2013 Season Observations

birds

There are still plenty of birds out there, no need to walk onto someone else's land to get them. I bet that's why people don't want others hunting their lands....... they have enough people willing to just walk on and hunt, now.

Being an out of stater and darn grateful for the opportunity to hunt great habitat and having a real good chance to find birds, the last thing I want to do is offend the locals. That's why I try to only use my dogs on public land. If I see birds in the ROW on a minimum service road I don't really need the dogs then anyway. This year I had to pass on some road birds just to get the dogs some hunting time.

I too am an out of stater with limited access to private land do appreciate the opportunity to hunt ROW on minimal maintenance roads. It is a privilege and one to be taken seriously. Meaning know the laws and obey the laws. When in doubt take the perspective of the locals.
Ironically I was hunting north of Platte SD this fall and could not believe the number of locals driving the roads at excessive speeds road hunting. It got on my nerves as to me it was not fair chase they were after.

I can tell you with 1st hand experience that the guy who threatened to kill and then kicked my brothers shorthair and pointed his shotgun at her 2 days after my visla got hit by some damn ass speeding on my road will never be the same. nor will his 2 buddies who decided to come to his rescue.....bad move on their part.

I would highly suggest you call the police and have them ticketed.

I am all for private land rights, but mess with a guys dog and you most likely will bite off more than you want to handle.

I can tell you with 1st hand experience that the guy who threatened to kill and then kicked my brothers shorthair and pointed his shotgun at her 2 days after my visla got hit by some damn ass speeding on my road will never be the same. nor will his 2 buddies who decided to come to his rescue.....bad move on their part.

I would highly suggest you call the police and have them ticketed.

I am all for private land rights, but mess with a guys dog and you most likely will bite off more than you want to handle.

I agree. That goes for a guys anything, land, fences, cattle, cats, machinery, horses and anything else there is.

Part of the danger that I observe by the hunting of road ditches besides creating a traffic hazard especially during the fall harvest it can create an interaction when abused of tempers getting way out of hand. Often times law enforcement is not just right there to settle things down and can/could/has lead to very poor choices.

I think there are thousands of right of way hunts throughout the state that go off without issue, and the actual issues represent a very,very small percentage. With that said, it doesn't discount those issue that are legitimate ,regards of what side of the fence you are on.

I don't hunt ROW primarily because I am blessed to have access to some good private land, and have done my research as to the public areas that don't get pounded day after day. I for one would hate to see RoW access denied, down the road, for those that utilize it. What worries me more than legislature changing the law would be township boards vacating RoW back to landowner control to be fenced off, posted, or otherwise restricted because of liability. Like I posted before, there is more habitat destruction going on in the RoW right now across the state that isn't producer based, it's mandated by township boards to eliminate liability.

If I were to go into the ditch at road speeds, I would've much rather done it a month ago, when there were small trees and brush to slow me down than today, with a row of 30 inch stumps 4feet high. One can only assume that they will have to go also, eventually. If you drive around much, you don't have to look far to see this happening. It's mandated by the townships and upheld by the courts.

I think there are thousands of right of way hunts throughout the state that go off without issue, and the actual issues represent a very,very small percentage. With that said, it doesn't discount those issue that are legitimate ,regards of what side of the fence you are on.

I don't hunt ROW primarily because I am blessed to have access to some good private land, and have done my research as to the public areas that don't get pounded day after day. I for one would hate to see RoW access denied, down the road, for those that utilize it. What worries me more than legislature changing the law would be township boards vacating RoW back to landowner control to be fenced off, posted, or otherwise restricted because of liability. Like I posted before, there is more habitat destruction going on in the RoW right now across the state that isn't producer based, it's mandated by township boards to eliminate liability.

If I were to go into the ditch at road speeds, I would've much rather done it a month ago, when there were small trees and brush to slow me down than today, with a row of 30 inch stumps 4feet high. One can only assume that they will have to go also, eventually. If you drive around much, you don't have to look far to see this happening. It's mandated by the townships and upheld by the courts.

I would like to correct that. It is mandated by the state and it falls to the township to enforce it. If we don't and something happens we and the landowner are liable.

Back