2023 Season

MN the best state ? Not so sure, but I like living where I do ... I have killed quite a few turkeys, pheasants, grouse, woodcock, and waterfowl within 15 minutes to an hour from 4+ million people. Quite a few on public land no less.

Solid educational system, but not all districts are equal.

MN nice is somewhat of a misnomer. I would say MN has more passive-aggressive people per percentage of the population than anywhere in the USA. Highly educated and very liberal (regardless of wealth) compared to most of the USA.

I will end this by saying only Minnesotan's think they live in the best state. Very few people from other states have Minnesota envy. Except those living in Iowa ?? o_O

Took this thread on a nice tangent ... :unsure:;)

Of Minnesota ?

NW MN is decent hunting for deer, grouse (ruff and sharptail), and waterfowl. Some really good fishing lakes.

What makes that area somewhat special by MN standards is less people live there and hunt there. Many people from the Twin Cities metro (4 million plus people) often drive through the area but do not stop ... they are headed to Canada, North Dakota, or Montana depending on the species.

There is A LOT of public land in that part of MN. Huge tracts.

Red Lake and Lake of the Woods are the main exceptions. Red Lake is extremely busy for walleye ... especially May and early ice. Lake of the Woods is busy.

Again though many drive on through to Devils Lake in ND or into Manitoba ....
I was up near Rousseau. Saw some turkey, no water, no grouse.

Turkeys are moving north at a pretty good clip.
I have 40 heavily wooded acres about 30 miles south of Grand Rapids and I see turkeys all the time on our trail cams. It's crazy they can survive up there with wolves and all the other predators there.

I have 40 heavily wooded acres about 30 miles south of Grand Rapids and I see turkeys all the time on our trail cams. It's crazy they can survive up there with wolves and all the other predators there.
Been seeing quite a few more moose up in that area as well. I dont know if the wolves are pushing them further south - but up near Big Fork i have never seen so many signs of wolves. Every night they were firing off while we camped along the river.

Been seeing quite a few more moose up in that area as well. I dont know if the wolves are pushing them further south - but up near Big Fork i have never seen so many signs of wolves. Every night they were firing off while we camped along the river.
Yeah we see alot of wolves at our place. I've personally seen 3 wolves while up there. A lone wolf walked by while sitting in my deer stand about 5 years ago and 4 years ago we had a pair of wolves run up about 50 yards from us standing right outside our cabin.

Not to mention catching them on our trail cams as well.

We've never seen a moose though. Just a track one year. We just had some logging done so a lot more mud than usual and walking around grouse hunting I saw the biggest deer track in my life. If it wasn't a moose it would have been a world record deer.

We got a pheasant tonight in what I call my metro area spot. It was a long going away shot. The bird dropped in a marsh and we couldn't find him. I told myself I'm done hunting beyond looking for this bird. I kept my gun closed as I've seen lightly hit birds reflush. I circled this area for the last 20 minutes of shooting and no trace. I broke my gun and unloaded. I continued waking the area for 10 minutes after sunset. Wouldn't you know it Skye dissapeared. Five minutes later I saw her wake in the cattails coming my way and she had a very alive bird in her mouth missing most of his tail feathers. She saved my bacon once again. 20231018_183320.jpg

We got a pheasant tonight in what I call my metro area spot. It was a long going away shot. The bird dropped in a marsh and we couldn't find him. I told myself I'm done hunting beyond looking for this bird. I kept my gun closed as I've seen lightly hit birds reflush. I circled this area for the last 20 minutes of shooting and no trace. I broke my gun and unloaded. I continued waking the area for 10 minutes after sunset. Wouldn't you know it Skye dissapeared. Five minutes later I saw her wake in the cattails coming my way and she had a very alive bird in her mouth missing most of his tail feathers. She saved my bacon once again. View attachment 6285
Nothing like a Golden to track down a cripple!!

We got a pheasant tonight in what I call my metro area spot. It was a long going away shot. The bird dropped in a marsh and we couldn't find him. I told myself I'm done hunting beyond looking for this bird. I kept my gun closed as I've seen lightly hit birds reflush. I circled this area for the last 20 minutes of shooting and no trace. I broke my gun and unloaded. I continued waking the area for 10 minutes after sunset. Wouldn't you know it Skye dissapeared. Five minutes later I saw her wake in the cattails coming my way and she had a very alive bird in her mouth missing most of his tail feathers. She saved my bacon once again. View attachment 6285
Worth the price of admisson!

My Britt had a wild hair day. Not holding all his points. Son and I did kill 3 that he did hold on. Saw 8’roosters and 3 hens in an uncommon area marked poor on the map. Early season (maybe like Bob) choosing to hunt more and drive a lot less. Some days you are just lucky crossing paths with them. I will take luck

Wow, I tried a new spot today with a buddy, and I actually got a limit. The first bird I kind of fumbled the safety which is a first for me. He was a runner but Roxy the 2 year old got him. With a cripple she sometimes pins them to the ground and waits for you. The second bird we caught out in some nice light grass, I'm guessing he was enjoying the sun and maybe drying his feathers. I made a clean first shot on him which is always nice. My buddy got a bird and then I left to scout for tomorrow and take the dogs swimming to wash the prairie dust off them. What a great day, I'll never forget it.
20231019_215246.jpg

Attachments

• 20231019_124155.jpg
    20231019_124155.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Those are tough shots even at medium distances…with #5 lead…it’s hard to resist, I get that…
You're exactly right. I wish I was better at estimating yards in my head. When I see a bird I don't think numbers I think "close, medium, far, too far." I'm not really a numbers guy. That being said I've never seen myself as trigger happy. I think the thing that has helped me the most with a quick mental determination of effective shot distance is simple trigger time. Both at the clays range and in the hunting fields and marshes.

Back to MN pheasant hunting. I got out with a buddy at a spot I really love. Not a big spot, not small, just right. Pretty much right off the bat the dog hit a scent nose down on the ground. I hoofed it behind her and sure enough, a nice flush and I got him with the 2nd barrel. She was on him but I was still running up to the drop zone, just don't trust those rascally Rudys. Roxy had him pinned and he was flapping wings. I damn near stepped on another rooster and swung hard to my left but it took me a second to get the damn safety off and I took one shot and missed so held off. I would have been done in about 5 minutes of hunting. Meanwhile when the gun went bang the 1st rooster was dropped by the dog and ran off!!!! Luckily two minutes later Roxy got him for good. WHEW!!! Saw about 10 other roosters and equal hens on this property. Weather got hot so I scouted and took the dogs back to the cabin. I hunted a terrible spot the last 45 minutes of the day. Heard about 6 different roosters crowing there at sunset. It's just a weird piece and I can't ever get a flush there but I hunt it once a year anyways. Off again in the morning to give 'er hell.

Now I'm back at the cabin sitting in the man cave. I was a little late this morning and got to my spot at 10 to. Already loaded up with trucks so I gave a friendly wave and drove on. Lots and lots of hunters out. That can be seen as a negative but thinking of it now I'm glad so many people in this world enjoy pheasant hunting. Several times I passed spots with young kids out with their dads and I love that. I love seeing all the different dogs too. Anyways, I ultimately took the only spot I saw open and started hunting just before 930. I saw some birds pretty quick, missed one. After hunting a good bit and nothing to show, I decided to go all in and make this a big walk. I was conscious of the dogs and Temps creeping up to 60 and bright sun. Hunting two Goldens, the wind saved me. I hunted slow as the dogs would allow, frequent breaks, lots of water for the pooches. And I picked the lightest grass I could find. This was essentialy hunting flushers in pointer country. It was glorious. The dogs both got on a hot scent and it was off to the races. A little bit of pandemonium but I got both on the same page and managed to knock down my first rooster of the day. Granted he was lightly hit due to me, but the young dog carries her weight and tracked him down. If I get one rooster it is always a great day. What happened next I probably shouldn't relate. I backtracked a bit and a minute later a rooster flushed 5 yards away cackling and flying straight up like a hot air balloon. I straight up whiffed with both barrels. I've had a lot of great misses in my short hunting career, but this one takes the cake🤯. I really think that bird was taking a nap and I about stepped on his head. I started the long walk back, angry at myself for letting the dogs down. Good thing they're eternal optimists. It wasn't a short while later Skye, the older dog(almost 8) went full on birdy. I'm a slow learner, but I knew she was all business with her nose to the ground and working at a pace faster than any rooster could run. Suddenly a mature rooster exploded from the short grass hell bent for leather, flying low and fast. I don't think I could have looked her in the face if I hadn't dropped him. Thankfully I pointed true and she made a quick retrieve. I don't think there's any better feeling in the world than walking out of the field with a heavy sag in your game bag, gun empty and action open, happy dog walking lightly by your side. I know the golden hour is best, and so are corn edges. But I was lucky today and got 2 roosters midday in very light grass a long ways from any ag fields. I can't wait to go again.

Back