2023 Season

100% agree. I laugh every time a article in Outdoor News or PF's magazine/podcast telling everyone late season is the time to go with no pressure
We hunted Wednesday and Thursday this week out west along the border. Ran into multiple groups hunting each day and had to pass on multiple fields that were occupied. The hotel was 1/2 full of hunters as well (On a Wednesday night!). Bring on some snow, please!

I have been experiencing my slowest season in SE Minnesota. I have lived her for 5 years. Compared to previous seasons, I am flushing very few birds.

Last evening, I got out for the golden hour on a piece of public land.

My dog, Darby, did an outstanding job. We flushed 3 hens and one rooster that I shot.

It’s been a solid year for me and my two dogs. That being said, I know this is public land hunting, but this year has been frustrating with other hunters coming in late and hunting spots I get to early. I’m a one man show with two dogs, so I never hunt anything larger than 200 acres. Had a guy on Thursday park the truck about 75 yards from where I was extremely visible, let out his dog and proceed to shoot a rooster that got up and started flying in my direction. Pretty comical actually, never seen a guy peel out faster. Good luck to those who don’t partake in this kind of behavior the last few weeks! IMG_4499.jpeg

It’s been a solid year for me and my two dogs. That being said, I know this is public land hunting, but this year has been frustrating with other hunters coming in late and hunting spots I get to early. I’m a one man show with two dogs, so I never hunt anything larger than 200 acres. Had a guy on Thursday park the truck about 75 yards from where I was extremely visible, let out his dog and proceed to shoot a rooster that got up and started flying in my direction. Pretty comical actually, never seen a guy peel out faster. Good luck to those who don’t partake in this kind of behavior the last few weeks! View attachment 6832
Beautiful Griffs!

Anyone else brave the wind today? I left the house at 7 and thought I was in for a beautiful day, only to get walloped by 30mph sustained winds with 45mph gusts. We did get two young roosters in the first 25 minutes though! Had a chance at my limit on spot #2 but I was so flabbergasted that the dog found a bird in those conditions that I whiffed the first shot. By the time I realized I’d even fired my gun that bird was 75 yards down wind. E scouted and went to an area I’ve never been, and much closer to home than the rest of my outings this year. Overall a very good day.

I braved the wind Saturday. It was a pretty miserable day conditions wise. First spot I whiffed on a very shootable bird because I was fumbling with my safety. I was wearing thicker gloves than usual because of the wind and couldn't feel my safety. He got out there a little far and I was rushing my shot after that. Those gloves came off after that ordeal. Got my first bird of the day in the evening in some cattails so it wasn't a total wash.

Sunday ended up with a pair of birds but could have been my limit had I found one I dropped in some thick cattails. Neither me or the dog could find it. It was a long shot so I think he still had his legs under him and evaded us. All in all a decent day.

Monday morning before heading home I missed my only chance at a bird. A pair got up right into the sun and I couldn't tell if either was a rooster. He finally cackled as he banked around a tree and out of sight, basically laughing at me haha

I braved the wind Saturday. It was a pretty miserable day conditions wise. First spot I whiffed on a very shootable bird because I was fumbling with my safety. I was wearing thicker gloves than usual because of the wind and couldn't feel my safety.
Munster I can relate to everything in your post! The only thing that ever gets cold for me upland hunting is my hands, but that plays havoc on my ability to shoot pheasants. Gloves get in the way, but unfortunately I can't go without. I'm still looking for a solution to this. If it's just cold I'm fine. If it's just windy I'm fine, but when it's cold AND windy I really struggle. Numb fingers make safeties and triggers difficult. I had a guys weekend so was at a game farm in WI saturday. It was cold, windy, and raining/snowing out. Needless to say I struggled. I also have had two days this year when hunting the golden hour, and the sun was low and right in my eyes, makes seeing colors on a bird very difficult! I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend chasing wild roosters. Even one weekend off and I really miss it! Thanks for the report.

Munster I can relate to everything in your post! The only thing that ever gets cold for me upland hunting is my hands, but that plays havoc on my ability to shoot pheasants. Gloves get in the way, but unfortunately I can't go without. I'm still looking for a solution to this....

Here is a solution that I have found:

Pick up some of the disposable handwarmers, or better yet the toe warmers (the ones with the adhesive).

Using athletic tape, I secure the hand/toe warmers to the inside of my wrists.

There are blood vessels near the surface at the wrist. The blood flowing by the warmers helps keep the fingers from going numb and your entire body will feel warmer.

Here is a solution that I have found:

Pick up some of the disposable handwarmers, or better yet the toe warmers (the ones with the adhesive).

Using athletic tape, I secure the hand/toe warmers to the inside of my wrists.

There are blood vessels near the surface at the wrist. The blood flowing by the warmers helps keep the fingers from going numb and your entire body will feel warmer.
Warmers on the wrists...doesn't that burn the skin? Or are they on top of long underwear? I put double packets in the heavy gloves on my left hand. On the right, I found heated glove liners work well; they are very thin and require an over glove. Found stretch gloves at Menards that work over the liner.

Maybe someone will invent a heated gun stock...

Put me in the camp of the glove avoider too. I can do without them down to about freezing temps. I prefer the feel of the gun bare handed and can operate it better.

Once it drops to below freezing down to about 20 degrees, I use a really cheap thin pair of fabric gloves. They are useless in the rain or snow though, they soak up moisture.

Below about 20 degrees I have a pair of Cabela's windstopper gloves with a specialized trigger finger (pictured). They are about 10 years old and I'm not sure if they're still made anymore, but they work well. They have rubber palms for grip.

If its around 0 degrees, I use both. I put the thin pair on first and then the wind stoppers. Pretty rare that we get such a cold day here during the season though. I can recall a few near the very end of the season over the years.

There was one guy in my deer camp many years ago who literally NEVER wore any gloves. I can remember leaving camp with him when it was single digits with the wind howling and he still didn't use any. I asked him once "no gloves?" and he responded "what for?"

Attachments

• hunting gloves.jpg
    hunting gloves.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
Warmers on the wrists...doesn't that burn the skin? Or are they on top of long underwear? I put double packets in the heavy gloves on my left hand. On the right, I found heated glove liners work well; they are very thin and require an over glove. Found stretch gloves at Menards that work over the liner.

Maybe someone will invent a heated gun stock...

I have done this often, I do not recall any burnt skin.

Been saying it for quite a while now.... spend the money on the sitka mountain gloves with windstopper.... thin. Just enough insulation, best part no wind... great grip on the gun. I may just be use to them now when shooting but don't seem to bother me much except for when reloading I always find myself taking right glove off even tho I'm sure it can be done without. ..... little steep in price but worth it. They don't seem like much but once get moving hands are fine

I am the opposite of most apparently. I rarely hunt without gloves, even in warm weather. I suppose I got used to wearing them in the grouse woods as I like the protection and ability to push brambles and trees out of the way without getting stabbed. I also find my hands get very sweaty with any activity and I like the grip gloves provide. I have a few pair of regular Mechanix thin work gloves that I really like for down to about 20-25 degrees. Below that and I have to use thicker gloves, which I do not like doing. I have a pair of leather Carhartt gloves that have no insulation other than being leather. Those have been a good intermediary, but if completely dry I cannot operate my phone to check property boundaries without removing them. Once they get a little steamy they work on my phone screen fine. Once broken in, leather gloves are like a good pair of leather boots. Fits like a glove?

I usually wear a pair of First Lite wool, fingerless gloves when it gets to low 40s and below. Like Bob said, it's only when it's windy and cold that my fingertips suffer. Sunday was the same temp as Saturday, but no wind and I was just fine.

Gim it's funny you mention no gloves, my dad is that guy. He kept joking all weekend that I need to toughen my hands up, I had to remind him he's in his 60s and probably has no feeling in his hands anymore since he was a plumber for 30 years haha

I still often de-ice my ice fishing holes with my bare hands. Same with reaching into a minnow bucket.

I wore no gloves until a year or two ago. I would argue the opposite, extremities get more sensitive to cold (or heat) as you age.

Now I do wear gloves when it is below 20F. I do not like gloves with too much elastic in the fingers ... I find if they squeeze at all ... this makes your fingers colder because it restricts circulation.

Light jersey/fleece type glove with non-slip interior and just tight enough not to slip around. Tough find.

One hand in a pocket and change hands enough to keep the hand warm enough to function is still my preferred method when temps are approaching zero or below.

I do not have a winter parka either (for anytime). Fleece top and a good vest. Wear a good warm hat and good socks on good boots. All one needs. Maybe bibs to keep dry and warm ice fishing.

Blue jeans are all I ever wear hunting upland. Used to wear pants with Cordura facing but that has stopped. The only time jeans do not work is in a thistle patch.

Last edited:
I hate wearing gloves. I rely on hand warmers when deer hunting. Work well. The other day out pheasant hunting I put hand warmers in the palm of some thin gloves. Not perfect but seemed to work ok. Haven’t been out waterfowling when it’s been that cold in years but I would probably rely on hand warmers for that too.

Blue jeans are all I ever wear hunting upland.
What about when there's deep snow on the ground. Your jeans will get soaked from the knee down.

I have normal chaps for hunting without measurable snow, but once there's some on the ground I switch to a more waterproof-type pair of pants.

I hunted yesterday afternoon for a while. It was hot. Too hot. I was gonna go today, but the rain altered those plans. After 3 spots the dog was spent and so was I. The first two spots did not produce a single freaking bird. Luckily the last spot had 13 birds, 6 of which were roosters. I was able to bag 2 of them. The dog had to chase and track down a cripple on the second one and she was gone for a good 10 minutes before she came back with it, panting hard. Its getting dry out there again. Glad to have rain in the forecast today.

I also raised 2 deer, a coyote, and a feral cat. No shots at the yote or cat, too far.

Attachments

• 12-14-23 rooster.jpg
    12-14-23 rooster.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 9
Back