2013 Drought Monitor

New to how this works... but will these late season rains have much effect on pheasants? On one hand it seems like the season was already "dead" after a coverless breeding season... on the other hand, maybe this will help get cover for the birds for the winter. Although maybe that is more for next year.

I've seen thoughts scattered here and there, but not simple and laid out...Opinions?

rain

if you are thinking kansas, much of the state didn't fair too well with getting much of the stuff. when i was in some of my area in n. w. kansas a couple of weeks ago i saw very little evidence of any extra moisture, land was dry, grass was short and in general the area looked terrible. i think that by the time the areas did get much needed rain, the chicks were old enough to not be effected by it and long as it wasn't hail. next year is a long way away but in some of the state it is likely to be trouble again without some serious spring or winter moisture and then that can present it's own set of problems also

cheers

if you are thinking kansas, much of the state didn't fair too well with getting much of the stuff. when i was in some of my area in n. w. kansas a couple of weeks ago i saw very little evidence of any extra moisture, land was dry, grass was short and in general the area looked terrible. i think that by the time the areas did get much needed rain, the chicks were old enough to not be effected by it and long as it wasn't hail. next year is a long way away but in some of the state it is likely to be trouble again without some serious spring or winter moisture and then that can present it's own set of problems also

cheers

Wow, Mr. Danny Downer now aren't you :(

I believe with a good wet winter and spring (minus severe hail storms) things should rebound. Even if they get blizzards, things shouldn't be too bad. I can remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s, we had some really bad blizzards in SW Kansas and the birds didn't suffer to bad the next season because the spring and summer provided moisture and were not to dry or hot.

This is just my experience and knowledge. We are in a down cycle right now for Kansas and other areas, however give it a couple of years and it will swing back up again. :D

You see what positive thinking does for you.

Greg

I swear , Last one till 2014

Good improvement

20130924_high_plains_text_zps64047d92.png

New to how this works... but will these late season rains have much effect on pheasants? On one hand it seems like the season was already "dead" after a coverless breeding season... on the other hand, maybe this will help get cover for the birds for the winter. Although maybe that is more for next year.

I've seen thoughts scattered here and there, but not simple and laid out...Opinions?

Like you said, this is just my opinion, i don't have any particular studies to back me up or anything. After looking at the rainfall (and yes my analysis is mostly based on only rainfall, which is one of the problems with it, and the rainfall is according to the NOAA website, so it might not be exact) it really seems like some places will be a little better than last year, and some worse. Say Morgan and Washington counties for example, they got more rain in April, May and June (the important months for new nesting cover to grow) than they did last year, while Yuma got less than last year in the same months. But Yuma County in August and July got anywhere from the same to more rain than Morgan and Washington this year, and rain during this time is very important for the tall warm season grasses to really take off right at the end of the growing season. So it is possible (not incredibly likely, but definitely possible) that Yuma's birds could have had more late hatches, because of the late rain, and the same for the other counties, but especially Yuma. But in September Morgan and Washington may have gotten too much rain, in that any late nesting birds could have been flooded out, or chicks gotten too wet, while Yuma didn't get quite as rain much as those other two (but this only applies if there were late hatches). So, in conclusion, i think the birds will be slightly up from last year in some counties, like Morgan and Washington, and slightly down from last year in places like Yuma that got less rain when they needed it. But the birds will probably be hard to find, even harder than last year, because there's gonna be so much more cover than last year with almost the same bird numbers. But all this rain will definitely help with next year's nesting cover. Thanks for reading my novel about pheasant population predictions (if you actually took the time to read it). :D

p.s. This could be totally and completely wrong and all this may have been a waste of time. :eek:

UplandLevi, you are on the right track. There are a lot of variables to consider, but if you look at moisture, how much and when, along with the wheat harvest ( bushels per acre ) and if the harvest was delayed or ahead of schedule, high and low temps during peak brood rearing time, one can put their selves in the right area with less scouting( boots on the ground). Do this for 10 years and you should have a pretty good model for success. Sure, you may have to tweak some things because of other influences. But you will be way ahead of the guy who comes on uph with their first post asking where the birds are. It will give you a sense of accomplishment as well!:cheers:

Back