2015 fall

okiengineer

looking for an outfitter for three experienced pheasant hunters
wild birds only
3-4 days
looking for style of hunting with blockers have one member of the hunting party with heart condition i.e. needs to block 80-90% of time

any ideas would be great
thanks

looking for an outfitter for three experienced pheasant hunters
wild birds only
3-4 days
looking for style of hunting with blockers have one member of the hunting party with heart condition i.e. needs to block 80-90% of time

any ideas would be great
thanks

Hi,
I think you will find more opportunities with more hunters. We have a seven hunter minimum which does get reduced later in the season. South Dakota Wild might take smaller groups. Good luck.

Try Sandy Cedars Lodge in Hitchcock, SD. Jim and Mike Puffer. Good people. They have lots of grass, milo and sorghum strips which will work good for your blocker. You may end up with a few other hunters to get to 4-5 hunters.

You might try googling "pheasant hunting - SD" to see other possibilities that are available, other than what's advertised on this site. You might be pleasantly surprised buy the sheer number of hunting camps that exist.

Good luck!

Try Dakota prairie lodge in kimball. I used to work there and we always took small groups and had great success and yes we hunted all wild birds but also had a preserve.

Try Dakota prairie lodge in kimball. I used to work there and we always took small groups and had great success and yes we hunted all wild birds but also had a preserve.

holy shit man!! $650 per gun, per day?? i would have to be insane to pay that!!:eek:

Century Farm Hunts

You could try Century Farm Hunts out of Gregory, SD. I was there first week of November. There was five of hunting for three days. Dick And Sally are great hosts, first class operation. Nice lodging, good food, good hunting.

Hi Okiengineer,

Please take a look at our outfitting business: www.oohunting.com

We drive blockers to the end of the field in a pickup truck, ATV or prowler. You get full access / use of the farm house while you are hunting at oohunting. We only have wild birds. You are welcome to bring your own dogs or we have plenty of guide dogs available. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

-Chris

Didn't find the little icon to hit...you're right, $300 a day, plus tax. By the time you pay for gasoline, shells and license - over a grand for the trip.

So stay near home and hunt the put and take birds---or you could come to SD --pay really big ($1000 is not big money) and hunt put and take birds----or you could try a do it yourself hunt on wild birds ---of course wild birds can become a REAL HUNT after the 1st couple of weeks. Of course if the COST per lb is important then go to the grocery store and buy chicken---way cheaper :cheers:

Adrenalin

So stay near home and hunt the put and take birds---or you could come to SD --pay really big ($1000 is not big money) and hunt put and take birds----or you could try a do it yourself hunt on wild birds ---of course wild birds can become a REAL HUNT after the 1st couple of weeks. Of course if the COST per lb is important then go to the grocery store and buy chicken---way cheaper :cheers:

We spend two weeks each year in South Dakota. Either as one trip or two separate, one early & one late.
What is the price of a real hunt with the adrenalin rush? We do our own hunts. We walk & follow the dogs. Wild Roosters relocating with the dog in tow (Pointy dogs) keeps me going another year. If I put the calculator to my hunting costs I may as well live "Like a bean counter."

I don't get much of a rush buying chicken in the store.

Fourtrax you are right--it is what keeps us sane in the off season--those memories--I was just pointing out that there is a pheasant hunt for all --you just have to decide what you want--just don't trash talk about how much it costs and if it costs to much for you then try to find a cheaper way.

I'm to old now but there was a time--I remember sleeping on the city park table in Midland SD--pitching tents in road ditches--sleeping in the back of the truck--and all of this in good to really foul weather--if there is the will there is a way. If you love hunting then do it--find a way--just don't woe is me with how much it costs---I know all about the costs of pheasant hunting and a thousand bucks is chicken feed--ditch chicken that is and that's before the season even gets here.

Jim, Yeah for sure. I'm an old guy, still park here and there camp wherever, always hunting for the wild birds.

Last edited:

You are so right. I quit figuring cost per bird a long time ago. I've gotten 4 in kansas for a half tank of gas, and ive shot one in three day's in western kansas for 3-400 bucks. Prime steak is a bunch cheaper, but people lok at me funny when i go through the grocery store telling the dog to flush em up

Back