okiengineer

2 man limit western ok only took 5 covies
My one year old locked
up on a 35 bird covey

photo_2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Great Pic! 5 coveys in a day....wow

Sounds like a good time. Hope I have similar luck when I head out later this week.

Sounds like a great day! Your pup looks just like one I had growing up. Gotta love a pretty setter locked up on a bunch of birds.

well done. Not seeing much in the way of quail this year so far but most of my normal spots are a little wet.

Sounds like the public spot I hunted last weekend is the same one you're referring to JMichigan. Quail are way down compared to last year on this place... think they mostly got flooded out this summer. Moved a few coveys and several pheasants but very disappointing.

Thinking about heading that way in two weeks. We hunted up around medford and pond creek a few years back and had a blast. Where are some of the better public grounds in the north central / north east? Any opinion on there vs kansas? Thanks!

Sad part is that I know they are around bc I flushed a bunch of coveys in October. Just gotta Put in the leg work this year. Grain fields are a bust after the ice storm now too.

I hear ya JMich. Our difficulties were not because a lack of leg work. Esetter, Grant, Garfield, Alfalfa, and Kay Counties can all have great mixed bag opportunities. However, there is hardly any public land in NC OK. Supposedly there are some birds on some of the public areas that surround lakes in NE OK near the KS border. I've seen some good reports from both KS and OK... but mainly western portions of both. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

There are tons of birds this year
quail and pheasant. I don't want to tell you how many birds we have been moving even on public

Heading west on the 21st to hunt for a couple of days. Spoke to one of the biologists out there regarding the ice storm. He felt they dodged disaster by only a day or so. Said the birds were without food for about three days for the most part.

Said he had some reports of skinny birds following the melt and he figured most of the birds burned through their fat reserves. He felt confident that it was still worth the trip. He thought the warm week following the ice storm helped tremendously.

This was one close call. Could have easily ruined the best season in many years.

I have not been out yet. I've been deer hunting all fall and have heard a lot of birds whistling at daylight and the ranch I hunt in Osage County has good reports. Will start hunting quite a bit in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Sounds promising! We hunted in Grant county last time. Looks like we are headed to KS because we already have a license from last year that is still good and a place to stay. We will be in OK for sure next year. Good luck!

very nice....was hoping THIS year was the year I'd be able to make it to Oklahoma......not looking like it though

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

On the way back from the panhandle
2 days killed 33 roosters and 11 quail
Blowing snow expecting 10 inches

Last edited:
Hope this weather isn't a disaster on the birds... Great hunt!! Thanks for sharing some pic's!!:cheers:

We've just had rain on the east side of the state but we've had a lot of it. Sitting at a bit over 5" north of Tulsa. I know they've had close to 10" east of here. It should be out of here tomorrow afternoon.

Would have been quite a storm here if it had been cold. Gone from the worst drought in decades to the wettest year on record by far in Tulsa. Crazy. I have never seen it rain like this in December. Snow out west...

got into both quail and pheasant pretty good again this weekend. Poor shooting ruled the day. Even the quail were running and pulled a couple houdinis on us. killed one rooster.

Bad news

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

Went out west last wed. 25-30 foot drifts and hard pack snow averaging 10 or more inches. All the coveys where all taking cover under bare trees out in the open.
Not good!
Not good at all!
Went back east toward the city to hunt in 4-5 inches of snow and we all limited

Last edited:
Back