2021 RINGNECK OUTLOOK

Just because someone has a different opinion on something than you does not make it a "negative attitude". Some of us speak in terms that we feel reflect reality. My opinion is and will remain that what is left of a dwindling resource should be prioritized for residents of this state. Honestly, it comes off as pretty weak when "quit complaining" is used to discuss a topic.
...quit complaining...
You are correct in that a different opinion is just that, a different opinion.
However when the opinion is overall negative, then that is a negative opinion.
Most of the responses have taken a viewpoint of, enjoy what you have in the present knowing that it could always be worse.
If your sky is falling, .... wear a hardhat.

Not only am I coming for the second of many years in a row, I'm bringing friends and family.

Resident only season but if you own your own land you can't even hunt it because for some dumb reason it is public land only? Like let's drive all the birds off public to the pay hunt outfits to help them out. I've asked folks working for GFP and they have to legit answer as to why. Probably Kristi and Dennis before her helping their pals out. Dennis's pheasant summit accomplished nothing and the new administration in the state is even worse. Which I didn't think was possible. Don't even get me started on Larry Roden her right hand man. He's worse than Dennis or Kristi.

Resident only season but if you own your own land you can't even hunt it because for some dumb reason it is public land only? Like let's drive all the birds off public to the pay hunt outfits to help them out. I've asked folks working for GFP and they have to legit answer as to why. Probably Kristi and Dennis before her helping their pals out. Dennis's pheasant summit accomplished nothing and the new administration in the state is even worse. Which I didn't think was possible. Don't even get me started on Larry Roden her right hand man. He's worse than Dennis or Kristi.
You've got to be kidding me!? I've never heard this before

Resident only “season” is about a week before the general opener, and yes, public land only...3 day season??? Something like that.

Resident only “season” is about a week before the general opener, and yes, public land only...3 day season??? Something like that.
Interesting.....I grew up in the SE corner of SD and just started going back for pheasant season a couple years ago after a 25 year lapse. I guess I just assumed that residents got that full week before the general season. I'm so excited to get down there with a new pup this year that I can hardly stand it! Trying to stay positive about this drought and looks like they've been getting some cooler weather and rain lately, maybe a big one this morning?

Interesting.....I grew up in the SE corner of SD and just started going back for pheasant season a couple years ago after a 25 year lapse. I guess I just assumed that residents got that full week before the general season. I'm so excited to get down there with a new pup this year that I can hardly stand it! Trying to stay positive about this drought and looks like they've been getting some cooler weather and rain lately, maybe a big one this morning?
I got 2”....

Along with public land only comes no ditch hunting unless it is bordering public land. And only on that side of the road directly adjacent to it.

The drought is a very minor inconvenience if the habitat exists on the ground. The birds can overcome a bad weather year or two very quickly with an abundance of good habitat. SD can advertise til the cows come home but we won’t have bird numbers that are worth traveling for until habitat acres increase substantially.
Exactly. Amount of habitat is the number one driver of pheasant and other upland bird populations. Everyone knows that. Weather is a temporary issue from one year to the next. Drought, heavy rain, and mild or severe winters affect it secondarily.

Exactly. Amount of habitat is the number one driver of pheasant and other upland bird populations. Everyone knows that. Weather is a temporary issue from one year to the next. Drought, heavy rain, and mild or severe winters affect it secondarily.
I agree, to an extent. If they continually receive harsh weather conditions year in and year out which stresses the birds or causes an unsuccessful hatch, then that can become an issue. Last year was dry and this year is REALLY dry (so far). One bad year won't do them all in. So I agree habitat is number one by far. Stringing together years of harsh weather is a close second.

But as my dad always says "nothing you can do about the weather but bitch." Which I think is where were all at here.

long term drought could become a new and devastating stressor to bird survival. no matter the habitat, the significant and continuous lack of moisture could have long term affects on all wildlife. we are only in year two of this cycle, but it is obvious how this could play out.
You can't hunt all public ditches like during the normal season. So they guys who like to walk cover in ditches can't do that during resident season. Unless it is bordering a public hunting area.
ok, i see your explanation now, thanks.

"... worth traveling for..."
The worst year in SD will still be worth traveling for this cowboy.
1. Free private land
2. 7year old dog and a 7 month pup
3. Pennsylvania put and take
4. No strings, responsibility, nor time restraints
5. Repeat #2

I'll get er done,all in, for $500 + gas.
And with Pennsylvania gas prices, leaving the state is like a vacation unto itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_145854512.jpg
    IMG_20210514_145854512.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Back