2022 Season

it'll be a zoo for sure, we hunted opener a few years ago with wet snow on the ground and have hunted openers when the temps hit the 80's, sill fun to get the pups out

Just an update for my area for opener. I drove around having my morning coffee and as usual all public areas had multiple vehicles in almost all parking areas. At 9, I did find one small area that no one was at, I walked it and did not see a bird.
On my way home around 10, I drove past a large wpa and saw someone getting in the only truck in an open parking area. I stopped and they said they saw 3 roosters and had no shots. They were working a young springer and just giving her experience and had to head home. So I hit it up, put up 3 hens and 4 roosters in 40 minutes. I got the first 2 roosters put up, and put up the other two on the way back to the truck. Very happy with dog work and for the day!
I would post a pic but both birds fell in almost waterless potholes, so weren’t photo friendly. Muddy wet birds aren’t photogenic!

Last edited:
We also got a late start 10am) because of prior commitments. I pulled into a public area as 5 guys in their 20s along with 3 dogs were coming out empty handed. After talking they told me they were going to rest and eat at the parking lot before going to their next spot. It was a nice spot to let our 12 year old lab stretch her legs so I got her out of the box and headed into the field. 2 blocks later the vest was full and we had to return to the truck. The guys who just went through there saw it all. First thing out their mouth was “how did you know they were there?” My response? At 12 she been playing the game a long time.

Sc mn . Didn't get out Saturday am. Hunted the evening. Shot 1, seen multiple birds that's were small and darker then tan but no cackles so let em go .... Lotta birds sailing out of corn heading deep into the lake.... close as they could to water . Took the boy out this am. Walked for about hr and a half and were heading back to the car and ended up jumping 1. Then another. Then 3 more. Then another single. Roosters all over. Was a fun morning. First I've seen a 8 yr old do the Jefferson dance In pheasant fields... Lotta high fives and hugs and we were back to the car with 2.20221016_102311.jpg

Fantastic weather for Opener 2022!

The corn made it tough for my group but we still managed to find some roosters, mostly young birds. We missed a couple easier shots on older looking roosters.

Overall, the ratios that were flushed while hunting was 13 Roosters to 4 Hens.

Highlights of the weekend was when my pup retrieved three roosters to my hand. He's never retrieved birds to my hand so this was a success so I'm hoping it continues!

It was a zoo for sure, but I have learned to expect that on opener and just roll with it. Only found one field (worth hunting) where we could hunt alone.

Corn and crowds made it tough. Saw mostly hens Saturday but scratched out a 1/2 limit for the group. Sunday was much more cooperative - quick limit on some good public ground.

Bird numbers look good overall. I don't mind a tough opener with all the corn up - It leaves more birds for the rest of the season after the 'one and done' folks have had their weekend.

It leaves more birds for the rest of the season after the 'one and done' folks have had their weekend.
Oh yes. Head out there in December when the bag limit goes to 3 and you'll see a fraction of the hunters you see in October.

Felt squirrelish last week and bought a 28 ga for the opener. Cleaned it, oiled it, and, without having fired a shot, made my way to southwest MN. Saw fewer birds than last year (which was also noticeably down from previous years), especially on roads and flying in and out of corn/grass during golden hours, but I shot my limits both days with minimal effort. Not sure I'm totally sold on the 28 for pheasants, but opening day birds in MN are not yet very educated in my experience, and there are often young birds in the mix, so I took a flier and it worked out. I'd always been pretty dismissive of 28 gauges for big birds, and it was good to teach myself a lesson. I missed one wood duck jumped off a pond, but otherwise didn't get a chance to test it out on decoying ducks, which is my only regret, cause there's no way I'm bringing that thing to my duck blind, nice as it is to carry. I think I'll be carrying a 16 in SoDak and Iowa or later in the season in Minnesota, but the 28 ga is gonna get a workout on Missouri and Kansas quail.

Felt squirrelish last week and bought a 28 ga for the opener. Cleaned it, oiled it, and, without having fired a shot, made my way to southwest MN. Saw fewer birds than last year (which was also noticeably down from previous years), especially on roads and flying in and out of corn/grass during golden hours, but I shot my limits both days with minimal effort. Not sure I'm totally sold on the 28 for pheasants, but opening day birds in MN are not yet very educated in my experience, and there are often young birds in the mix, so I took a flier and it worked out. I'd always been pretty dismissive of 28 gauges for big birds, and it was good to teach myself a lesson. I missed one wood duck jumped off a pond, but otherwise didn't get a chance to test it out on decoying ducks, which is my only regret, cause there's no way I'm bringing that thing to my duck blind, nice as it is to carry. I think I'll be carrying a 16 in SoDak and Iowa or later in the season in Minnesota, but the 28 ga is gonna get a workout on Missouri and Kansas quail.
You should never shoot young birds. Wait until November 12.

I went out Saturday, got to my spot really early, first one there. It was a decent sized piece for a lone hunter, a guy pulled up at 8:30 and asked to hunt with me. We talked for a minute and I said sure. He had a pointing dog and I had a retriever. The property was surrounded by corn on 90% of its border and it had all come out in the last four days. I thought it would be an awesome hunt. We walked the entire property and only put up one hen and one rooster that exited thick cover and no shot offered. It was about the most disappointed I've ever been after hunting a spot. Just can't believe how terrible it was, especially with the corn gone. I don't know if I'd ever hunt that spot again! Saturday afternoon hunting alone a rooster flushed in some trees and I had a bead and almost shot, but just couldn't get the positive I.D. in time, and when he hit the tops and the jetstream I saw his white ring as he hit warp speed and off over the slough he went. Tried some private stuff at the golden hour but only flushed really young birds and I didn't shoot. I leave them until after November 12th. Sunday I was thinking of taking a pass, had stuff going on during the day. Decided I better go out for the golden hour, went to the same WMA I hit a year ago on the same day, and sure enough we flushed a nice rooster and I only had to use one shell and we had our opener pheasant. This was hunting really close to the twin cities suburbs too! I took vacation the end of this week and will be going somewhere in MN, probably far west part of the state, I need to actually get a limit of birds one of these days! Sorry for blurry picture, very windy and excited dog make it tough to get a sharp photo.LEP.jpg

I went out Saturday, got to my spot really early, first one there. It was a decent sized piece for a lone hunter, a guy pulled up at 8:30 and asked to hunt with me. We talked for a minute and I said sure. He had a pointing dog and I had a retriever. The property was surrounded by corn on 90% of its border and it had all come out in the last four days. I thought it would be an awesome hunt. We walked the entire property and only put up one hen and one rooster that exited thick cover and no shot offered. It was about the most disappointed I've ever been after hunting a spot. Just can't believe how terrible it was, especially with the corn gone. I don't know if I'd ever hunt that spot again! Saturday afternoon hunting alone a rooster flushed in some trees and I had a bead and almost shot, but just couldn't get the positive I.D. in time, and when he hit the tops and the jetstream I saw his white ring as he hit warp speed and off over the slough he went. Tried some private stuff at the golden hour but only flushed really young birds and I didn't shoot. I leave them until after November 12th. Sunday I was thinking of taking a pass, had stuff going on during the day. Decided I better go out for the golden hour, went to the same WMA I hit a year ago on the same day, and sure enough we flushed a nice rooster and I only had to use one shell and we had our opener pheasant. This was hunting really close to the twin cities suburbs too! I took vacation the end of this week and will be going somewhere in MN, probably far west part of the state, I need to actually get a limit of birds one of these days! Sorry for blurry picture, very windy and excited dog make it tough to get a sharp photo.View attachment 4287
Good report, Bob. Hunting at Excelsior?St. Boni?

I snuck out this afternoon for about an hour and a half. Put up four hens that held for points and two roosters that remembered the game!! First point was less than 100yds from the truck on a field edge. I was sure we have an opportunity if it was a rooster but nope after several relocation points he flushed about 60 yds ahead. The hens were next. The last rooster came as we were working our way back to the truck. Had the wind to our backs. The dog pointed in a small brush patch. Nothing came out, the dog then worked the trail for about 150 yds. Point relocate, a blast to watch even with the wind at his back, he kept working it out. But the grass got thin the bird flushed about 50yds out. Frustrating but loved the dog work!

You should never shoot young birds. Wait until November 12.
Hmmm, how would you accurately age a rooster on the wing? Always willing to listen. I’ve shot a lot of pheasants in my life but I’ve never been able to see their primary feathers on the wing well enough to accurately age them without having the bird in hand and spreading out the wing and counting to see where they are at in the molt. Or are you talking about little white-headed late-hatch chicks?

Hmmm, how would you accurately age a rooster on the wing? Always willing to listen. I’ve shot a lot of pheasants in my life but I’ve never been able to see their primary feathers on the wing well enough to accurately age them without having the bird in hand and spreading out the wing and counting to see where they are at in the molt. Or are you talking about little white-headed late-hatch chicks?
I believe in giving pheasants a chance to live.I think November 10 is about right for first hunt.

Back