2021 RINGNECK OUTLOOK

Big qualifier in there is "if Mother Nature continues to be kind".

From what I'm hearing, I think Mother Nature is pretty hot right now and taking it out on crops and wildlife.
Yes sir, I agree.

I can't help but think, how much is too much? What is too much for SD to withstand and still be able to produce huntable populations of wild birds? We have an ever shrinking landscape of suitable habitat. The shrinkage is attributable to low crp reimbursement rates as well as rising commodities followed up by population expansion. Then we have the harsh weather conditions. Brutal winters to scorching summers with assorted hail thrown in for good measure. Finally, we have a GFP and Executive that beg the entire nation's upland hunters to come pound the snot out of the public lands.

This resource will not be around forever. I think we are squandering the potential in this state.

Last edited:
When you’re only shooting roosters I don’t know it it’s an issue. Could be wrong. I was in SD a month ago and took a 35 minute drive at 8 am and saw more than 100 birds. I’ve had chick reports recently. There will be some birds. There was no winter to speak of.

Well this thread went South real quick.

What are you talking about?
Are you not familiar with the concept of a discussion board? One presents a topic and.....people discuss.
Sometimes topics take a turn one does not intend. Such is life when discussing topics for which people have passion.

I didn't mean to derail this discussion, carry on !

What negativity? Not being pollyanna-ish is not equivalent to negativity. I'm simply stating I am not relying on "reports" as I live here. The look on the ground is not super rosy. Yes, we had a winter that was helpful to pheasants. However, that is about where the good news ends.

I'm talking totality of circumstances, boss.

All I know is what the folks I hunt on tell me. They tell me very high temps and no dew at all for days and days and days.

That’s not me being negative; that’s me reporting what the farmers and ranchers where I hunt are telling me. Just the facts I’ve been given.

I’m still going and encourage others to follow their own plans.

I can't help but think, how much is too much? What is too much for SD to withstand and still be able to produce huntable populations of wild birds? We have an ever shrinking landscape of suitable habitat. The shrinkage is attributable to low crp reimbursement rates as well as rising commodities followed up by population expansion. Then we have the harsh weather conditions. Brutal winters to scorching summers with assorted hail thrown in for good measure. Finally, we have a GFP and Executive that beg the entire nation's upland hunters to come pound the snot out of the public lands.

This resource will not be around forever. I think we are squandering the potential in this state.
Tourist dollars (mine) are important.
Thousands flock to my state (Pennsylvania) to deer, bear and turkey hunt. Come on down and spend.

It's the UNITED States, not the Republic of SD. See ya'll this season.

Lol, nobody "flocks" to PA to hunt, it sucks. Very small deer (even with your Dr. Alt antler restrictions) and bears plagued by mange. The reason why it is not a state of high quality to hunt is because it is overpressured. That is the point I am trying to communicate in my comments here.

Thanks to PA we now have an Deputy US health secretary that is a tranny... nice contribution.

Lab.... I don't make a habit of this, but in your case, I'll gladly make an exception.
Your ignorance of the world is superceded only by your general ignorance.
This thread was begun by another...then"lab" took it over with a couple whiny bi-ach posts.
To your true ignorance, you brought in politics, which is never appreciated in many hunting circles and certainly not here.
Overpressure? In a day and age when young kids are not hunting? Give me a break.
To quote an old SNL skit...Jane, you ignorant slut.

Back