I will drive to the Promised Land on Tuesday to start hunting on Wednesday. Should have most of the area I hunt to myself during the work week. This retirement thing is OK.

I can't believe you guys complain about wind and pheasant hunting. I will take a windy day over a calm day anytime. We really have not had a terribly windy day out here in months.

Headed that way too. Glad to see they are getting some rain. Should make for better scent conditions. Good luck!

I was able to get 2 quail in SC KS yesterday. Jumped up 4 singles and couldn't shoot at the other 2. My first of the year on my first outing of the season. Today i didn't see any with all the wind.

2ND weekend reports

Bill,

I know you have a guilty conscience out there hunting while the rest of us
Are slaving away. But just remember, somebody has to do it. When you retire you open up a spot for somebody else to work. So you are doing you civic duty. And with grain storage at a premium you are helping keep those bandits from eating the grain. Win. Win. Win.

Did you get the boy a pretty little lab pup yet?

Bill,

I know you have a guilty conscience out there hunting while the rest of us
Are slaving away. But just remember, somebody has to do it. When you retire you open up a spot for somebody else to work. So you are doing you civic duty. And with grain storage at a premium you are helping keep those bandits from eating the grain. Win. Win. Win.

Did you get the boy a pretty little lab pup yet?

Yes, my conscience really bothers me that I am out here all by myself this week. At least I try to help out the local farmers by removing those pesky roosters. They eat lots of corn:) Sure enjoy this cooler weather but unfortunately, I am still solo. No pup yet. My 12 yo partner is in school and I cannot take him out of school again for pheasant hunting. Good luck Steve and to all our other Kansas pheasant hunters too. Hope you had a chance to bring a few birds home this season with your new Browning.

Did the Eagle pick their new downtown office location yet?

Thankfully, I don't write for the Eagle. My publisher actually enjoys reading my hunting columns so he's good with me dashing off. And my editor, she's good with it too as long as I have a story to tell.

I hunted 27 different WIHA properties in C & NC Kansas from Thanksgiving through Sunday and saw at least 1 game bird in every field for 4 days. I'm not saying I hunted every field I passed, but it was about 2/3 fields I had experience with and 1/3 new fields. All quality habitat (I passed more than a few stinkers, or wall to wall winter wheat). Some fields it was just a hen or two, or a scattered few quail, some fields it was big numbers of pheasants. One morning I shot my limit in the first 10 minutes. ...another I didn't get my first rooster until 2pm.

Overall I shot 12 roosters and 19 quail over 4 days. That said, the last 2 years have been pretty good too. We could really use a little moisture right now. Scent conditions are tough on the dogs right now. After the dew burns off it's just dusty noses the rest of the day.

Headed to some really good private ground in the NC part of the state in the morning. Last time we hunted it we saw 6 coveys in 4 hours and knocked down a couple of roosters as well. Hopefully there are as many quail there this year, but from the reports I've read I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Back