2013 Season

bones

Well I'll be headed to Kansas again this fall. probably be hunting some of the same area I've hunted with my buddies for the last two years. Bird numbers may be down and there may not be as many fields as posted in the WIHA thread but gonna go and have fun anyway. May knock on a few doors too.

I can't believe some of the stuff posted on the WIHA thread. I grew up back east in Virginia, was a Soldier for 21 years and landed in Colorado at retirement. (No I am not looking for thank yous or invites, I did a job I loved until it was time to move on and was proud to do it and thankful to have a job. ) Throughout my military career I was all over this country, and have never seen so much public land or land open for public use; good, bad or otherwise.

In Va where I grew up if you had no family relation to someone there was no way you were hunting private property and public land was mainly National Forest if you lived close enough or 40 are wood lots "managed" as Wildlife Management areas. Even during squirrel season the woods looked like a pumpkin garden.

I was stationed at Ft Hood in Texas, Ft Polk in Louisiana and Ft Knox in Kentucky all those states were pay to play and the pay part was very high. I would not bash WIHA too hard. In just two or three fields in Kansas or, Colorado for that matter or fact, I see more land open to hunting than I saw open to the public anywhere else I have lived.

I can't wait for my Kansas trip. We may or may not find many birds though I am sure we will find a few. I am also positive we'll make some new friends while we are out there too; you folks in Kansas are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people in the nation; regardless about what is said about southerners and you do a steak better than the average Texan. I really enjoy it out there. One of my new favorite hunting memories is an argument/discussion I had with a local hunter in the Wakeeny area about whether GSPs or Brittanys are better pheasant finders.The dog and I can't wait for Nov 9th.

It is still very important that you guy's all go hunting! Stay in some Motels and eat at some diners! Spend some of your hard earned money. While having a good time you will be helping a few folks out with their annual incomes that have taken a big hit!! Mary at the Diner, her husband may be a wheat farmer. We all know the wheat has sucked for 3 years now out in Western half of the state. These people could sure use that little extra money to get over the hump a little bit. $200 bucks extra to some of these families is a big deal. Take some homemade jam or jelly, bottle of wine or whatever with you and make some new friends, have a good time. It is not all about the bird!

Bones, like you I have found the Kansas folks to be the nicest people I have ever met anywhere. I will be there for opening day and I hope to find some birds. The Kansas folks we hunt with told us by email that we wouldn't need our shotguns this year! And by the way, even if you're not looking for one, Thank You for all you did. I have a son-in-law who retired three years ago after 20years in the Army. A long time ago I did four years in the Marines. Happy hunting.

Shotguns

Just like your dog, your shotgun needs to go for a walk once in a while also. Don't leave home without it

cheers

Well I'll be headed to Kansas again this fall. probably be hunting some of the same area I've hunted with my buddies for the last two years. Bird numbers may be down and there may not be as many fields as posted in the WIHA thread but gonna go and have fun anyway. May knock on a few doors too.

I can't believe some of the stuff posted on the WIHA thread. I grew up back east in Virginia, was a Soldier for 21 years and landed in Colorado at retirement. (No I am not looking for thank yous or invites, I did a job I loved until it was time to move on and was proud to do it and thankful to have a job. ) Throughout my military career I was all over this country, and have never seen so much public land or land open for public use; good, bad or otherwise.

In Va where I grew up if you had no family relation to someone there was no way you were hunting private property and public land was mainly National Forest if you lived close enough or 40 are wood lots "managed" as Wildlife Management areas. Even during squirrel season the woods looked like a pumpkin garden.

I was stationed at Ft Hood in Texas, Ft Polk in Louisiana and Ft Knox in Kentucky all those states were pay to play and the pay part was very high. I would not bash WIHA too hard. In just two or three fields in Kansas or, Colorado for that matter or fact, I see more land open to hunting than I saw open to the public anywhere else I have lived.

I can't wait for my Kansas trip. We may or may not find many birds though I am sure we will find a few. I am also positive we'll make some new friends while we are out there too; you folks in Kansas are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people in the nation; regardless about what is said about southerners and you do a steak better than the average Texan. I really enjoy it out there. One of my new favorite hunting memories is an argument/discussion I had with a local hunter in the Wakeeny area about whether GSPs or Brittanys are better pheasant finders.The dog and I can't wait for Nov 9th.

It sounds like you may have run into a britney guy named SHADOW:D:D

It will likely be a season of hard earned birds, but that's still a lot more fun than not going :thumbsup:

Good thread, Hard earned birds are the good ones.
Take some good pics. :thumbsup:

Back