28 guage

Good point Goose, and that's something that hasn't been brought up on this thread. It takes a perfectly placed shot with a 28, or a 2 3/4 20 for that matter. And no Goose you have to pass on the 35 yd. shots with 20's and 28's. 16's would be iffy. I lost a pseudo rooster yesterday. 35 yds. crossing right to left. 20 ga. 2 3/4. I know it was well placed shot cause.. well... it was me shooting..:)
I shot a L to R crosser the other day that was all of 50 yards…got out of a dry creekbed that meandered through picked corn…got out ahead of it with my beretta AL 391 20 gauge, IC….using Remington XLR 2.75” #5 lead, 1220 fps…I was shocked when a poof of feathers filled the air, and the bird dropped from 5-6’, kind of a low flyer…he hit at the base of the road ditch…I watched closely, he didn’t run…the first dog to reach it had no chase, no tussle…couldn’t believe it. I’d bet the gun I was shooting that it was closer to 55 than 45 yards. Vitals were exposed…important point. It was a long enough shot that I knew I had to lead it ALOT, which I did…can’t recall if I shot twice…might have. I’ve seen poofs of feathers on close shots…10, 15, maybe 20 yards…but never at 50, +/-! It was crazy. The bird flushed at 35+ yards and flew away from me at a right angle…I was slow to the mount, wasn’t sure if I was gonna shoot…I did…I‘m sure in that few seconds the bird got another 15 yards further away…

Last edited:
Good point Goose, and that's something that hasn't been brought up on this thread. It takes a perfectly placed shot with a 28, or a 2 3/4 20 for that matter. And no Goose you have to pass on the 35 yd. shots with 20's and 28's. 16's would be iffy. I lost a pseudo rooster yesterday. 35 yds. crossing right to left. 20 ga. 2 3/4. I know it was well placed shot cause.. well... it was me shooting..:)
Haha.Im thinking the 28 in December behind a lab, may not be a great idea.I don't get many shots inside 30 yards.If there is wind, I always use a 12.

I shot a L to R crosser the other day that was all of 50 yards…got out of a dry creekbed that meandered through picked corn…got out ahead of it with my beretta AL 391 20 gauge, IC….using Remington XLR 2.75” #5 lead, 1220 fps…I was shocked when a poof of feathers filled the air, and the bird dropped from 5-6’, kind of a low flyer…he hit at the base of the road ditch…I watched closely, he didn’t run…the first dog to reach it had no chase, no tussle…couldn’t believe it. I’d bet the gun I was shooting that it was closer to 55 than 45 yards. Vitals were exposed…important point. It was a long enough shot that I knew I had to lead it ALOT, which I did…can’t recall if I shot twice…might have. I’ve seen poofs of feathers on close shots…10, 15, maybe 20 yards…but never at 50, +/-! It was crazy. The bird flushed at 35+ yards and flew away from me at a right angle…I was slow to the mount, wasn’t sure if I was gonna shoot…I did…I‘m sure in that few seconds the bird got another 15 yards further away…
Great shot! Long shots with a 20 are difficult. A 28 feels like a pea shooter,but is nice to carry.

Great shot! Long shots with a 20 are difficult. A 28 feels like a pea shooter,but is nice to carry.
I had a Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge…too whippy, sold it…the beretta AL 391 is more balanced for me…shot lots of late season birds with it, especially 20+ years ago when I had some 2.75” hevi shot #6’s…

I had a Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge…too whippy, sold it…the beretta AL 391 is more balanced for me…shot lots of late season birds with it, especially 20+ years ago when I had some 2.75” hevi shot #6’s…
My cousin bought a Benelli 12 guage last year.My nephew also has a Benelli. I wanted them to get Remington guns.

I’ll ask all the pheasant and quail I’ve shot if they’re embarrassed they were shot by a “brokeback” dude with a boyfriend. 3/4oz of 7’s in the right barrel and 13/16oz of 6’s in the left early season and 13/16oz of 6’s in both barrels later in the year. I only shoot birds my dog points so I’m not shooting much past 25ish yards and if a bird doesn’t go down, that’s on me.

You and your buddy should look up the definition of “projection” as it relates to psychology…

Nah bro. We're both all about that bearded clam.

I still havnt brought one down with the 28. Had to go to the 12, so my dog wouldn't give me the stink eye.Did take a 35 yard passing shot with the 28.I drew feathers, but he flew off well.I should have fired the other barrel.
Goose,

I am interested in your experience with the 28 as I have been tossing around getting one. My primary gun is either an O/U 16b shooting a 1oz #6 or a SxS 12b also shooting a 1oz #6. I have had great success over the years with these loads. Oh, and BTW, they are paper 2 1/2" loads from RST. I never feel under gunned. The 16 is choked LM and LF and my SxS is an old London gun that is LM and FULL.

Reactions: Kre
Goose,

I am interested in your experience with the 28 as I have been tossing around getting one. My primary gun is either an O/U 16b shooting a 1oz #6 or a SxS 12b also shooting a 1oz #6. I have had great success over the years with these loads. Oh, and BTW, they are paper 2 1/2" loads from RST. I never feel under gunned. The 16 is choked LM and LF and my SxS is an old London gun that is LM and FULL.
I love the weight. I've only shot at 2 birds. I'm going to try it again this season, but I don't think it's a goid choice for late season.Maybe when it snows.You have to be close with a 28.I would say inside of 30 yards. I bought a stack barrel Italian gun.Very light,beautiful gun.I think it's going to be a close in flush gun.

I love the weight. I've only shot at 2 birds. I'm going to try it again this season, but I don't think it's a goid choice for late season.Maybe when it snows.You have to be close with a 28.I would say inside of 30 yards. I bought a stack barrel Italian gun.Very light,beautiful gun.I think it's going to be a close in flush gun.
With all the guns you constantly list off that you have, must be quite the collection!

With all the guns you constantly list off that you have, must be quite the collection!
Yes,but I don't have a 410. Or a 10 or 8. I have one gun that is money, and the rest are streaky. I like a 12 for late season.I like the weight of a 28,but its not a lot of fire power.

Lost 2 today with the 28.I hate loosing birds. Not used to a small gun,but like yhe weight.Limited range. Did get a Hungarian.

Back