2021 Opener

Munster927

Does anyone know when the 2021 MN Pheasant Opener is going to be?

I just got a phone call from the hotel I book every year for opening weekend and they told me it's October 16th this year and not October 9th and asked if I wanted to book a different weekend. I can't find anything on the MN DNRs website about this year's opener so idk where the girl saw that info on. I've always assumed Pheasant Opener is the 2nd Saturday of October each year.

Anyone have any insight?

Here’s what I found online

Attachments

• 67EF5F74-5B68-41C5-A74F-10A503D55706.png
    67EF5F74-5B68-41C5-A74F-10A503D55706.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 13
Well damnit. Idk how she found that info. It took me awhile to find it myself.

Idk how the DNR decides the opener then. Last year it was October 10 (2nd Saturday of October) and that's what I always figured it was. Guess I gota hope the hotel I go to has the suite I book still available haha thanks everyone

I've lobbied the DNR for several years now on the opening date here in MN. Its too early. Traditionally it might have been fine, but with the warm temps and amount of crops still standing at that time of year now, opening it later in October and then keeping it open further into January seems like a win-win for all parties. Other neighboring states like Iowa and South Dakota have similar seasons and Minnesota should too. I'd much rather hunt in January when its 20 degrees out than in October when its 70 degrees out. South Dakota extended their season all the way through January last season.

I also noticed were essentially getting jipped out of a week of pheasant season this year. Last year the season ran October 10th - January 3rd. This year it's October 16th - January 2nd. I want more pheasant season not less damnit.

I found that banner as well but GSPs screenshot I found as well on the DNR page. Idk why they haven't updated the dates on the Pheasant page at least. If you look at the list of all hunting seasons you'll see the 2021 dates.

I did email the DNR and they replied to me saying the pheasant opener is always the Saturday closest to October 13th. Which is why it moves around. So now you all know too.

I did email the DNR and they replied to me saying the pheasant opener is always the Saturday closest to October 13th. Which is why it moves around. So now you all know too.
I get that’s what they told you but that’s BS. It’s been the 9,10,11 for years. It’s always on our around my birthday. They took a week off the season and didn’t give it on the back end.
South Dakota is not until the 16th because they have a youth season and a resident season. They are shooting birds way before us.
Iowa starts late but runs late.
Personally the more crops up the better. Lots of one weekend hunters. Less birds get shot. This cool weather has be getting excited!!

I've emailed the Minnesota DNR for at least 5 years now regularly on the start/end of the season here. Opening in mid October is way too early. Traditionally it may have been fine because crops were harvested on time and the temperatures were cooler. Nowadays, the beans are barely out and corn isn't taken down until November. Plus its about 65 or 70 degrees out. I believe it should start the last Saturday in October and extend into the middle of January. I've expressed my opinion on this more than once here, but I would much rather hunt in January when its 20 degrees out than in October when its 65. I know my dog would too. South Dakota has extended their season all the way through January on a permanent basis now and the vast majority of Minnesota's pheasant range has a similar climate as SD. Its time to adapt. The general waterfowl opener is way too early here too IMO. That should not be starting in September.

I haven't hunted a pheasant opener in a decade for these very reasons and I don't expect to this year either. My best hunting every season occurs right after corn harvest and into December after we get a fresh snow.

I've emailed the Minnesota DNR for at least 5 years now regularly on the start/end of the season here. Opening in mid October is way too early. Traditionally it may have been fine because crops were harvested on time and the temperatures were cooler. Nowadays, the beans are barely out and corn isn't taken down until November. Plus its about 65 or 70 degrees out. I believe it should start the last Saturday in October and extend into the middle of January. I've expressed my opinion on this more than once here, but I would much rather hunt in January when its 20 degrees out than in October when its 65. I know my dog would too. South Dakota has extended their season all the way through January on a permanent basis now and the vast majority of Minnesota's pheasant range has a similar climate as SD. Its time to adapt. The general waterfowl opener is way too early here too IMO. That should not be starting in September.

I haven't hunted a pheasant opener in a decade for these very reasons and I don't expect to this year either. My best hunting every season occurs right after corn harvest and into December after we get a fresh snow.
I think your point is valid as most of us on here are hard core bird chasers. However I think that change might deter the fair weather hunter that only makes it out for opener and are done for the season. It could cost the state a lot of money in license fees. Just a thought. I travel to Kansas in January to enjoy the warmer weather :cool:

I think your point is valid as most of us on here are hard core bird chasers. However I think that change might deter the fair weather hunter that only makes it out for opener and are done for the season. It could cost the state a lot of money in license fees. Just a thought. I travel to Kansas in January to enjoy the warmer weather :cool:
I think those folks that just go out for the opener and call it a year would still buy the license if it was 2 weeks later. But it's a valid point, I'm sure it might have some impact if it's pushed closer to our rifle deer season

However I think that change might deter the fair weather hunter that only makes it out for opener and are done for the season. It could cost the state a lot of money in license fees.
Very possible. I just think that the season should change as our climate and conditions are. The fact that Iowa and South Dakota have seasons going into January (or the whole month) and ours ends on Jan 2 tells me that its time for an update.

From talking to people in SD, it did not seem like January brought on too many SD hunters and it was even a mild January with not much snow. I would suspect the same, or even less January pressure in MN. People on this board (diehards) might hunt January, but your average hunter probably will not. I don't ice fish until pheasant season ends, so if it would get extended through January then I guess I really wouldn't ice fish much (yay!) anymore.

From talking to people in SD, it did not seem like January brought on too many SD hunters and it was even a mild January with not much snow. I would suspect the same, or even less January pressure in MN. People on this board (diehards) might hunt January, but your average hunter probably will not. I don't ice fish until pheasant season ends, so if it would get extended through January then I guess I really wouldn't ice fish much (yay!) anymore.
You're probably right. I haven't hunted in October in a decade because of the crops and heat though so a later start would be beneficial not only in terms of temps but also in terms of crop harvest.

As for the ice fishing thing...I gave that up 20 years ago. I have no intention to participate ever again.

You're probably right. I haven't hunted in October in a decade because of the crops and heat though so a later start would be beneficial not only in terms of temps but also in terms of crop harvest.

As for the ice fishing thing...I gave that up 20 years ago. I have no intention to participate ever again.
I hunt from the season opens until it ends. What’s good for you is not the same as good for all. People need to remember that.

I hunt Huns and sharp tails in September. Don’t see people wanting to start that season until October.

Back