2015 Habitat projects

Are they going to drill the beans in. (No till). If you can avoid opening up the soil. You be ahead of the game next year. You missed a couple nice days of fishing.:). I'll call you tomorrow when I head home. I'll drop off some supper for you and the wifey.

Deal----they didn't say how they were going to plant the beans. They have replanted 220 acres of winter wheat of our land--160 to beans and 60 to oats , they will hay the oats, they did this to keep the crop rotation straight---boy do we need some rain and soon.:eek:

Jim, Thanks for the tour yesterday! I enjoyed it a lot.. Nice seeing hens and roosters (and the deer) out playing around in your habitat.

Well it rained about 4.5 inches in May and today the beans got planted.

Big Blue and planter

On the go.

40 feet per pass

Almost done

Now I wait again until harvest time --then it's a fall planting of the main course of nesting cover and maybe a pollinator plot.

Last edited:
Anxious to see how they come up in that amount of thatch.. Great job..

It was planted 2 Jun and today is the 27th----here is what it looks like today
seems to have come rather well thru the thatch.

Jim, have they hit the beans with glyphosate yet? If not , you got very good control out of the first applications. Doesn't look like much weed pressure from what I see in the pictures ..

Have had a little rain 2.53 inches in the last 4 days and the pond is filling up

The first proof that the habitat is working--Mama Mallard and 7 ducklings

Wildflowers near the dugout

Last edited:
Looks like I have some more ground that I can enroll in CRP--this time its CP-37--Duck Nesting Habitat Initiative and I may be able to do up to 80 or so acres or less if that works out better.:D Tomorrow the process will begin with phone calls and maybe a visit to the FSA office and will include a talk with the farmer currently doing crops on the plot. I'll keep ya all posted on my progress.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks like I have some more ground that I can enroll in CRP--this time its CP-37--Duck Nesting Habitat Initiative and I may be able to do up to 80 or so acres or less if that works out better.:D Tomorrow the process will begin with phone calls and maybe a visit to the FSA office and will include a talk with the farmer currently doing crops on the plot. I'll keep ya all posted on my progress.:thumbsup:

I think that works great for pheasants too!

Everything is looking great Jim! I can picture a hen with her chicks dusting themselves and chasing insects around your pond too. Good luck with the new enrollment:thumbsup:

Nick

Well the plan is in for the pond and the WSNG planting I started on last fall.
The seed mix is as follows.

Name % 0f mix
Big Bluestem 20
Indiangrass 15
Switchgrass 15
Sideoats gama 15
Little Bluestem 15
Prairie Coneflower 7
Grayhead Coneflower 7
Purple Coneflower 7
Western Yarrow 7
Canada Milkvetch 7
Purple Prairie Clover 7
False Sunflower 7
Maximillan Sunflower 7
Wild Bergamont 7
Stiff Golden Rod 7

This will be a spring 2016 planting (33 ac) at an estimated cost of $5610.00
A really big step as I get to front the money and get it back after the practice in installed and inspected :eek:
Yep I know that the numbers above add up to 150% and it even says that at the top of the list, ????

Last edited:
Well we had 1.26" of rain in about 40 minutes this morning and I thought that the project pond should have filled up a bit more, so I went and checked on it. Parked the ATV on the edge of the beans and walked over to see and met the biggest old skunk at the corner of the dirt pile---quick look at the pond ---the skunk--and beat a very quick retreat--took some pictures from the ATV and came home. Ya know that skunk did not seem to be afraid of me---must have known I had forgot the 9mm at home--won't do that again!!!!!!! :(

The dirt berm--I let it go to see what would grow

At the other side of the beans from the pond--lots of cover again this year

Last edited:
Yeah, skunks hanging around in broad daylight isn't good. Good luck with that guy.

Nick

Lots of habitat this year--the pond clean up done last fall--for you that have hunted here this one is on the West Place

CRP field edge -- note height of grass

The corn is 10ft tall and the beans are waist deep --every thing is looking good

Last edited:
Looks great Jim! Any plans on putting a few perch or sunfish in those ponds?

Rain really helps--here are acouple of photos from the habitat improvement project

Just behind the pond

The pond

Back