2021 Opener

I hunt Huns and sharp tails in September. Don’t see people wanting to start that season until October.
Totally off topic, but do you hunt Huns in primarily pheasant country in September?

I ask because last time I went after huns I tried some areas I saw them the previous year pheasant hunting (not in the sharptail range at all) and people driving by gave me the dirtiest looks like I was out there poaching pheasants haha

Totally off topic, but do you hunt Huns in primarily pheasant country in September?

I ask because last time I went after huns I tried some areas I saw them the previous year pheasant hunting (not in the sharptail range at all) and people driving by gave me the dirtiest looks like I was out there poaching pheasants haha
Short grass wheat stubble edges seams to be my go to. But I have put up a covey and 30 yard later put up 4 pheasants.

Corn stubble edges. But normally short grass or shirt cover is the key.

I hunt from the season opens until it ends. What’s good for you is not the same as good for all. People need to remember that.

I hunt Huns and sharp tails in September. Don’t see people wanting to start that season until October.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of pheasant hunters here would favor a later opening date if the season was extended into January. The hunters that only go on opening weekend would still go as long as its held before firearms deer opener.

Would you personally rather hunt in mid October or early January given a choice?

Would you personally rather hunt in mid October or early January given a choice?
I'll do both with a smile on my face and thoroughly enjoy it. However if I have to choose, the thought of combines rolling in the distance and 50 degrees outside sounds more appealing than sinking through snow drifts with a stiff north wind blowing into my face and battling cold fingers or uncomfortable gloves.

and 50 degrees outside
Given those specific conditions, I would favor what you indicated too. However, 50 degrees is an afterthought in mid October here now. Its supposed to be 80 on Saturday again and humid. I'll take the snow drifts in January instead of that.

Totally agree. MN hardly has a fall/spring anymore. We have summer and winter now haha Last year on deer opener it was 70 degrees. I chose not to shoot a deer (albeit a small little buck) because it was so warm.

I will add that its looking like 60s next weekend which is alot better than the 80 it was last year on the Sunday of opener

There was a time when MN closed mid-December.

Season start has nothing to do with season end date. Pheasant season (unlike waterfowl) are not governed by a maximum number of days. Season length is not going to change the overall harvest too much and with roosters only ... does it matter.

MN DNR does not have to move out of October to get to the end in January. Nor will they.

I like the opener exactly where it is - that way by the end of October when I start hunting MN pheasants the opening crowd fades away. Pushing out the opener then puts that 1 - 2 week delay right on top of deer season ... no thanks.

Those that want to hunt January now have plenty of out of state opportunities ...

Ruffed grouse hunters have struggled as much with early fall heat as any group. Out tonight and it was terrible. That said 3 absolute solid points and one bird home. Same said for the prairie grouse hunters.

Prairie grouse hunting is definitely rough. The best time to be out is early (at least from my experiences). 2 weeks ago prairie chicken hunting it was sunny and 80 each day for me.

Unfortunately pheasants in MN open at 9AM. Takes away the opportunity to hunt early during warmer days.

Nearly every October the past 5 - 10 years have had 10 - 15 days above average. Grouse hunting efforts have suffered for sure.

My point is the season does not need to start later in order for the end date to be extended into January.

MN has pushed the end date out from mid-December to December 31st to January 3rd this year. Why not say season ends 1st Sunday after January 1st or stretch it a bit to 2nd Sunday in January. At that point, the birds need to live a little more unmolested ... get into winter cover and survival mode.

Those that want to hunt deeper into January have SD and Kansas and likely a host of pheasant preserves to accomidate ... or maybe go chase coyotes, squirrels and rabbits :unsure: deep into February.

My point is the season does not need to start later in order for the end date to be extended into January.

MN has pushed the end date out from mid-December to December 31st to January 3rd this year. Why not say season ends 1st Sunday after January 1st or stretch it a bit to 2nd Sunday in January. At that point, the birds need to live a little more unmolested ... get into winter cover and survival mode.
I'm on board with this. Right around when Iowa closes would be perfectly fine.

Back