28 guage

Ammoseek is the place to look…just found Winchester super x #5 lead for $14.87/box…the load referenced in prior post by b & p for $12.99….ammoseek is an aggregator of online retailers

With the amount of travel costs and other costs to be in pheasant country I’ve always looked at the cost of good shells as a rounding error damn near in the grand scheme of things. If cheap shells are $14 and good shells are $20 that is $6 per box. In reality in 5 or 10 days of hunting how many boxes are you going to go through? Hell what if you hunt 30 days. That is 90 birds. If you shot 50% success that is less than 8 boxes for those 30 days or $48. If $48 is gonna break you probably shouldn’t be out hunting. Just the way I’ve always looked at it. Now saying that I LOVE a deal as much and probably more than most. Typically october and November not the time to find that on upland shells. I have bought copper and nickle plated 5’s and 6’s in three different gauges(12,16,20) in 2023 from late spring through summer in gauge appropriate lead levels for between $14 and $18 and that would include shipping. When the price is right 1-2 cases get ordered to be put in inventory. Thought I had a high for my lifetime but since trips have become longer I have had to add some. 🤣🤣

An old USAF crewmate and hunting buddy, now passed on, used to say "a $30,000 pickup, a $1500 O/U shotgun, a $500 bird dog and you're worried about a $8 box of ammo?"

Now obviously that was a long time ago as you can see by the prices. The gist of it remains true however.

Ive always said the same thing. Although i load all of my own ammo these days, i still want the best shell going downrange when hunting most times. If I didn't load them, i would have no trouble spending $20-30 for premium lead ammo. Its the cheapest part of hunting.

Scheels has a few nice loads on black friday right now, not sure i saw much for 28ga but they have 16ga federal pheasant high velocity for 12.99. and various 20s and 12s for under $15. I saw upland steel 12s and 20s for $10.99.

Ive always said the same thing. Although i load all of my own ammo these days, i still want the best shell going downrange when hunting most times. If I didn't load them, i would have no trouble spending $20-30 for premium lead ammo. Its the cheapest part of hunting.

Scheels has a few nice loads on black friday right now, not sure i saw much for 28ga but they have 16ga federal pheasant high velocity for 12.99. and various 20s and 12s for under $15. I saw upland steel 12s and 20s for $10.99.
Great!

Mine is IC/M in SxS. I don't use it often for pheasants but I don't see any reduction in kill rate or distance I am able to shoot from with it. I shoot 7/8th (I think) #5 shot. I just prefer my O/U with the narrower sight line.

The 28 has 30" barrel and the 20ga has 28". Might have something to do with it too.

Last edited:
Mine is IC/M in SxS. I don't use it often for pheasants but I don't see any reduction in kill rate or distance I am able to shoot form with it. I shoot 7/8th (I think) #5 shot. I just prefer my O/U with the narrower sight line.

The 28 has 30" barrel and the 20ga has 28". Might have something to do with it too.
I have a Ithaca 20, sxs ,26 inch that I like.Made in 1970. I use it some,mainly early, but I got invited to hunt a ranch by Plentywood, and I will put an ass whipping on those fancy guys.

I have a Ithaca 20, sxs ,26 inch that I like.Made in 1970. I use it some,mainly early, but I got invited to hunt a ranch by Plentywood, and I will put an ass whipping on those fancy guys.
Mine is a Renato Gamba Principessa from the 80s I believe. Not super fancy but well made gun with nice wood and bluing. Don't think it was ever shot much before I acquired it. Still a little stiff and not enough nicks and scratches. It's 28" not 30" and my 20ga is 26".

My Benelli ultra light 12 gauge weighs 6 lbs…deadly! I shoot 1.25 oz #5 lead @ 1200 fps. I was shooting 16 gauge 1.125 oz #5 lead @ 1300 fps Sunday and Monday am…killing just fine, as was my 20
Gauge 1 oz #5 lead @ 1220 fps. Same loads for my 28 gauge…suspect that would work ok too. As I age I like lighter guns that come up quick and smooth…that fit me well! I can discern a 1/2 lb difference in weight, and 12-24 oz is major for me. 7+ lb guns are history for me….

Back