2020 Montana Pheasant Forcast

It's been a long while since anywhere in Montana has been good. I hunt all over, and all my old spots have been way way down. In my travels in Eastern Montana this year I don't think I've seen a single rooster. Used to see dozens. Lewistown, Sidney, Glasgow are all the same. Unless they are hiding when I drive by, it isn't looking good.

It's been a long while since anywhere in Montana has been good. I hunt all over, and all my old spots have been way way down. In my travels in Eastern Montana this year I don't think I've seen a single rooster. Used to see dozens. Lewistown, Sidney, Glasgow are all the same. Unless they are hiding when I drive by, it isn't looking good.
I get what you are saying.Northeast has been way down the last 2 years.Ive never seen it so sparse. It was that winter, 3 years ago, that really hammered them!!

I get what you are saying.Northeast has been way down the last 2 years.Ive never seen it so sparse. It was that winter, 3 years ago, that really hammered them!!
Absolutely wrong.....again. You do not know what you speak. The severe drought 3 summers ago is what decimated the population. If you are going to put stuff out there, try, and I know it is hard, be educated on the topic.

Absolutely wrong.....again. You do not know what you speak. The severe drought 3 summers ago is what decimated the population. If you are going to put stuff out there, try, and I know it is hard, be educated on the topic.
ok, but the population of game birds has been way down the last 2 seasons. That I do know, because I spent a lot of time out there.

Well, I can't say whether the bird population has been down the last couple of years because of the drought or the winter or the elephant in the room(the disappearance of CRP), but it has been down. If it is up this year somewhat let's all be thankful.

I did okay in the drought years, since I knew where there was water, but it sure was bad where there wasn't a river. Mt hunting is on the edge, mild winter, good conditions during the hatch, make that 2 or 3 years in a row and zowie. Have a drought or a bad winter and it's boot leather.

Well, I can't say whether the bird population has been down the last couple of years because of the drought or the winter or the elephant in the room(the disappearance of CRP), but it has been down. If it is up this year somewhat let's all be thankful.
I hope so.I enjoy eastern mt.It doesn't get pounded by hunters as much as central.And what happened to all the CRP??? You are right, that has a big effect on bird numbers. Last season, places that held at least 10 roosters, would have one!Maybe...

All 3 things hurt, but that drought was the worst since 1976, it was devastating...
Yep. I spoke to biologist here in NE Montana , I was told that the hen's laid eggs, but do to the extreme dryness that summer, moisture just was not around, the eggs require some moisture in order for the chicks to peck out of the egg. Lots of farmers were finding unhatched nest, it was a sad ordeal. NE Montana has experienced a decade most would like to forget, record snow in 2010-11, subsequent record rain and flooding that summer. Last year may be a bright spot for upland, due to the early and long lasting moisture the area experienced late last summer and winter, many crops were left in the field, frustrating to farmers, but the birds should have benefitted from it.

You know I thought getting on this site would be a relief from all the know everything posts out in the world... but no. Please feel free to drop me!

Back