2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

It's not the easiest thing in the world to put yourself out there like that and present an honest look
I figured I better keep in the misses and miscues in order to show what our hunts are really like😅. The thing that sold me on filming was when I read somewhere on this board, and I'm paraphrasing, "I do it so that I can always remember my dog." I went online and ordered one right then and there.

And as a P.S. to A5, thanks for mentioning shotcut, because my old pc couldn't handle the other editing software I found, and I tried shotcut after you mentioned it, works great.

I figured I better keep in the misses and miscues in order to show what our hunts are really like😅. The thing that sold me on filming was when I read somewhere on this board, and I'm paraphrasing, "I do it so that I can always remember my dog." I went online and ordered one right then and there.

And as a P.S. to A5, thanks for mentioning shotcut, because my old pc couldn't handle the other editing software I found, and I tried shotcut after you mentioned it, works great.
Glad you're having some success! Are you having to edit using proxy files? It's an added step, but once you get the hang of it, not such a huge deal.

Question to you guys using GoPros in the field. Are you using looping video or just letting it record continuously?

Question to you guys using GoPros in the field. Are you using looping video or just letting it record continuously?
I try to start/stop as needed to include good stuff & exclude stupid stuff. I'm not always successful. But while actually hunting, I tend to let it go continuously, while the camera breaks large videos into "chapters" (smaller files) automatically. Max individual file size depends on your camera model, as well as the resolution & fps. I think. FWIW, my typical routine is to start with QuikCapture (one push of shutter button turns it on & starts recording) & stop with voice command. Seems to work well for me, as long as my camera is operating correctly.

Last edited:
Yeah I leave the camera on the entire time. I enabled the feature where the shutter button automatically starts recording/turns the camera on at the same time. If a bit of action happens, lets say you shoot and then bag a bird, I can hit the shutter button once to end the clip, then hit it again when I'm ready to start recording. This way even though some files are large, I generally look towards the end of the clip to find the important part. One of the largest concerns is battery life, if you record at a high frame rate, bit rate, and resolution this uses a lot of juice. Not to mention cold weather is tough on batteries. Just carry a bunch and keep a charger in the truck. Some guys have rigged larger power packs up (Anker is a common brand) and attached them to their hat or run a cord from the camera to the vest.

A5, yup I edited using proxy files. Takes a while to download/convert but worked very well for me.

Are any of you guys familiar with the dji osmo action 3 . Some of the stuff about it looks pretty cool. Quick connect mount. Battery life, and 18 minute 80 percent charging. The app editing looks pretty simple. Full on editing with any of them is kind of intimidating. The picture doesn’t appear to be as good as the go pro, I think you lose more in the shadows.

Are any of you guys familiar with the dji osmo action 3 . Some of the stuff about it looks pretty cool. Quick connect mount. Battery life, and 18 minute 80 percent charging. The app editing looks pretty simple. Full on editing with any of them is kind of intimidating. The picture doesn’t appear to be as good as the go pro, I think you lose more in the shadows.

I can't speak to the Osmo, but DJI has a solid reputation. I purchased a drone this past winter and have loved everything about it on the handful of times I've taken it out. Hoping spring will get here eventually.

I can't speak to the Osmo, but DJI has a solid reputation. I purchased a drone this past winter and have loved everything about it on the handful of times I've taken it out. Hoping spring will get here eventually.
Thanks Golden Hour I may give it a try. I’ve resisted scared I was going to look like this guy🤣
I probably start simple and mount with a necklace, Telesin makes a pretty good one and see where to go from there.
I have my hands full with two dogs, part of the reason I want to get one to see what kind of mistakes I’m making running them.015D4983-0F11-4D4A-932F-BAAF9EB3F57F.jpeg

Have you had a chance to get it out more. Are you going to add it to your hunting videos? Should be pretty neat

Have you had a chance to get it out more. Are you going to add it to your hunting videos? Should be pretty neat
I have had it out a few times and the footage is pretty incredible. Just trying to get myself familiarized right now, but the plan is to incorporate footage of the spots I hunt on next fall's videos.

I have my hands full with two dogs, part of the reason I want to get one to see what kind of mistakes I’m making running them.

On one occasion early last season, when I had all three dogs out, I dumped a bird in some pretty wooly stuff. I thought I smoked it, and I saw that Cash had a great mark on it, and was going straight to it. After what I thought had been enough time for him to find the bird (but after watching the footage only a few seconds had passed) I yelled "Pick him up, Cash! Here! Here! Cash, here!" A few seconds later, Cash popped out of the cover without the bird. We looked for that bird for a long time, but never recovered it.

I was really puzzled as to how Cash had failed to find that bird, until I got home and watched the footage and realized that some idiot had called him off of it! I definitely learned a lesson that day.

Last edited:
You guys make it look easy. It was all I could do to get it cut. I have a little time to play with it still. Maybe not in the field for a while, nesting.
My first attempt didnt turn out as well as I had hoped it would. A view from kansas except for maybe all of the cedars.

Nice footage! Thanks for sharing. Watching dogs look for birds never gets old.

For the past 10 years I've been traveling 1000+ miles from southern Indiana with a group of guys to South Dakota for the opener. Last year my 17 year old son and my 1 1/2 year old Lab, Gordy, made their first trip with us. Looking forward to this years trip. I'm aware of the disdain that some residents have for the "outta towners" coming in with big groups yelling "ROOSTER" all the time but this type of trip has introduced me, and now my son, to South Dakota pheasant hunting and encouraged me to get my own dog! Hopefully, in a few years, when retirement draws nearer I'll be able to make a few more trips to hunt with a smaller group behind the dogs. Anyway...I've been recording our hunts the last few years mainly as a way to remember and to share with family & friends.

Back